The Official Website of AgoraCart and Agora.cgi
AgoraCart.com Demos Download AgoraCart User Manuals & Wiki Gold Members Forum Go Gold Now! Gold Version Memberships

AgoraCart.com

About
Features
Download
Payment Gateways
Send a Donation
Founders Club
BLOG: News & Updates

Showcases & Demos

AgoraCart Demos
Shop Live Stores

Downloads & Add-ons

Gold Version Downloads
DBwizz Database Mgr.
AgoraCart.com Store

Help & Support

User Manuals
Gold Version Users Forum
Gold Version Chat
Tech Support
Certified Agora Pros
Certified Designers
Hire a Freelancer

Gold Version Members

Member Benefits
Join Today!
Gold Members Home
Gold Version Users Forum
Gold Version Chat Rooms
Gold Version Downloads

For Store Owners

Merchant Accounts
Cool Resources
Advertise Here
"Powered by" Logos
Web Hosting Search

Misc.

Contact Us
MEET's Talking Guide
The Ancient Greek Agora

AgoraCart Free User Forums

This is the official FAQ and Cool Tips guide For the AgoraCart shopping Cart software

Official Sponsors of the AgoraCart Project:

RegisterSearchFAQLog in
Reply to topic Page 1 of 1
How can the Cookie name match the domain?
Post How can the Cookie name match the domain? 
Hi. First want to say agora is wonderful to use. We used solena sol's before, but since ipower turned us on to your agora cart, we've been quite pleased.

There is a long list of things we have yet to get finished on the site, but one simple thing I think someone could help us with is the user's local cookie name. It seems to use a folder name 'shop' from the directory path rather than the domain name. Here are the params I believe effect the settings:

admin_files\agora_user_lib.pl(175): $sc_domain_name_for_cookie = "roan-tw.com";
admin_files\agora_user_lib.pl(176): $sc_path_for_cookie = "/cgi-bin/shop";

Any ideas how to get this setup correctly? I notice 'www.agoraguide.com' does this just fine.
Thanks!
RoAn

Ahhh, another former web store user....
You will find AgoraCart Much better than Web Store was.

You should not need to edit that file directly.
Make sure you set up everything you can in the store manager *before* editing any files directly. The manager does pretty much all of the settings in the agora_user_lib.pl file.

If you are having a specific issue after setting up the manager, either search the forum for a solution or post your question here and we will be glad to help you.

HTH!

Last edited by scottcrew on Mon Oct 03, 05 5:48 pm; edited 1 time in total

Get a Gold Membership
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger ICQ Number
yes. cookies are specific to the domain as well as the store path.
when you first enter the store manager you must set the store url complete with the www in most cases. once you have established the obligitory two " . " in the domain name and submit then your cookies will be automatically set for the proper domain and path to agora.cgi.
when you then attempt to save another manager setting on a different page in the same session you should encounter the login screen again. this is beacuse the default user_admin ships with an empty store url. once you establish your store url then cookies will be mismatched forcing you to login once more. after that you should not encounter any more problems saving manager settings. if you do then you may have a leading or trailing blank space in the store url or some other typo that differs from the url in the address bar.
so no need to worry about cookies as long as your settings in the "main agoracart store settings" are correct.
don't forget to set up the offline gateway url before developing or you will be taken to agoracart.com when you attempt to check out.
dan

Thanks Bonnie and Dan for the help. The store is already up and running, you'll notice we've already localized most of it with traditional mandarin. I did try and find cookie settings through the store manager, but "shop" is still used to name the user cookie. Any ideas how to get the user's cookie name to match the domain?

http://www.roan-tw.com/cgi-bin/shop/agora.cgi
so that is the reason "shop" is in the cookie. it is the name of the store's directory.
where you're having problems is in the linking. on your home page for example you have...
http://roan-tw.com/cgi-bin/shop/agora.cgi?keywords=Floor&ppinc=roan
what you should have is...
http://www.roan-tw.com/cgi-bin/shop/agora.cgi?keywords=Floor&ppinc=roan
you forgot the www. the www needs to be in the store url in the store manager and you need to construct your links with it as well. this is why you're having problems accessing your store. not because "shop" is in the cookie.
dan
oh by the way. very nice website. simple but elegant. the product pics and other images are very nice and composed very well.

thanks for the quick reply Dan, esp now being in the middle of night in N. Amer. (its 3pm tues here in TW). And really, thanks for the compliment. its a work in progress (as all websites are).

I think i know what you mean.. i've changed the $sc_store_url (in agora_user_lib.pl) = "http://www.roan-tw.com/cgi-bin/shop/agora.cgi" and where links have full path (not just <a href="agora.cgi?ppinc=...">) they now go to www.roan-tw.com... but the local cookie still gets named (user)@shop.txt, not (user)@www.roan-tw.txt

Actually, i tried to mention in the first msg that the store isn't effected by the name of the user's cookie, and this is really not a major problem, but we are looking to find a way to make the cookie name match the website domain, as does cookies for www.agoraguide.com

www.agoraguide.com is not run through AgoraCart so it will not have the same cookie "type" or written the same way.
When I have visited your store and checked the cookie placed on my browser, I get the following in FireFox:
Site Name: www.roan-tw.com
Cookie Name: cart_id

In IE:
Name: shop
Internet Address: Cookie:owner@www.roan-tw.com/cgi-bin/shop

In Opera:
There is a folder named: www.roan-tw.com
When it is opened it says: cgi-bin/shop cart_id:(cart id was here)

These are all basically the same for all AgoraCart stores.
Each browser will write the display for the cookie as it wants to.

I'm not sure why you would really want to change it.
What would be the reasoning?

HTH!

Get a Gold Membership
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger ICQ Number
hi bonnie thanks. we've only been checking IE, Netscape and Firefox, and it just seems quite strange that the cookie name is shop (in IE) when so many other sites are able to acurately list their domain names in file name. Simply, thats it. Not a big deal. If I put the whole store in cgi-bin, the cookie gets names cgi-bin (in IE). Since its in cgi-bin/shop/, its names shop. I figured there is a way to get the IE cookie name to match the domain instead of the folder. Are there any agora sites that have been able to name their cookies as the domain name?

btw, whats HTH?

Not that I know of... The cookie is set up the way it needs to be.
The cookie just tracks the cart_id to maintain the state. If it's not a big deal then I would move on.

HTH=
H ope
T his (That)
H elps

HTH!

Get a Gold Membership
the cookie set by the store is store specific but based on your domain only. it is not intended to be a domain cookie where you can track stuff outside of the realm of the store. so generally you would have two cookies. one for your domain to track stuff in a more general sense and one for the store specific to store state functions.
agoracart is not a content management program so using the store for your domain needs is not advisable though it can be done.
is there a particular system of tracking information you need that requires agoracart to identify it's cookies by your domain name?
browser differences on the path to the store are browser specific and wont cause any difficulties except maybe if you attempt to garner data from someplace other than within the store.
what is it exactly you need to do that required you to explore the agora system of setting cookies?

yes indeed, one can tell the difference between sites that are not a work in progress and those that are.
dan

Thanks again Bonnie and Dan, I'm going to move on. There isn't any real functional purpose to my trying to get the cookie name to match the website name, only marketing/traces of recognition left on vistor's computers. Sorry to take ur time on this. I really did think it was a simple setting that I just couldn't locate or setup correctly. Anywho, if someone does find a way, i hope they post it.

Well, if you're looking for residual marketing traces to have your domain name on, the cookie does in one way or another still has the domain name in there, as you can see from what i posted for cookie results in the various browsers.

HTH!

Get a Gold Membership
Reply to topic Page 1 of 1