The Official Website of AgoraCart and Agora.cgi
AgoraCart.com Demos Download AgoraCart User Manuals & Wiki Gold Members Forum Go Gold Now! Gold Version Memberships

AgoraCart.com

About
Features
Download
Payment Gateways
Send a Donation
Founders Club
BLOG: News & Updates

Showcases & Demos

AgoraCart Demos
Shop Live Stores

Downloads & Add-ons

Gold Version Downloads
DBwizz Database Mgr.
AgoraCart.com Store

Help & Support

User Manuals
Gold Version Users Forum
Gold Version Chat
Tech Support
Certified Agora Pros
Certified Designers
Hire a Freelancer

Gold Version Members

Member Benefits
Join Today!
Gold Members Home
Gold Version Users Forum
Gold Version Chat Rooms
Gold Version Downloads

For Store Owners

Merchant Accounts
Cool Resources
Advertise Here
"Powered by" Logos
Web Hosting Search

Misc.

Contact Us
MEET's Talking Guide
The Ancient Greek Agora

AgoraCart Free User Forums

This is the official FAQ and Cool Tips guide For the AgoraCart shopping Cart software

Official Sponsors of the AgoraCart Project:

RegisterSearchFAQLog in
Reply to topic Page 1 of 1
database programs?? Need Help
Post database programs?? Need Help 
Im in the process of setting up agora on my server, and would like suggestions on a database system that works well with the program. Currently all my inventory is entered into excell. is their something better to be done. Right now I have to enter everything in excell, copy it and then paste it into my web editing program, and then reformat it it to look right. Ive yet to find a good way to display picture with the products doing it this way. Im hoping agora will make the whole process of updating and editing my online cat easier. if you could give some ideas of database programs that work well it would be appreciated.

Post RE: database programs?? Need Help 
hell-o
if you're familiar or fluent in excel then there is no reason you can't use it.
the default format of the flat file dB (data.file) is pipe delimited. it is plain text. so when you save you must save as plain text to avoid corrupting the dB with any propritary code.
the safest method to handle the dB is ...

make a backup on your server of the last working version. you may want to save chronological backups saved with the date in the file name.

upload and download in ftp. because it's a plain text file this must be done in ascii. do not rely on cpanel or any other file transfer program you cannot control the mode with.

be sure that excel does not add anything to the file you do not specifically tell it to, on open, edit or save.

it may be best to rename the file to data.file.pipe for importing and exporting. this may help reduce the chances of excel being too smart for it's own good. Smile

there are other 3rd party editors that work well with agora but if you're ok with excel then there is no reason you can't use it. just becareful on the save formatiing. to double check just open the saved data in notepad and check for any corruption.
regards,
dan

Post more about excell please 
I read the post regarding import export thru excell. I have 3,000 products saved to an excell spreadsheet. Is there a post on here I didnt see or can you tell me how it works. Do I have to title each category %%product_id%% ect, and where do I upload to. I am sorry to be such a novice but I need help so I dont have to manually upload each product. Any Advice??? Thank you in advance.

It has to be saved as a .csv file and then imported through the database manager.

Get a Gold Membership
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger ICQ Number
download your store/data_files/data.file in ascii then open it in a plain text editor. you'll see how the basic product data resides in the dB. that should help you understand how the data should be entered in excel.
d

Reply to topic Page 1 of 1