The Official Website of AgoraCart and Agora.cgi
AgoraCart.com Demos Download AgoraCart User Manuals & Wiki Gold Members Forum Go Gold Now! Gold Version Memberships

AgoraCart.com

About
Features
Download
Payment Gateways
Send a Donation
Founders Club
BLOG: News & Updates

Showcases & Demos

AgoraCart Demos
Shop Live Stores

Downloads & Add-ons

Gold Version Downloads
DBwizz Database Mgr.
AgoraCart.com Store

Help & Support

User Manuals
Gold Version Users Forum
Gold Version Chat
Tech Support
Certified Agora Pros
Certified Designers
Hire a Freelancer

Gold Version Members

Member Benefits
Join Today!
Gold Members Home
Gold Version Users Forum
Gold Version Chat Rooms
Gold Version Downloads

For Store Owners

Merchant Accounts
Cool Resources
Advertise Here
"Powered by" Logos
Web Hosting Search

Misc.

Contact Us
MEET's Talking Guide
The Ancient Greek Agora

AgoraCart Free User Forums

This is the official FAQ and Cool Tips guide For the AgoraCart shopping Cart software

Official Sponsors of the AgoraCart Project:

RegisterSearchFAQLog in
Reply to topic Page 1 of 1
Permission denied error going to Step Two
Post Permission denied error going to Step Two 
Several days ago, my host moved my site to a new server. I discovered today that, in the process, the permissions on every single file and directory got changed to 750. Needless to say, I am not a happy camper. Fortunately, the files still exist on the old server, so I was able to go through, compare the two, and change all the file permissions on the new server back to what they used to be. The problem is that it didn't fix the issue that led to me discovering this in the first place.

When I attempt to go to Step Two in the checkout process, I get the following error:

Error Occured: Can't bind:Permission denied

Now, though I painstakingly went through every directory and changed permissions back to their former settings, it's possible that I missed something, but I don't know what.

Do you have some idea on what's causing this? Everything worked fine before the site was moved.

I have AgoraCart 5 (still the free version till I have time to upgrade)

http://www.thayersgraphic.com/reflections/store/agora.cgi?

I just discovered something new that might change where this thread should have been put. If I do not select a shipping method, I don't get the error, and it goes on to Step Two. I get the error regardless of what shipping method I select, whether it's UPS or USPS.

This brings up another rather alarming problem. I'm not sure if it would be considered a gateway issue, a shopping cart issue, or a shipping issue. I'll go ahead and post it here. If you want me to start a new thread or put in in another forum, let me know.

If I do not select a shipping method, the gateway still goes on to Step Two, allowing the person to check out. The problem is that this means that no shipping cost is added to the total, meaning that they'll get free shipping. Shouldn't an error message come up if they don't select a shipping method?

What do you the following set at:
"How do you wish to connect to UPS (non-XML) / USPS XML?"
Try toggling the setting and see what happens.

Also, this was working before the host moved you, right? Then, you will still need to hound them about what is different about the server's setup. Keep hounding them, escalate the issue...

If worse comes to worse, you may need to consider a new web host, especially if they won't work with you.

Get a Gold Membership
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger ICQ Number
The host is iPower.com, and, yes, it was working before the move. They did say that if someone had trouble after the move, they'd do all they could to resolve it. I guess we're going to find out. Interestingly, though iPower did offer AgoraCart as one of their eCommerce solutions, I noticed that they don't anymore.

I have it set at http-lib. I just tried LWP, but, though it does go through to Step Two with that setting, the shipping isn't calculated.

Are there any specific Perl modules that need to be present for this cart to work? I did notice a lot of LWP modules in the list of those that are installed. It's Perl 5.8.8, by the way.

Keep on iPower... they are notorious for blaming others for the problems on their servers...
They kept blaming other things for 22 days when I gave them a try... When I switched to another
web host, I had my site up and running in less than a day with everything working the way it should...

