The Official Website of AgoraCart and Agora.cgi
AgoraCart.com Demos Download AgoraCart User Manuals & Wiki Gold Members Forum Go Gold Now! Gold Version Memberships

AgoraCart.com

About
Features
Download
Payment Gateways
Send a Donation
Founders Club
BLOG: News & Updates

Showcases & Demos

AgoraCart Demos
Shop Live Stores

Downloads & Add-ons

Gold Version Downloads
DBwizz Database Mgr.
AgoraCart.com Store

Help & Support

User Manuals
Gold Version Users Forum
Gold Version Chat
Tech Support
Certified Agora Pros
Certified Designers
Hire a Freelancer

Gold Version Members

Member Benefits
Join Today!
Gold Members Home
Gold Version Users Forum
Gold Version Chat Rooms
Gold Version Downloads

For Store Owners

Merchant Accounts
Cool Resources
Advertise Here
"Powered by" Logos
Web Hosting Search

Misc.

Contact Us
MEET's Talking Guide
The Ancient Greek Agora

AgoraCart Free User Forums

This is the official FAQ and Cool Tips guide For the AgoraCart shopping Cart software

Official Sponsors of the AgoraCart Project:

RegisterSearchFAQLog in
Reply to topic Page 2 of 2
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Custom Shopping Cart
Post header and footer 
Hello,

With regards to header and footer editor: I understand that it is only used to manualate the default header and footer, but I don't know what to do with the header & footer editor file, "basic_store_header_footer_editor-ext_lib.pl". In other word, how am I suppose to use this file to manipuate the default header and footer of my shopping cart site?

Thanks for helping.

1SB

Basic header footer editor is really a waste if you change the way the default cart looks. The basic editor only handles changing of colors, font face, font size, Store name text, etc... Doesn't really allow for changing background graphics or layouts.

To use the basic header & footer, you need to place the file "basic_store_header_footer_editor-ext_lib.pl" in the protected directory. Then log in to the manager and there should be a button to access the Basic Header & Footer.

HTH!~

Get a Gold Membership
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger ICQ Number

By the way, do you know any free programs/software that customizes header & footer or webpage design?

Thanks

1SB

Which index.htm file should I retrieve to edit my shopping cart site?

I downloaded the index.htm file from the following folders:

CGI-BIN/ecommerce/AC
    CGI-BIN/ecommerce/AC/Admin Files
    CGI-BIN/ecommerce/AC/Custom
    CGI-BIN/ecommerce/AC/Data_Files
    CGI-BIN/ecommerce/AC/html

The point is; I don't know which index.htm file I should use to re-design (edit) my shopping cart page, because the source code in all of those files look like the following:

<HTML>
<HEAD>
<TITLE> </TITLE>
<meta http-equiv="Refresh" content="0; url=agora.cgi">
</HEAD>

<script language="javascript1.1">
<!-- Hide
location.replace ('agora.cgi');
// end hide -->
</script>

</HTML>

My goal is simply this:

1. CREATE A PAGE WITH CUSTOMIZE DESIGN(LAYOUT), THEN INCOPORATE AGORA SYSTEM INTO THIS PAGE.

or

2. EDIT THE DEFAULT SHOOPING SITE, THAT AGORA PROVIDE ME WITH, WITH MY OWN CUSTOMIZE LAYOUT.

Thank again for your incredible patience in answering my questions.

1SB

Post RE: index.html 
hell-o
the only index.html you need to customize is the
store/html/index.html
when you access your store with...
http://www.domain.com/store/agora.cgi
this is the file rendered. the rest of the index.html files are security files to prevent anyone from seeing and downloading any files within a folder which lacks an index.html. some servers are set up to list the contents of a folder if no index.* file is found. for example, of you don't have an index.html file in your images or css folder then go there like this:
http://www.domain.com/images/
don't define a file in the url. if your server is set up as expected then all the images will be listed in the browser window. you can then access each and every image. with an index.html then the server will display the index and all other files will be "hidden". same with the store folders. so don't edit or remove any index.html files within the store.

regards,
dan

store/html/index.html
store/html/html-templates/store-header.inc
store/html/html-templates/store-footer.inc
store/html/html-templates/secure_store-header.inc
store/html/html-templates/secure_store-footer.inc
From a previous post
Quote:
By the way, do you know any free programs/software that customizes header & footer or webpage design?

Any plain text editor, such as Notepad, or basic html editor. A nice free editor is HTML-Kit
http://www.htmlkit.com/

I am able to edit the shopping cart page now.

My next challange is to edit the outlook of the category/product page: Which folder should I look into to edit the page?

Example: If I were the owner of hgltd1.com, which folder should I look into to edit the site, http://www.hgltd1.com/cgi-bin/store/agora.cgi?cart_id=5385493.26705*sI8Uq3&xm=on&product=MULTIMEDIA ?

Thanks for helping.

