The Official Website of AgoraCart and Agora.cgi
AgoraCart.com Demos Download AgoraCart User Manuals & Wiki Gold Members Forum Go Gold Now! Gold Version Memberships

AgoraCart.com

About
Features
Download
Payment Gateways
Send a Donation
Founders Club
BLOG: News & Updates

Showcases & Demos

AgoraCart Demos
Shop Live Stores

Downloads & Add-ons

Gold Version Downloads
DBwizz Database Mgr.
AgoraCart.com Store

Help & Support

User Manuals
Gold Version Users Forum
Gold Version Chat
Tech Support
Certified Agora Pros
Certified Designers
Hire a Freelancer

Gold Version Members

Member Benefits
Join Today!
Gold Members Home
Gold Version Users Forum
Gold Version Chat Rooms
Gold Version Downloads

For Store Owners

Merchant Accounts
Cool Resources
Advertise Here
"Powered by" Logos
Web Hosting Search

Misc.

Contact Us
MEET's Talking Guide
The Ancient Greek Agora

AgoraCart Free User Forums

This is the official FAQ and Cool Tips guide For the AgoraCart shopping Cart software

Official Sponsors of the AgoraCart Project:

RegisterSearchFAQLog in
Reply to topic Page 1 of 1
Getting a 404 message when trying for manager.cgi
Post Getting a 404 message when trying for manager.cgi 
Hullo, big time noob here. Trying to help my friend set up a store.

Cpanel installed the Agora Cart for me. The store shows up just fine here, but I can't access the admin panel (manager.cgi) here.

I read this forum and tried the various solutions listed for this type of problem: deleting the htaccess file, resetting the permissions according to the troubleshooting guide, moving the store into the cgi-bin folder, etc. No luck. (BTW, I moved the store folder back to the main directory when that didn't help.)

I wrote to my host and had them look at it. They said they fixed the permissions (it looks like they just set them back to what it was after the cPanel install) and say it should work, but I still can't get in.

I just wrote my host again for help, but is there anything specific I should be asking them to do?

FTP into the server and look in the 'store' directory. See if there is a 'protected' directory in there. If there isn't, the cpanel install did not work.
You can try a web install by following the instructions at:
http://www.agoracart.com/help/installing.html#web

HTH!

Get a Gold Membership
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger ICQ Number

Yes, through cPanel's File Manager and through my FTP client I can see the protected directory. The shop appears to be installed correctly as I can access the store here.. The only problem is that trying to access the admin panel through manager.cgi throws up an error message.

My host support guy wrote back to say it's a cache problem with my browser, that he can see the admin login screen just fine. I cleared the cache on my browser but still can't see it. I fired up 2 different browsers, cleared the cache in both, and still no luck.

I tried to access it with my husband's computer and still get the 404 error page. If it is a cache problem, none of the methods I normally use to clear caches are working.

Try doing a web install...

Get a Gold Membership
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger ICQ Number
I'm not certain, but I believe it is a conflict between:

1. the .htaccess file in the root-level directory generated by WordPress, and

2. the .htaccess file in the "protected" directory generated by AgoraCart.

WordPress generates mod_rewrite lines in the root-level .htaccess file that create attractive permalinks for the WordPress site. When cPanel installs AgoraCart it immediately installs an .htaccess file which for some reason causes the WordPress .htaccess file to throw out a 404 error page if you try to access manager.cgi.

When an AgoraCart is installed "by hand" (a web install rather than a cPanel install), it doesn't seem to generate a .htaccess file automatically... the user does it after logging in. So at that moment all works fine after a web install: the user can access manager.cgi with no problems whatsoever.

But after logging in to the admin panel the user is prompted to password protect the directory. When the user clicks that link to generate a password protection with .htaccess and then tries to navigate to another page within the manager panel, it disappears and nothing but 404 error pages pop up. The user is effectively kicked out of the manager panel.

If we deleted the root-level .htaccess file we got access to manager.cgi, but it broke my WordPress permalinks.

If we deleted the root-level .htaccess file, the WordPress permalinks worked again but then we lost access to manager.cgi.

If we deleted the .htaccess file in my "protected" directory, we regained access to manager.cgi and kept the WordPress permalinks, but lost the "protected" password protection.

One webhost tech figured it out and got it working but I don't know how. I asked him what he did so I could pass it on here, but a different tech takes up the support ticket each time and the person who got my question thought it was a request for help, changed the .htaccess file and now EVERYTHING IS BROKEN AGAIN.

BLAST.

I can work with it by renaming the .htaccess file every time I want to login to the admin panel, but what a pain that is, and I'm not sure how this will affect actual use of the cart.

Sorry this is so long-winded, but I just wanted to tell you want is going on and to give A HUMONGOUS THANK YOU to the little birdy from this forum who tried to help me on the side.

Very Happy

Reply to topic Page 1 of 1