The Official Website of AgoraCart and Agora.cgi
AgoraCart.com Demos Download AgoraCart User Manuals & Wiki Gold Members Forum Go Gold Now! Gold Version Memberships

AgoraCart.com

About
Features
Download
Payment Gateways
Send a Donation
Founders Club
BLOG: News & Updates

Showcases & Demos

AgoraCart Demos
Shop Live Stores

Downloads & Add-ons

Gold Version Downloads
DBwizz Database Mgr.
AgoraCart.com Store

Help & Support

User Manuals
Gold Version Users Forum
Gold Version Chat
Tech Support
Certified Agora Pros
Certified Designers
Hire a Freelancer

Gold Version Members

Member Benefits
Join Today!
Gold Members Home
Gold Version Users Forum
Gold Version Chat Rooms
Gold Version Downloads

For Store Owners

Merchant Accounts
Cool Resources
Advertise Here
"Powered by" Logos
Web Hosting Search

Misc.

Contact Us
MEET's Talking Guide
The Ancient Greek Agora

AgoraCart Free User Forums

This is the official FAQ and Cool Tips guide For the AgoraCart shopping Cart software

Official Sponsors of the AgoraCart Project:

RegisterSearchFAQLog in
Reply to topic Page 1 of 1
Custom shipping costs by weight NOT using USPS or UPS
Post Custom shipping costs by weight NOT using USPS or UPS 
I haven't seen this in any of the other shipping logic posts or the documentation, so here goes. I want to set up a completely custom shipping logic based on cumulative product weight, with weight ranges set by me, but NOT referring anything to the UPS or USPS shipping charges. (Over half of my sales go USPS first-class-parcel.) If that's not possible, I want to set up total-product-cost based shipping, again with ranges. It looks like there is a sample of this in the shipping.txt file, but I can't see where or how to put that so AgoraCart would know to use it.

I also get the feeling AgoraCart is really designed for the fairly-computer-knowledgable folks who like playing with code, rather than less-knowledgable people. I didn't think of myself as computer illiterate: I've maintained my own web page www.SteigerFamily.com for years (mostly using Netscape Composer), and set up HTML pages with add-to-cart buttons using PayPal's own usable (but limited) shopping cart feature. I was able to recognize the state/country options in the Paypal order form and remove those outside the U.S. since I don't ship internationally. I even renamed a couple of the user fields. But most of the instructions I've found don't actually tell me what to do -- I do better with examples where I can copy-and-paste and change the elements of the additional lines than "REPLACE ENTIRE SHIPPING SELECT ELEMENT" or "you will need to define the logic array and call the subroutine in the custom shipping logic." After two full days of working with AgoraCart, I have 10 products listed that I'm not satisfied with and I'm not even close to ready to actually use the shopping cart. I can't afford a pro, my net profit from my 2007 schedule C was $98. I don't mind the learning curve and doing the work myself, I just can't figure out how. (I'll be posting questions on other topics in the appropriate fora.) And I couldn't find anything close to how I want to arrange shipping, hence my question here. Has anyone written an "Agoracart for Dummies?" The categories and search function look like they will be big plusses if I can get the system up and running.

Let's see if I can supply all the proper information. I just downloaded and installed the most recent Agoracart version 5.2. My web page is http://www.SteigerFamily.com and the Agoracart home page is at http://www.steigerfamily.com/agoracart/store52/agora.cgi and for comparison, my current store pages are accessible from http://www.SteigerFamily.com as well. I've found the Paypal order form (my only gateway) and read the /protected/DOCS documentation (thanks for the pinned reference to that, Bonnie). SBW is ON. I am using only generated product pages. I want to offer 4 shipping methods: local delivery, standard, 2-day, and overnight, and I was able to set those up in the shipping setup section but I'm not sure what to do with the code it generated, especially since I want to customize the amounts. I do not want to set different shipping costs for different zones or states. I'm sure I forgot some essential piece of information but at least I get a gold star for trying, right? <g>

The custom shipping logic does handle that and is the most common use of the custom shipping logic...
Please take a moment to read through the shipping documentation that is in the
'protected/DOCS' directory of the store.

