The Official Website of AgoraCart and Agora.cgi
AgoraCart.com Demos Download AgoraCart User Manuals & Wiki Gold Members Forum Go Gold Now! Gold Version Memberships

AgoraCart.com

About
Features
Download
Payment Gateways
Send a Donation
Founders Club
BLOG: News & Updates

Showcases & Demos

AgoraCart Demos
Shop Live Stores

Downloads & Add-ons

Gold Version Downloads
DBwizz Database Mgr.
AgoraCart.com Store

Help & Support

User Manuals
Gold Version Users Forum
Gold Version Chat
Tech Support
Certified Agora Pros
Certified Designers
Hire a Freelancer

Gold Version Members

Member Benefits
Join Today!
Gold Members Home
Gold Version Users Forum
Gold Version Chat Rooms
Gold Version Downloads

For Store Owners

Merchant Accounts
Cool Resources
Advertise Here
"Powered by" Logos
Web Hosting Search

Misc.

Contact Us
MEET's Talking Guide
The Ancient Greek Agora

AgoraCart Free User Forums

This is the official FAQ and Cool Tips guide For the AgoraCart shopping Cart software

Official Sponsors of the AgoraCart Project:

RegisterSearchFAQLog in
Reply to topic Page 1 of 1
Just use the highest shipping price in the order?
Post Just use the highest shipping price in the order? 
Hello,

Each product in my database has a shipping price entered. Small items are $6.50 shipping but some larger items are $13.00 shipping.

I want to make the total shipping cost equal the "highest" of the individual shipping prices in the order, regardless of quantities.
  • If someone has an order with multiple small items, the total shipping for the order should be $6.50.
  • If someone has an order with a small item and a large item, the total shipping should be $13.00.

...and I'm just not sure what custom shipping logic code to use for this. Maybe I'm missing something obvious... Any help greatly appreciated!

Sounds like a strange way of calculating your shipping...
What happens if they order 12 of a large item????
You need to think through your shipping in the event of large amounts of small items or large items being sold... You might think it won't ever happen, but trust me, it may very well do that one day.

Get a Gold Membership
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger ICQ Number
Basically it's a sports store - small items that can go in the standard post will be $3.00 shipping. Standard courier up to shoebox size is $6.50. Larger items e.g. cricket pads would be $13.00.

The way I figure it, there is no good way of estimating how much their shipping will be when they order multiple items e.g. if someone orders a can of four tennis balls, it will cost them $6.50 - if they order four cans of tennis balls, it will still only cost them $6.50. On the other hand, if they order one pair of shoes it will be $6.50 - if they order two pairs, it will be $13.00... there are so many possible combinations.

... so my thinking is just bite the bullet and calculate for the most common case (they are buying one or two items). Then, if their order does happen to be one of the larger ones, they get an email that explains the extra shipping they must pay (all our orders are by internet banking or cheque in the post). I guess it would help if I could detect multiple items in the order, and display a bold message "Note: Because your order has multiple items, there is a possibility that extra shipping may be required to cover the courier cost. We will notify you if this is the case".

Actually this may be a slightly better idea...

Because weight isn't really an issue with most things we sell, I was thinking I could just use the SBW system to kind of "hack" it - Basically give them a weight that translates to the "volume" of the item.

e.g. Use a weight of "10" to represent the volume of a shoe box. Then:
  • A can of tennis balls takes up approximately 1/5 of the volume of a shoebox, so give it a weight of 2.
  • A pair of shoes... is a shoebox, so give it a weight of 10.
  • A pocket knife maybe 1/50 of the volume of a shoebox, so give it a weight of 0.2.

Then, in the shipping logic, something like:
  • if total weight < 0.5 then shipping cost = $3.00
  • if total weight 0.6-10 then shipping cost = $6.50
  • if total weight > 10 then shipping cost = $13.00

What do you think?

That would probably be a better scenario...

Get a Gold Membership
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger ICQ Number
Thanks for the replies. I'll try the second option Smile

Reply to topic Page 1 of 1