The Official Website of AgoraCart and Agora.cgi
AgoraCart.com Demos Download AgoraCart User Manuals & Wiki Gold Members Forum Go Gold Now! Gold Version Memberships

AgoraCart.com

About
Features
Download
Payment Gateways
Send a Donation
Founders Club
BLOG: News & Updates

Showcases & Demos

AgoraCart Demos
Shop Live Stores

Downloads & Add-ons

Gold Version Downloads
DBwizz Database Mgr.
AgoraCart.com Store

Help & Support

User Manuals
Gold Version Users Forum
Gold Version Chat
Tech Support
Certified Agora Pros
Certified Designers
Hire a Freelancer

Gold Version Members

Member Benefits
Join Today!
Gold Members Home
Gold Version Users Forum
Gold Version Chat Rooms
Gold Version Downloads

For Store Owners

Merchant Accounts
Cool Resources
Advertise Here
"Powered by" Logos
Web Hosting Search

Misc.

Contact Us
MEET's Talking Guide
The Ancient Greek Agora

AgoraCart Free User Forums

This is the official FAQ and Cool Tips guide For the AgoraCart shopping Cart software

Official Sponsors of the AgoraCart Project:

RegisterSearchFAQLog in
Reply to topic Page 1 of 1
Database
Post Database 
Hi,

Can I place the colour, price and size details in the database?

The reason I ask is that I am going to try and 'call' these in dynamically to an options file.

Regards,

Rik

sure. agoracart is quite dynamic. options are parsed on such a level that much can be prepopulated with tokens. futhermore, options can be as much a part of the productpage design as the header and footer are. this allows one to make the best use of limited space.

you can use nearly all tokens available. however, stuff like colors and sizes would need to be entered into userfields, generally speaking. without additional scripting you would need to enter each size and color values in seperate fields, which, is making poor use of a limited userfield set.

in this case your best bet would find products with common sizes then make an option file with all of these sizes in them. name the option file something that would indicate the contents and the option number. XLXMS-001.html for example. XL, X, M, S represent the sizes and 001 represents the option number. the option number is important in that all option numbers must be unique you cannot call multiple options containing the same option number without conflict. you can however, use the auto option numbering token but i wouldn't use that for every option. just be sure that each option has it's own number padded accordingly so sorting can take place in a meaningful manner. you can have up to 999 unique option numbers.

back to the options... make the common size option then do the same for the color. brgyo-002.html for example. blue, red, green, yellow, orange -002.
in many cases you can join these two options together and use the single optionfile on a number of products, as is. suppose you have products where the sizes are common but color sets change a lot. you can do a color option then call the size option with the "load option" token or vise versa. or in the case of mixing and matching you can do an option file by product name for example, then do load option for size and color seleted from a variety of prescripted options.
take a look at the store/html/options/gift_option.html to see how to impliment the load option token.
d

Post Thanks 
Hi,

Thanks for that, I have a problem with numbers which means I am dyspraxic in that I can't see numbers.

Do you by any chance have an example options file which has all three elements in so that I can see how this is implemented?

It would save me an awful lot of time

Just have to learn where, in the database, I can place size, colour, price

Many Thanks

Rik

suppose you have a seperate but common size option that you can use for multiple products. it may look something like this...
Code:

<HTML>
<TITLE>XL L M S 001</TITLE>
<BODY>
 <h3>--cut here--</h3>
<TABLE CELLPADDING="0" CELLSPACING="0">
  <TR ALIGN="CENTER">
    <TD>
      <SELECT NAME = "option|001|%%PRODUCT_ID%%">
      <OPTION>Sizes
      <OPTION VALUE = "XL|">XLarge
      <OPTION VALUE = "Large|">Large
      <OPTION VALUE = "Medium|">Medium
      <OPTION VALUE = "Small|">Small
      </SELECT></TD>
  </TR>
</TABLE>
<h3>--cut here--</h3>
</BODY>
</HTML>

so you would name this file "XLLMS-001.html". the reason for naming in such a manner is for easy reference. at a galance you know the sizes and option number so you can either select this file by name knowing it's contents or when composing another option you know the sizes and option number are already in use... helps to avoid duplication and no need to open the file for review.

suppose you have a common color set as well. but these colors maybe used with different size sets. so you make a color option file...

Code:

<HTML>
<TITLE>yellow green blue pink 002</TITLE>
<BODY>
 <h3>--cut here--</h3>
  <TR ALIGN="CENTER">
    <TD>
      <SELECT NAME = "option|002|%%PRODUCT_ID%%">
      <OPTION>Color
      <OPTION VALUE = "Yellow|">Yellow
      <OPTION VALUE = "Green|">Green
      <OPTION VALUE = "Blue|">Blue
      <OPTION VALUE = "Pink|">Pink
      </SELECT></TD>
  </TR>
</TABLE>
<h3>--cut here--</h3>
</BODY>
</HTML>

you may want to name this option file "ygbp-002.html". so now you have easy reference for quickly adding to an auto option file. to create an option file which calls these two options you may have something like this...