The server requirements for AgoraCart v5:
* Unix, FreeBSD, OpenBSD or a Linux based hosting account (or server).
* Perl 5.6.x or higher. (most servers will satisfy this requirement)
* This Perl Module must be installed on your server for Version 5.0.x: LWP::Simple (most servers will have this installed)
* This Perl Module must be installed for Pro Version of the cart (Version 5.1.x): LWP::UserAgent (most servers will have this installed)
* FTP or online file manager access with the ability to set permissions on files.
* Run cgi scripts under your own user ID (most servers offer this now) AND/OR the ability to install the wrappers (yourself by SSH2 or by your server admin at your request).

HTH!

Get a Gold Membership
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger ICQ Number
Here's an update on this problem, which is still not fixed. I learned that my host moved my site to an entirely new OS, going from a FreeBSD to a Debian Linux platform. They never bothered to mention that fact in all their info about the transition. In the move, the permissions on every single file and folder got changed to 750. I had to go through and change them all back to what they were supposed to be. That didn't fix the problem. Just to see what would happen, I did a fresh install of a second cart to see if it would work. The same problem exists, which means that this is not a case of something getting screwed up in the move. There is something about the way they have things set up now that interferes with the shipping API.

I've had four conversations with them, and they keep saying that my case has been given top priority and people are working on it, but, apparently, they haven't figured out how to fix it. They have not tried to claim that the problem is with someone else. They know that the problem is on their end. Yesterday, I gave them through Thursday to have one of the four techs they say is working on my problem to call me and give me an update or I'd be demanding a refund and switching to another host. I don't hold out much hope that I'll be getting a call.

The problem is that I don't know what host to switch to and not have the same (or another) problem. I know that this isn't what you're here for, but do you have any suggestions? Right now, I'm looking mainly at HostMonster and IX Web Hosting. HostMonster includes AgoraCart in their eCommerce features, so I know it will work with them. I like IX Web Hosting because I can get two free domain name registrations for only $6.95 per mo as opposed to one domain name for $4.95 with HostMonster. However, there's the question of whether or not I'll have the same or some other problem with IX Web Hosting. They use CentOS 5 on their Linux hosting. Both of these hosts rate high on several of the Hosting company review sites I've visited. HostMonster is at the top of two of them, IX Web Hosting at the top of one.

Any advice you or someone else might have would be greatly appreciated.

http://resources.scottcrew.com/host.htm

HTH!

Get a Gold Membership
Post Now, not showing shipping charge separately 
Well, apparently, some time after my last call, iPower fixed the problem, but didn't bother contacting me to let me know. I found out this morning when I called them to tell them I was switching to another host. I have no idea what they did to fix the issue since it appears that only my real store works. The test store I installed still has the same problem. I'm not happy with how they dealt with this issue, so I still intent to move to another host soon, if I can get a prorated refund from iPower. I prepaid for two years.

Unfortunately, there's still a problem. Now, for some reason, though it goes through to Step Two and does have the S&H charge in the grand total, it's not showing the S&H charge separately. It just shows the Item Cost Subtotal line and the Grand Total line, not the Shipping amount line, like it used to.

Any idea why that's happening? I can't think of any changes I made to files that would result in this, but I could be wrong. I'm using AgoraCart 5.0.

The shipping, taxes, etc. labels......
Thats a setting in the "Store Design-Misc Settings" manager that deals with the Order Table labels...

HTH!

Get a Gold Membership
Yes, I know. I have "Shipping:" as the shipping label, but it's not showing up on totals the page.

There are 2 questions in that same area that you need to answer "YES" to....

Get a Gold Membership
Okay, now that is just plain weird. I did have that first question set to yes. I'm certain of it, and I didn't change it to no. Yet, I just looked, and it somehow got set to no [insert Twilight Zone music].

Thanks for pointing out the obvious. Embarassed

Well, I see what the problem is. "Display Shipping Label/Costs at View Cart and Checkout?" keeps resetting to "No" after I hit the Submit button, so I have to remember to change it to "Yes" every time I change the settings on that page.

strange.... try just refreshing the page after you hit the submit button...

Get a Gold Membership
I did a refresh. It still shows it set at no. I changed it to yes again, hit submit, back it goes to no. The shipping charge is coming up on the totals page now, so it is actually set properly. It's just that the form on that page keeps resetting the answer to that one question to no.

Get a Gold Membership
Reply to topic Page 1 of 1