The Official Website of AgoraCart and Agora.cgi
AgoraCart.com Demos Download AgoraCart User Manuals & Wiki Gold Members Forum Go Gold Now! Gold Version Memberships

AgoraCart.com

About
Features
Download
Payment Gateways
Send a Donation
Founders Club
BLOG: News & Updates

Showcases & Demos

AgoraCart Demos
Shop Live Stores

Downloads & Add-ons

Gold Version Downloads
DBwizz Database Mgr.
AgoraCart.com Store

Help & Support

User Manuals
Gold Version Users Forum
Gold Version Chat
Tech Support
Certified Agora Pros
Certified Designers
Hire a Freelancer

Gold Version Members

Member Benefits
Join Today!
Gold Members Home
Gold Version Users Forum
Gold Version Chat Rooms
Gold Version Downloads

For Store Owners

Merchant Accounts
Cool Resources
Advertise Here
"Powered by" Logos
Web Hosting Search

Misc.

Contact Us
MEET's Talking Guide
The Ancient Greek Agora

AgoraCart Free User Forums

This is the official FAQ and Cool Tips guide For the AgoraCart shopping Cart software

Official Sponsors of the AgoraCart Project:

RegisterSearchFAQLog in
Reply to topic Page 1 of 1
Entering zip code only to see shipping quote
Post Entering zip code only to see shipping quote 
There are some shipping calculators out there that allow the shopper just to enter their zip code to get a quote on the shipping, and I'd like to do something similar in my store, though I'd be satisfied if it was a form like on the "Step One" page but containing only fields for the zip code and shipping method. I know that someone asked back in 2005 if something like that existed and the answer was no, but that was two years ago, so I thought that perhaps something might have been created since then. I'm waiting for my Pro Version membership to be processed, so I can't yet check to see if there's anything like that there.

I took a look at the code for the Step One page, and it looks like someone who knew what they were doing could take that page, cut out the unwanted stuff, and create a new page that would simply be for the calculation of shipping rather than part of the checkout process, but, alas, I'm not one of those people. Razz I could figured out some of what to cut, but some of the other code is beyond me.

Not to mention, the shipping APIs are now doing more address verification before returning a shipping quote to the cart.

Get a Gold Membership
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger ICQ Number
Well, having to fill out the entire address would be okay, if it's needed by the API. It's asking for the name and email address that I don't like. It would be much better if that was asked for after the shipping quote and the person decided to go ahead and make the purchase. In other words, there would be three steps rather than two. The first step would ask for the address info needed to make the shipping calculation, the second step would ask for the name and email addy, then the third would be the actual checkout through the gateway.

I came up with a workaround. The shipping calculator still works if a person enters only their zip code, so I've included a statement that if they only want a shipping quote, all they need to do is enter their zip code. Those "You forgot to fill in your..." error messages come up, but I also tell them to ignore that but that they'll have to fill in the rest of the info if they want to make a purchase.

By the way, generally how long does it take for a Pro membership to be processed? I purchased it on Saturday, Nov. 10, and the payment cleared through PayPal.

Which shipping carrier allowed for just the zip being entered?

Pro Memberships are manually added to the members database by Mister Ed only.
Right now, it looks like it may be taking up to 10 business days to get added.

Get a Gold Membership
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger ICQ Number
I have AgoraCart 5, and I'm using only USPS for a carrier. Since they only ask for zip codes on their own site to do a shipping calculation, that's apparently all they need, at least at this time.

UPS requires the city and zip. USPS used to require city and zip, too...

Get a Gold Membership
Nope, just zip for USPS now. They must have changed their system.

By the way, my Pro membership came through today, so it was a lot faster than 10 days. Smile Does this mean that I should post all my questions on that forum from now on or should I continue using this one?

I forgot to mention that, in working on all this, I noticed something. When I get those "You forgot to fill in..." messages, for the first and last name, it says "You forgot to fill in .", It's missing "first name" and "last name". Where would I fix this?

Can't answer that here... Post in appropriate topic area for the gateway you are using as that is a gateway issue.
Please keep your posts limited to the subject that is assosiated with the topic area.
IE: Shipping Questions need to be asked in the Shipping topic areas
Questions about checkout, ask in the appropriate payment gateway area for the payment gateway you are using
Questions about product display, in the Product Page Layouts (.inc files) topic area
etc...
This will help those who come after you looking for help with their cart.

Get a Gold Membership

By the way, my Pro membership came through today, so it was a lot faster than 10 days. Smile Does this mean that I should post all my questions on that forum from now on or should I continue using this one?

You can use this forum, however, if you have questions that pertain to the Pro Member version or pro member features, they MUST be asked in the Pro Forum.

HTH!

Get a Gold Membership
Reply to topic Page 1 of 1