The Official Website of AgoraCart and Agora.cgi
AgoraCart.com Demos Download AgoraCart User Manuals & Wiki Gold Members Forum Go Gold Now! Gold Version Memberships

AgoraCart.com

About
Features
Download
Payment Gateways
Send a Donation
Founders Club
BLOG: News & Updates

Showcases & Demos

AgoraCart Demos
Shop Live Stores

Downloads & Add-ons

Gold Version Downloads
DBwizz Database Mgr.
AgoraCart.com Store

Help & Support

User Manuals
Gold Version Users Forum
Gold Version Chat
Tech Support
Certified Agora Pros
Certified Designers
Hire a Freelancer

Gold Version Members

Member Benefits
Join Today!
Gold Members Home
Gold Version Users Forum
Gold Version Chat Rooms
Gold Version Downloads

For Store Owners

Merchant Accounts
Cool Resources
Advertise Here
"Powered by" Logos
Web Hosting Search

Misc.

Contact Us
MEET's Talking Guide
The Ancient Greek Agora

AgoraCart Free User Forums

This is the official FAQ and Cool Tips guide For the AgoraCart shopping Cart software

Official Sponsors of the AgoraCart Project:

RegisterSearchFAQLog in
Reply to topic Page 1 of 1
Free vs pro versions - should I jump right into it?
Post Free vs pro versions - should I jump right into it? 
I just spent the last 2 days learning & setting up the 4.0K-4b Standard (free?) version and I have to say that it's really nice. I'm kind of a noob as far as coding and I've never played with SSL before, so it took me a while to make sure everything was right but I finally got things running.

Then I came back to this site and saw the pro version... Shocked

Here's the deal: I'm trying to set up a website for my sister's business, and she knows zilch about anything to do with computers so I'll be teaching her from scratch. The pro version looks like it does so much more and to me it seems easier to navigate, but I've fiddled with other websites and setups that had admin areas. So I was wondering how folks felt who were new to this whole type of experience and if they liked the pro version better.

I'm half expecting the whole online ordering thing to never get fully used by her, so that brings me to a few other questions: If I purchase the pro package, is it transferable from one site to another? I currently have one online store and will be opening another website for book-selling. I'm guessing the pro package is just for one site, so if I use it on 2 different sites do I have to purchase 2 licenses? If hers never gets used can I just close it down and use the same license on another site?

And with both the free and pro versions: is there a limit on the inventory? My sister's store is no big deal, maybe 20-50 items. But if I use Agora on my upcoming bookstore I'm looking at one time sale items (old books) with an inventory of probably 10,000+ books.

I just spent the last 2 days learning & setting up the 4.0K-4b Standard (free?) version and I have to say that it's really nice. I'm kind of a noob as far as coding and I've never played with SSL before, so it took me a while to make sure everything was right but I finally got things running.

there is a small learning curve enven for those unfamiliar with website development. if instructed properly 90% of the store stuff is step by step and narrow in focus. most of the other 10% is a one time setup thing that doesn't need revisiting.

Quote:
Then I came back to this site and saw the pro version...

i know what you mean. impressive aint it?

as for the rest of your post...
the pro version is licensed for single site use. you would have to aquire other licenses to use on multiple domains. however, if one domain is abandoned then the license can be transferred.

if your sister's needs arn't many and special features not included with 4.0k-4b are not necessary then there is no reason she ill need the proversion other than stuff like better coding, commented coding to help understand what does what, updated shipping and gateway mods and more. it's just a better version all the way around. updated for current perl and other influences concerning server/user issues.

for your books site you will definately want the inventory mod that is included with the pro5 release. there are other merchant fatures that allow you to push products and track dB seach terms and stuff like that. that will help you help your customers.

if one does not sign up for the pro version one can always donate to help perpetuate the rapid avdancements being made to agoracart. small donations are even more important than large but the importance of contribution cannot be overstated. agoracart is a great program. i for one would dislike kinda sorta maybe to see it go down the dumper due to lack of support.
d

Reply to topic Page 1 of 1