HTH!

Get a Gold Membership
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger ICQ Number
[quote]Please take a moment to read through the shipping documentation that is in the
'protected/DOCS' directory of the store. [/quote]

As I said in my original message, I did that already. Shipping.txt includes examples of shipping as a percentage of the order total, percentage based on quantities, and flat rates based on quantity or cost. I saw nothing in that file relating shipping costs to weight and no other files related to shipping except for UPS (which I don't use).

Gotcha... I thought there was a weight example in there....
Well, the weight field is the field just before the cost field and that is where you can set up your ranges.

I just set up a sticky on this at:
http://www.agoraguide.com/faq/viewtopic.php?p=23079#23079

HTH!

Get a Gold Membership
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger ICQ Number
What a great sticky, thanks! I bet I'm not the only person who will benefit from that.

So if I'm starting to understand, I need to replace in the Paypal order file, the section below

PASTE SHIPPING METHODS FROM SHIPPING MANAGER BELOW

and above

PASTE SHIPPING METHODS FROM SHIPPING MANAGER ABOVE THIS

with this from Shipping Manager:
Code:

<SELECT NAME=Ecom_ShipTo_Method>
<OPTION value="$vform_Ecom_ShipTo_Method"><!--agorascript-pre
 if ("$vform_Ecom_ShipTo_Method" eq "") {
   return " Select Shipping Method ";
  } else {
   return "$vform_Ecom_ShipTo_Method";
  }
--></OPTION>
<OPTION VALUE="Standard Delivery">
      Standard Delivery</option>
<OPTION VALUE="Cheyenne Delivery">
      Cheyenne Delivery</option>
</SELECT>

and then this (simplified, obviously I'm going to have more weight ranges) so the cart knows how to figure standard delivery:
Code:

@sc_shipping_logic = (
"Standard Delivery|||-0.5|2.00",
"||0.51-0.8|3.00",
"||0.81-|4.00");

And I can leave off "Cheyenne Delivery" options because that is free? And when I've got Standard Delivery all figured out, I can add "Overnight Delivery" by adding it as an "option value" to the first section and adding another "sc_shipping_logic" section after the existing section with "Overnight Delivery" where Standard Delivery is above and changing the weight ranges and amounts to suit me? (I'm assuming that the "Standard Delivery" in the first part of second code section tells Agoracart that this section gives shipping amounts by weight for this delivery method, so I need to be sure to put a different delivery method in a different code phrase.) Or am I all wrong so I need to go back to square 1?

<hope I made sense>

Custom shipping logic needs to handle all methods of delivery and would look more like:
Code:

@sc_shipping_logic = (
"Cheyenne Delivery||||0.00",
"Standard Delivery|||-0.5|2.00",
"Standard Delivery|||0.51-0.8|3.00",
"Standard Delivery|||0.81-|4.00",
"Overnight Delivery|||-0.5|12.00",
"Overnight Delivery|||0.51-0.8|13.00",
"Overnight Delivery|||0.81-|14.00");

HTH!

Get a Gold Membership
Gotcha -- just one shipping logic that needs to include all the options. But it does go on the orderform page in the "shipping" section after the replacement code generated by the Shipping Settings manager page?

No, it goes in the Custom Shipping Logic box in the Shipping Settings Manager.

HTH!

Get a Gold Membership
Ah, that does look like the examples you stickied. (is that a verb?) Light bulb is slowly going on ...

Do I need this bit of code after the shipping logic I replaced? What does it do?

#
$shipping_price = &calculate_shipping($temp_total,
$total_quantity, $total_measured_quantity);

Yeah, you need that bit of code that's what does the actual calculations with the cart....

HTH!

Get a Gold Membership
Cool, just didn't want to leave something that would mess up all my work. Thanks so much for your help!

Reply to topic Page 1 of 1