The Official Website of AgoraCart and Agora.cgi
AgoraCart.com Demos Download AgoraCart User Manuals & Wiki Gold Members Forum Go Gold Now! Gold Version Memberships

AgoraCart.com

About
Features
Download
Payment Gateways
Send a Donation
Founders Club
BLOG: News & Updates

Showcases & Demos

AgoraCart Demos
Shop Live Stores

Downloads & Add-ons

Gold Version Downloads
DBwizz Database Mgr.
AgoraCart.com Store

Help & Support

User Manuals
Gold Version Users Forum
Gold Version Chat
Tech Support
Certified Agora Pros
Certified Designers
Hire a Freelancer

Gold Version Members

Member Benefits
Join Today!
Gold Members Home
Gold Version Users Forum
Gold Version Chat Rooms
Gold Version Downloads

For Store Owners

Merchant Accounts
Cool Resources
Advertise Here
"Powered by" Logos
Web Hosting Search

Misc.

Contact Us
MEET's Talking Guide
The Ancient Greek Agora

AgoraCart Free User Forums

This is the official FAQ and Cool Tips guide For the AgoraCart shopping Cart software

Official Sponsors of the AgoraCart Project:

RegisterSearchFAQLog in
Reply to topic Page 1 of 1
Shipping info and help
Post Shipping info and help 
First let me say this is one of the best free cart scripts I've seen and have implemented.

My first question is regarding UPS Shipping. I ONLY ship UPS. I have the SBW on, custom logic off. I've downloaded the UPS zone and rate charts (basing on my zip code) and I've seen that the shipping Agora tells me is different from what is listed on the UPS charts for any weight. The differences do not seem linear and can range from <$1 to over $5. I've read here that the UPS module is 'real time'. I'm wondering if that is only for the pay version of Agora? In my shipping module (just a hair confusing) I see a link and username/password to USPS (which I'm not using), but no link for UPS (or Fedex which I'm also not using for that matter). Should there be a connection setting to retrieve real time UPS prices? Possibly I didn't install something correctly? Is there a manual update I need to do since I'm using the free version of Agora? I've looked a few of the free shipping add-ons/hacks and modified a logic script for weight to adjust the discrepencies I'm seeing between Agora and the UPS rates I've downloaded (they are effective as of Jan 2005 BTW). I'm just wondering if I need to do this or if there is something wrong somewhere.

2nd Question. If I'm going to need to keep my custom logic to correct the problems mentioned above, is it possible to have a logic that will correspond to weight AND final order price? The reason I'm thinking of this is for UPS insurance (additional charge of a package over $100 in value). I'm not sure (if and when working correctly) that Agora would take into account additional package insurance. Thus I would need to keep my custom logic to adjust the shipping fees AND add $1 for packages $100-$200, $2 for $201 to $300, etc. Is this possible?

I realize there is a handleing fee (which currently I have disabled to see the actual Agora Shipping fee info). I do plan to charge a small handleing fee for every order. I just didn't want to use this to 'adjust' actual shipping fees to correct something that maybe wrong.

Maybe I'm being anal about such picky shipping rates, but naturally I don't want to loose money on shipping. I myself also dislike kinda sorta maybe sites that charge a sky high shipping fee. I would like to get it as close as possible and do the site right!

Thanks for any help or light anyone could shed on these issues. Once again, great script.

Did you set up your origination zip code in the shipping manager and select how you packages are handled?
You will see at the bottom of the shipping settings:
Quote:

Origination of shipments:
FedEx ZIP:
UPS ZIP: UPS Pickup:
USPS ZIP:

Yopu need to input your zip code and select one of the following for UPS:
Regular Daily Pickup
On Call Air
One Time Pickup
Letter Center
Customer Counter

It does calcluate accurately if things are set up properly.

HTH!

Get a Gold Membership
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger ICQ Number
I have the shipping zip codes right and how packages are handled. I did however find my mistake. When I downloaded the rates from UPS, I got the 'on time pickup' rates instead of the 'daily pickup' rates. My Bad! Their website is a little confusing though. The rates are not listed as one time pickup and daily pickup, instead they ask you if there is a monthly service fee on your bill!?? and you are then redirected.

Anyhow, my fault, sorry about that.

Since the figures are correct now (Not a perfect match, but very close to a few to 10 cents).

Just trying not to do things half-a**ed and setup a good store. Thanks for the help!!!

Well, what the cart is calculating are UPS published rates. It doesn't take into account any kind of discounts your company may receive directly from UPS.

HTH!

Get a Gold Membership
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger ICQ Number
Another thing to keep in mind is if the prices from the UPS API are higher than what the charts are showing is that UPS makes fuel cost adjustment to their rates. With fuel prices escalating there may be variances for awhile until prices stabilize.

Reply to topic Page 1 of 1