The Official Website of AgoraCart and Agora.cgi
AgoraCart.com Demos Download AgoraCart User Manuals & Wiki Gold Members Forum Go Gold Now! Gold Version Memberships

AgoraCart.com

About
Features
Download
Payment Gateways
Send a Donation
Founders Club
BLOG: News & Updates

Showcases & Demos

AgoraCart Demos
Shop Live Stores

Downloads & Add-ons

Gold Version Downloads
DBwizz Database Mgr.
AgoraCart.com Store

Help & Support

User Manuals
Gold Version Users Forum
Gold Version Chat
Tech Support
Certified Agora Pros
Certified Designers
Hire a Freelancer

Gold Version Members

Member Benefits
Join Today!
Gold Members Home
Gold Version Users Forum
Gold Version Chat Rooms
Gold Version Downloads

For Store Owners

Merchant Accounts
Cool Resources
Advertise Here
"Powered by" Logos
Web Hosting Search

Misc.

Contact Us
MEET's Talking Guide
The Ancient Greek Agora

AgoraCart Free User Forums

This is the official FAQ and Cool Tips guide For the AgoraCart shopping Cart software

Official Sponsors of the AgoraCart Project:

RegisterSearchFAQLog in
Reply to topic Page 1 of 1
This is what I want, can Agora do it?
Post This is what I want, can Agora do it? 
I already have a site built. I do not want to change to look or location of my site. I have been trying to use PayPal's shopping cart but it just can't do shipping costs the way I need it to. I'll use my sculpted bears as an example.

The problem I'm running into is that PayPal's coding is item specific and I
really need a cart that can make the added shipping charges collection specific or site wide. I need to be able to have the cart charge $5.00 for the first bear ordered ordered, $3.00 for the second bear order ordered and so on. The way PayPal does shipping is $5.00 for the first bear, $3.00 for the second of the same bear. So, when someone does order a second but different bear PayPay adds $5.00 again. Not a good thing.

Can AgoraCart handle shipping costs the way I need it to be done? Can I add AgoraCart without rewriting my site? Can I keep the look of my site the same? Here's a link if you want to see what I'm talking about www.dowitstudio.com

Thanks for any information you can give me, if AgoraCart can do what I need then I'm joining up.

cool stuff!!!
agoracart is perl/cgi. an array can be composed to do just about anything. i know this is what you want but...
the problem i see most often is with flat rate shipping. any charges over and above the shipping rate comes directly out of your pocket. i highly recommend that you do a realtime api and charge the going rate for shipping. it's easier and helps to offset other unforseen expenses.
if you want to offer some sort of savings for qty or what have you it would be best to discount the product(s). this method is much better as the varibles are known (as much as possible) and can be controlled in trems of expense and profit margin. in a nut shell shipping can take quite a bite out of profits because the actual expense to you is unknown.
this can be done but it will be quite involved and no doubt will require some custom coding expense.

absolutely, you can keep the site as is and use agoracart for shoppingcart purposes without a dB. there are some limitations which may require you (depending on the advanced features you may wish to incorporate) develop a dB. since your site is already established you can use the current pages with a "buy now" type of button or you can link from your static pages to the dB driven store. so whether or not you have a dB pretty much is dependant on which complex functions you need to use for your site.

as far as "more work", i wouldn't think of it in those terms. regardless of your approach to any shoppingcart integration one must be sure it's done correctly. ease of navigation, logical incorporation, SEO and functionality all come into play. the very worse thing anyone can do is add products to a store with no thought or concern for SEO and no content outside of any shoppingcart program. so you are absolutely correct in wanting to keep what you have and have the store be just that... a cash register, so to speak.

are you adamant about having a shipping discount or would a product qty discount be the same? you da boss. you decide.
regards,
dan

Reply to topic Page 1 of 1