Code:

<HTML>
<TITLE>01XL L M S - Y G B P02</TITLE>
<BODY>
<h3>--cut here--</h3>
  <TR ALIGN="CENTER">
    <TD>
      <FONT FACE=ARIAL SIZE="2"><B>Select Size And Color</B></FONT></TD>
  </TR>
  <tr>
    <td>
      %%Load_Option_file XLLMS-001.html%%</td>
  </tr>
  <tr>
    <td>
      %%Load_Option_file ygbp-002.html%%</td>
  </tr>
</TABLE>
<h3>--cut here--</h3>
</BODY>
</HTML>

so you may want to name this auto option file "01XLLMS-YGBP02.html" or something to that effect. the numbers and letters are self explanitory. this is the file that you would select in the add or edit products screen in the store manager for the product. the table scructure may not be what you want so it will take some thought to structure the tables in all files according to needs.

now this may seem a little silly on the elementary scale but it is a very powerful feature for complicated options. you could even do something like...

Code:

<HTML>
<TITLE>XL L M S 001</TITLE>
<BODY>
 <h3>--cut here--</h3>
  <TR ALIGN="CENTER">
    <TD>
      <SELECT NAME = "option|001|%%PRODUCT_ID%%">
      <OPTION>Sizes
      <OPTION VALUE = "XL|">XLarge
      <OPTION VALUE = "Large|">Large
      <OPTION VALUE = "Medium|">Medium
      <OPTION VALUE = "Small|">Small
      </SELECT></TD>
  </TR>
  <TR>
    <TD>
      %%Load_Option_file ygbp-002.html%%</TD>
  </TR>   
</TABLE>
<h3>--cut here--</h3>
</BODY>
</HTML>

d

Post Understood... 
Hi,

Thanks for that, most helpful and clear, I'll have a look at this more

One further question if I may :

The colours of the products vary a great deal as well as the sizes. I can see the price gets called ok and figured we could do this for the two elements that I referr to

I am playing with the fields in the database in order to add these seperate elements so that the options file can call them and be written dynamicaly.

Not sure if the 'pro version' (when I get it) actually allows for this which would make the process much easier.

Regards,

Rik

with more userfields this can be acheived. the pro version options are the same. no real differences as the options seem to satisfy nearly every need.
being a pro lifer you can get the 10 userfield download and if you need more you can get the 20 userfield with a booster pack subscription.
i don't see any reason why the options can't be populated with tokens to display userfield contents. you just need a sufficent quatitiy of userfields
d

Post That sounds perfect Dan! 
Hi,

That sounds perfect Dan!

You see, withover 5000+ products it would be a nightmare to create seperate option files.

It would save me an awful lot of time if I could simply enter the colours and prices in the 'Add Product' screen which would write to the database.

I like the flat file approach as I am not too hot with sql which I 'hope' I can continue to use with the pro Version (when I get it Wink )

I did write Mr Ed but as yet still no response.

Still waiting for the other purchase I made with regards the user screens setup addon

Regards & Many Thanks

Rik

keep in mind that the userfields will have to be dedicated. in other words you can't use them for anything else unless you script for exclusions.
you will have to think it out and user say, user2 thru user6 for colors and user7 thru user10 for sizes.
you can use agorascript in the options to test the userfield. if it's empty then no "blank" option is displayed. if the usrefield is populated then the option is displayed. this will allow you to do a single option file with say 10 options. but for some products you may only have 5 colors where some products have 10. so instead of having 5 options and 5 empty options only 5 are displayed with the agorascript. pretty cool, eh?
d

Post Re: That sounds perfect Dan! 
Rik wrote:

I like the flat file approach as I am not too hot with sql which I 'hope' I can continue to use with the pro Version (when I get it Wink )

I did write Mr Ed but as yet still no response.

The pro version is still a flat file database. The mySQL version isn't available yet.

HTH!

Get a Gold Membership
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger ICQ Number
Post Thank you both... 
Hi,

PLEASE could you ask Mr Ed to get the pro version sorted for me?

I have completed the cart but it needs to be up and running before next week and don't want to have to make loads of changes with the pro version.

Regards,

Rik

What do you mean by sorted??

Get a Gold Membership
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger ICQ Number
Post Sorry... 
Hi,

Sorry, english jargon.....meaning when can I get the pro version script so I can complete the project.

Worried that I will have tyo learn a completely new setup.

Also, I have two catagories :

One is called Stockings the other BodyStocking

When searching for stocking it brings up both?

Any ideas would be appriciated

regards,

Rik

I can't tell Mister Ed anything... Please allow up to 5 business days from when you placed your pro membership request to be activated. If it has been more that the 5 business days, please contact Mister Ed directly.

It's not that big a jump from the 2 versions as long as you haven't done a lot of customization or added various hacks.

To pull up the correct products in your category listings, you will need to edit the category listing agorascript stuff in the store header; you will need to put in the URL:
Code:
&xm=on

So it will look a bit like this when rendered:
agora.cgi?product=Stockings&xm=on

HTH!

Get a Gold Membership
Post That Did It! 
Hi,

That did it!

Many Thanks

Regards,

Rik

if you're in a bind for time and the public version suits your needs for now then just stick with the public version to get it up and running. i think i have the 10 user hack for the free version (4.0k-4b) when you get in the pro forum pm me and i'll send it to you. you can apply the hack to the free version, get your stuff sorted Laughing then go live. you can then work with the pro version in the background as time allows. you will loose time trying to learn some of the new stuff in the pro version. so stick with what you have for now.
you're gonna feel like a plonker in that new manager Laughing
d

Reply to topic Page 1 of 1