The Official Website of AgoraCart and Agora.cgi
AgoraCart.com Demos Download AgoraCart User Manuals & Wiki Gold Members Forum Go Gold Now! Gold Version Memberships

AgoraCart.com

About
Features
Download
Payment Gateways
Send a Donation
Founders Club
BLOG: News & Updates

Showcases & Demos

AgoraCart Demos
Shop Live Stores

Downloads & Add-ons

Gold Version Downloads
DBwizz Database Mgr.
AgoraCart.com Store

Help & Support

User Manuals
Gold Version Users Forum
Gold Version Chat
Tech Support
Certified Agora Pros
Certified Designers
Hire a Freelancer

Gold Version Members

Member Benefits
Join Today!
Gold Members Home
Gold Version Users Forum
Gold Version Chat Rooms
Gold Version Downloads

For Store Owners

Merchant Accounts
Cool Resources
Advertise Here
"Powered by" Logos
Web Hosting Search

Misc.

Contact Us
MEET's Talking Guide
The Ancient Greek Agora

AgoraCart Free User Forums

This is the official FAQ and Cool Tips guide For the AgoraCart shopping Cart software

Official Sponsors of the AgoraCart Project:

RegisterSearchFAQLog in
Reply to topic Page 1 of 1
Installation Failed. 500 Error
Post Installation Failed. 500 Error 
I've spent all day trying to figure out how to get the shopping cart installed. Called my host, Earthlink. They said they don't support third party programs! I used WS-FTP to send all files up (Binary and ASCII) (2 or 3 times) and changed the permissions in the control panel. NOTHING but error pages or 'Page Not Found' when I try to access the installtgz.cgi file. When I click on the .cgi file from the control panel, I get the 500 Error message. I'm about to give up. I've wasted so much time I want to cry. PLEEEZ, can someone give me some hints on what to do?

Please do not post the same question to the forums or groups at the same time... Choose one place to post and then wait about a day for a response. If there isn't a response, then post a 2nd time or to the other group/forum.
I responded to this in the agora2 Yahoo group as follows:
Quote:

When you say binary and ASCII, did you upload both in one or the other? Or did you upload the installtgz.cgi in ASCII and the agoracgi.tgz in binary?
If worse comes to worse, unzip the agoracgi.tgz file to your local computer (this can also serve as your backup for editing files later). Then upload all of the files EXCEPT the graphics files in ASCII. Upload the graphics in BINARY.
Then go through and check the permissions against permissions specified here:
http://www.agoracart.com/help/wherestuff.html

HTH!~

Get a Gold Membership
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger ICQ Number
Post RE: Installation Failed. 500 Error 
hell-o
you didn't say to which directory you uploaded the files to. earthlink may not have enabled scripts to run outside of the cgi-bin. move the files to the cgi-bin then access the install file through your browser from there.
does earthlink offer shared ssl? if not then you shouldn't use the offline gateway. you will have to employ a merchant service gateway.

regards,
dan

Sorry about the double post. I didn't realize the two forums were actually the same. I sent the installtgz.cgi file in ASCII and the agoracgi.tgz file in Binary. Not only once, but three times, refreshing each time. Once I deleted the whole section and re-sent it. Each time I also changed the permissions to 755. I'll try sending the images separately as you suggested. Thank you.

PS. I uploaded the files to the cgi-bin folder. Actually, it's just cgi (no bin). Although I see the files in the WS-FTP program window, the URL does not show in the IE Browser. [http://www.atlantavintagejewelry.com/cgi/installtgz.cgi][/url] This is all new to me, so I appreciate your patience.

Post RE: Installation Failed. 500 Error 
hell-o
it's likely they wont support any program such as agoracart. some hosting doesn't want scripts running as it can be a security risk. the fact they don't support 3rd party scripts and wont elaborate or are willing to help out tells me that if you need an e-commerce website then they are not a good choice for hosting. they maybe exceptional in other areas but you need the support and function of an e-commerce host.
i suggest you contact them to find out if they offer a pro-rated refund and find another service.
check out my services and other services promoted by agoracart.com at
http://www.agoracart.com
regards,
dan

Also, if you are finding that you are needing other hosting.... I have compiled a list of hosts that will work with AgoraCart at a very reasonable cost.
http://resources.scottcew.com

HTH!

Get a Gold Membership
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger ICQ Number
Sorry to be a pest. I just got off the phone with Earthlink Tech Support. It seems everything's okay at their end and they say their servers support the perl script but they just don't give techical support for the 3rd party programs. The error message when I type into the browser to do the install reads as following:

The tar extraction result was:

tar: z: unknown option
Usage: tar {txruc}[vfbFXhiBDEelmopwnq[0-7]] [-k size] [tapefile] [blocksize] [exclude-file] [-I include-file] files ...

Earthlink tells me the installtgz.cgi is supposed to extract files (?) into the 'store' folder (right?). But in the meantime, I also FTP'd all the files manually into the 'store' folder. Still doesn't work. Can anyone give me more suggestions, or should I just call it quits?

Post RE: earthlink 
hell-o
well, i really don't expect them to know much about agora. keeping track of all the programs out there would be impossible.
if they say that the program will run on their server then lets see what can be done. seems to me there was at least one member using earthlink. please email me here:
hgltd@yahoo.com
and i'll see what tricks i can do. i suppose the first step would be to find out whether you have ownership of your files and folders. email me and we'll figure it out.

btw, cgi-bin is generally just the name of a folder. it's not uncommon for some virtual host setups to name it simply cgi.
regards,
dan

Did you make sure to go back through each of the files and check the permissions against the permissions specified at:
http://www.agoracart.com/help/wherestuff.html

HTH!~

Get a Gold Membership
Reply to topic Page 1 of 1