The Official Website of AgoraCart and Agora.cgi
AgoraCart.com Demos Download AgoraCart User Manuals & Wiki Gold Members Forum Go Gold Now! Gold Version Memberships

AgoraCart.com

About
Features
Download
Payment Gateways
Send a Donation
Founders Club
BLOG: News & Updates

Showcases & Demos

AgoraCart Demos
Shop Live Stores

Downloads & Add-ons

Gold Version Downloads
DBwizz Database Mgr.
AgoraCart.com Store

Help & Support

User Manuals
Gold Version Users Forum
Gold Version Chat
Tech Support
Certified Agora Pros
Certified Designers
Hire a Freelancer

Gold Version Members

Member Benefits
Join Today!
Gold Members Home
Gold Version Users Forum
Gold Version Chat Rooms
Gold Version Downloads

For Store Owners

Merchant Accounts
Cool Resources
Advertise Here
"Powered by" Logos
Web Hosting Search

Misc.

Contact Us
MEET's Talking Guide
The Ancient Greek Agora

AgoraCart Free User Forums

This is the official FAQ and Cool Tips guide For the AgoraCart shopping Cart software

Official Sponsors of the AgoraCart Project:

RegisterSearchFAQLog in
Reply to topic Page 1 of 1
product management feedback desired
Post product management feedback desired 
Howdy all,

I want ed to see if I could solicit some feed back on how to improve the product management features of the online store manager areas. If you have some, please list on this thread or forever hold yer peace.. well until version 6 that is. I need as much input now as I'm working on version 5 in this area at this moment. so please submit yer constructive suggestions.

thanks,

Mister Ed

Need Low Cost Startup Option? Try NiftyPay's Pay to Play
http://www.NiftyPay.com
I think it would be helpful to have a larger input box for "Description - Enter the Text & HTML describing the product. " It can be a pain when there is a lot of code in there to try and scroll around to find what I need.

I know, I could copy and paste it into my editor and then copy and paste it back, but sometimes I'm lazy. Smile Besides, you asked for ideas. Smile Wink

bits and pieces...
maybe userfield resized too. and image boxes. when adding in subdirectory names along with some long image names things can get dicey.
maybe some notation on boxes or info popup explaining character warnings. had this suggestion recently.
also, if user 2 could have image support the same as user1 then lots of confusion could be avoided for popups, i think. it would allow for more image versatility. i think.
ummm lets see, what else? er, ahhh...
oh. why is there an image path set in the change password screen? grin. shouldn't that be moved to a place that would facilitate customization better?
er, ahhhh...

how about index.cgi either in addition to the subdirectory indexes or replace the index.html with meta redirects. the index.htmls wont work in the cgi-bin and the modern servers i think default to anything index.*

er, ummm oh, is there a more modern securer .htaccess process that can be implimented in the required directories?

er, ahem... oh yeah, how about auto trimming leading blank spaces and trailing blank spaces in all url text boxes and anywhere else it can lead to problems. when copying and pasting this can lead to a bad hair day, for sure.
well, i suppose that's enough for now. maybe will spark some ideas for others. but then again this will probably be deleted by morning like most of my other posts.
dan

One of my issues in the manager is that in some cases the maxlength set for the fields is not long enough and I end up just removing the maxlength fromthe fields in the manager "ext" file.

Oh, the image file name and upload area. Perhaps they could be on the same line and perhaps a note about image name must match, no spaces in image names, case sensitivity...

This may be out there, but, in the product edit, is it possible to be able to view a thumbnail of the image that is on file?

I think you alrady mentioned something about being able to rename the user fields so it is easier to remember what the field was used for.... I like that idea...

I think that's about it, for now.....

HTH!

Get a Gold Membership
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger ICQ Number
well some of this was posted in the members only forum, so those that are members can look up info there.

but the gist of changes from input in both forums so far is this:

user field names are now changeable for display purposes... comes with a manager.

I've lengthened the maxlengths on most of the fields.

added more upload boxes

changes some wording for each field on screen.

added tips and links to resources at bottom of each screen.

made the default variable 100 for number of products shown in edit/delete screens instead of 25

added a nav info link to bottom of displays of the product list (edit/delete)... now at top and bottom

made the description box 10 rows instead of 5

created routines to filter out returns,all spaces,newlines, tabs, etc on most fields (image names, prices, shipping info, item numbers/IDs), but allowing atleast one space (no multiples in seqeunce or next to each other) in categories, product names and userfields. this will cut down 98% of cut and paste errors that grab invisible characters and spaces at both ends... after that... if you don't grab a letter .. that be yer fault, not the cart's.

as fer .htaccess... didn't know there was a "more secure" version.... grin.

as fer changing stuff fer inside the cgi-bin... well that is meant to be that way. If server is setup correctly, cgi-bins tighten up security so that text files of certain types, and other binary files (images, etc) not directly related to scripting are not accessible directly via a URL in the browser. if you must reside in a cgi-bin, then you need to act like it. use the picserve and agora.cgi files. if needs be make a second copy of agora.cgi and rename it to index.cgi (and chmod to 755 under account ownership privs and ownerships) ... works okay on most server configurations.

I can't resize the boxes on other fields length wise now due to the new look and current sizing works well with that now.

all these are good idears. ones I could change have been changed now (or already done the last couple days). probably made other changes too, but so many things are changing. but the tips section still dang ugly Smile I'll probably improve that and the online manuals within a few revision cycles.. since I'm trying to implement upgrade technologies to atleast tell ya which files at the core have changed from those installed in each user's store (still working on it and will grow into a bit more of an automated function later)

if you folks think of more, lemme know

Mister Ed

PS - also check me blog to see what is done every so often:
http://www.agoracart.com/blog/index.php?/categories/3-5.0.x-Versions

Need Low Cost Startup Option? Try NiftyPay's Pay to Play
http://www.NiftyPay.com
Reply to topic Page 1 of 1