1SB

/cgi-bin/store/html/html-templates/productPage.inc
Before you edit make a backup of the present productPage.inc file. You will find several files with productPage in the name. To use any of them just rename to productPage.inc. You may want to check them out first, as it may save you some editing. To review the various ppinc files use the following linking convention and change the part after the "ppinc=" for the various ppinc file nsmes.

http://www.your_domain.com/cgi-bin/store/agora.cgi?product=your_category&xm=on&ppinc=1a

Post Review Sites 
Hello,

I visited the following "web designing + shopping cart integrating" sites:

1 http://scorpionsystems.net/

2 http://www.ecommercetemplates.com/help/ecommplus/about.asp
3 http://www.goemerchant.com/minisite/mini-site.cgi?id=55&ad_session_id=467190372

4 http://www.hostdepot.com/Products/E-Commerce/Default.asp?aid=ga5
5 http://www.monstercommerce.com/?utm_source=google&utm_medium=ppc&utm_term=online+store&wcw=google

I would like to know if there's any review sites for those types of sites.

Thanks for helping.

1SB

Post RE: Review Sites 
hell-o
what services are you looking for? if you need a template or help integrating or need to have someone do a pro job with your store there is plenty of talent right here in the forums from the people who keep these forums going for free.
there are also other people who have contributed financaily to agoracart funding a product for others to use for free.
you are most certainly are free to come or go or to employ who you wish. inquire about competition on a webmasters board, please.
regards,
dan

http://www.AgoraPros.com

ASP Partners (design, hosting, installs, programming:
http://www.agoracart.com/pages/Authorized_Solutions_Providers/

Post getting a grasp on agoracart 
hell-o
aogracart is a hands on, do what you need, modular in concept shoppingcart. there are components you may need and some you will not need.
the first thing you have to do is configure your cart through the manager (urls and emails) so you can use it whithout errors. then you need to use your store just as a customer would to see all the functions and the flow of the store. you cannot do anything or plan a decent site without knowing exactly how your cart functions. get to know the default features.

user customization can be viewed in several major catagories.
populating the dB
header and footer
selection of the proper ppinc to display your products
customizing your storefront page
finally your transaction solution

along the way you will want to customize the header and body tags for the dB generated pages and the html pages within the store.

if you have any problems with any of these areas (or others) then you have 2 free forums you can research and helpful ppl who can guide you along the way. if you are still having problems wrapping your brain around how things work together and such (which is normal) and the frustration level is rising expotentailly you can sign up for the mentor program. this is inexpensive and will solve tons of problems and make life rosey again.

posting for help on the paypal boards for agoracart help isn't very wise. they wont know the program and you're just adding to your confusion by not staying focused. also, because they either don't know agoracart or have an adjenda you're likely to encounter ppl who will recommend other programs saying they are better or the best. well, agoracart is the best or i wouldn't be here, so there Laughing

point being stay focused. stop looking for all kinds of other solutions and never getting anything done. if agoracart will do everything you need then use it. it's a great program with many benefits. if agoracart wont do what you need then find a solution that will. stick to that solution and get your store up and running.

you have posted many good questions and got good help. what is it exactly you're having problems with?

regards,
dan

Post Customizing Actual Cart Display 
Hello,

I am having trouble finding the best way to customize the look and feel of the actual shopping cart code itself -- the table that displays the items in the cart, etc. I've already heavily modified the header and footer as well as other pages in the /store/html/html-templates directory to make them match the look and feel of my site. However, the rendering of the cart itself is not controlled by any of the files in this directory and I would very much like to make the colors match my scheme and alter the way the table looks.

Poking around, I have found that some of this code lives in /store/admin-files/agora_user_lib.pl -- for example the variable $sc_cart_display_str specifies the heading text for each column. It also looks like a fair amount of the HTML of the cart may be rendered in files under /store/library. Has someone else gone beyond customizing the header/footer to tackle these more elusive UI elements? Anything in the way of 'best practices' or hints for this would be greatly appreciated. If the code rendering this stuff is spread across too many different files to be practicably editable, has anyone been successful in reshaping these elements with CSS? A great contribution to the Agora project might be sprinkling enough div tags and id properties in the HTML to provide for look and feel control through simple stylesheet changes. Hmmmm.

Many Thanks,
David

David, you change much of the look by the settings in the manager -> Cart Display
and in the manager -> Store Layout

The new version due out soon will have more CSS control, but I think you will find the majority of what you are wanting to edit can be done through the manager.

If there are still things you want to edit, please post again and be very specific about exactly what you want to change and how you want it to look. Then we can better guide you to the areas to edit.

HTH!

Get a Gold Membership
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger ICQ Number
okay, i was trying too hard. i got so involved in all the html template editing that when i wanted to change the shopping cart i just started looking for the files, forgetting that this might be covered in the manager console. i was able to effect many of the changes i wanted to there, but ended up having to dig into /store/library/agora_order_lib.pl for a few things. i think i'm just about where i want to be now with the cart, so i'm very happy. anyway, thanks scottcrew for the information!

cheers,
david

What else did you want to affect that you edited the agora_order_lib.pl file? Editing this file is a sort of last resort, there may have been a setting in the agora.setup.db file or else where that would be a more standard file to edit.

Get a Gold Membership
i wanted to change the shopping cart and order summary tables so they have 1px colored borders. only way i know to do that is nesting the table inside a one cell table with a bgcolor and setting the cellspacing on the internal table to 1. there were a few other details that i really couldn't do without modifying the code directly.

cheers,
david

Did you set up CSS to handle the borders? That would probably be the best way of setting it up.
That way the style and color would all be handled by the CSS settings.

HTH!

Get a Gold Membership
Reply to topic Page 2 of 2
Goto page Previous  1, 2