The Official Website of AgoraCart and Agora.cgi
AgoraCart.com Demos Download AgoraCart User Manuals & Wiki Gold Members Forum Go Gold Now! Gold Version Memberships

AgoraCart.com

About
Features
Download
Payment Gateways
Send a Donation
Founders Club
BLOG: News & Updates

Showcases & Demos

AgoraCart Demos
Shop Live Stores

Downloads & Add-ons

Gold Version Downloads
DBwizz Database Mgr.
AgoraCart.com Store

Help & Support

User Manuals
Gold Version Users Forum
Gold Version Chat
Tech Support
Certified Agora Pros
Certified Designers
Hire a Freelancer

Gold Version Members

Member Benefits
Join Today!
Gold Members Home
Gold Version Users Forum
Gold Version Chat Rooms
Gold Version Downloads

For Store Owners

Merchant Accounts
Cool Resources
Advertise Here
"Powered by" Logos
Web Hosting Search

Misc.

Contact Us
MEET's Talking Guide
The Ancient Greek Agora

AgoraCart Free User Forums

This is the official FAQ and Cool Tips guide For the AgoraCart shopping Cart software

Official Sponsors of the AgoraCart Project:

RegisterSearchFAQLog in
Reply to topic Page 1 of 2
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Cart keeps kicking me back to login
Post Cart keeps kicking me back to login 
I'm having problems getting work done in the cart, because it randomly kicks me back to the login page. This is an intermittent problem, worse during certain hours of the day.

I can get into the manager just fine about half the time, and can manage to get some work done, but it will kick me back to the login on average at least 3-5 times for any given work session. It is NOT associated with a specific area of the manager, it happens with all of them, and I HAVE been able to access every config option to set up the cart if I am persistent enough. It is just highly annoying, and wastes my time, because if it kicks me back to the login, it does not save changes, and it can take multiple tries just to get where I need to go to make a change.

Accessing the site through Mozilla, on somewhat unstable satellite internet connection (no other options for internet here).

Laura
Mom to Eight
http://www.firelightwebstudio.com/

Make sure that when you are accessing the manager you are satisfying the "2 dot rule" with the manager URL.
IE: http://www.domain.com/store/protected/manager.cgi

Please keep in mind that some web hosts have set limits as to after a certain amount of inactivity, it automatically requires a relogin to applications...

HTH!

Get a Gold Membership
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger ICQ Number
Post It isn't that 
The two-dot rule is being observed, it is kicking me back to the login at different points - sometimes I get into the site three or four screens, sometimes one screen, sometimes I am moving quickly from one area to another, and it just randomly boots me.

I've had it sitting there with no activity for as long as 15 minutes and it keeps running, other times it persistently kicks me out every third or fourth action. It is completely random, happens at all stages of work, and under a huge variety of circumstances. And it DOESN'T happen under those SAME circumstances just as often as it DOES happen.

I've wondered if it is because the browser loses the internet connection. Given that we are using satellite, the connection is not highly stable, and several other internet apps do funky things when the signal breaks.

I'm already gray, I don't need to go bald pulling my hair out over a persistently annoying shopping cart. It is sort of like a two-year old that you hope isn't going to have a meltdown just when you need them to behave! :)

Laura
Mom to Eight

The intermittent loss of signal could explain it...
You do have the .htaccess set up? When you first log in do you see a message about cookies not working? Make sure you allow cookies for your site in your browser...

HTH!

Get a Gold Membership
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger ICQ Number
There is no message about cookies, and my browser is set to allow them. I can access the .htaccess file for the site.

If it is the internet connection, is there anything I can do about it?

Laura
Mom to Eight

If it's the internet connection, no, there's nothing that an be done.

Get a Gold Membership
you can try setting up the manager to not use cookies. it's one more parameter being checked on page transitions. i suspect that there maybe some packet loss. not requiring cookies maybe the answer.
d

How and where would I set up the manager to not use cookies? And what other kinds of issues might it cause if I did?

Thanks!

Laura
Mom to Eight

in 4.0k-4b log into the manager got to the main agoracart store settings then click on password settings. find this field...
"Do you wish to use manager login cookies? Requires cookies to be allowed in browser. Allows up to 2 store manager logins at the same exact time."
select NO then save.

in 5.x basically the same thing.

not sure if this will help but getting kicked out of the manager like that is most often caused by cookie problems.

d

Thanks, I'll give that a try. My client does not access the cart right now, so multiple simultaneous logins are not an issue.

We've just gone from HORRID dial-up (I spent 50 minutes one morning uploading about 200 k of data!) to marginal satellite internet which is undoubtedly better than the dial-up, but still has annoyances. No other options available out in the middle of nowhere - at least, not affordable ones!

Laura
Mom to Eight

middle of nowhere? me too. heck i'm so far out in the sticks my zip code is EEEE iiiii EEEE iiii ooooo Laughing
we just got fiberoptic last sept so now on dsl but it's at the bottom of the pile for speed. however, it's light years faster than dialup.
sorry you have no other alternative. i know what waiting for delays and slow transfers can do. the hole in my haircut is just now begining to grow back. too, i can now go ahead and buy that flat screen i always wanted without fear of putting my fist through it. hahahaha.
good luck
d
is your satellite two way or is it download through satellite but upload through phoneline?

Two way satellite. Dial-up here was so bad that we could not do business effectively at all the last month or so. We'd have it out for days at a time, and slowdowns as soon as the kids got home from school (other people's kids - not ours!). Not just visible slowdowns, PAINFULLY slow.

I used ALFTP for an FTP client, but it would lose the connection and dump the job - not very efficient when you have 30 sites to upload, and it dumps the job every 10th file. Switched to FireFTP, and it reconnects automatically and re-sends the file that it failed with. It works better with satellite.

I am sure there is a pattern to the login problems, but have not yet isolated times of day, wind, or other factors that might influence satellite stability. The wind blows hard enough out here that even anchored, the dishes move some.

Laura
Mom to Eight

it sounds like you maybe going through page transistions too quickly for the store to keep up. in other words the store thinks there are too many requests. or it maybe indeed the satellite system. maybe firewall or blocking referrers or something.
which store version are you using?
d

Using Agora version 5, firewall settings are not interfering.

Laura
Mom to Eight

does your browser have cookies and session cookies enabled?

only other thing i can think of is try to slow down between page transitions. see if that helps.
d

Tried different cookies settings in the cart manager, no difference. Browser has session cookies enabled.

Cart still does this, intermittently, no matter how fast or slow I access the pages (tested that yesterday). Took five times to get into the product add area (kicked me out at different points), then it let me add three products, kicked me out, took three more tries to get back in, then it was stable as a rock while I added about 15 more products.

That is pretty typical.

Laura
Mom to Eight

if your internet connection is flakey on satellite uplink, it could be that it is reassigning a new IP address, which would then look like a new session and demand a new login.

Other things could be firewall settings.

Make sure yer not using something like a proprietary browser, like AOL or Wal~mart's.

I didn't catch if it was all of the logins (cart and htaccess) or just the cart itself. You might also need to make sure all cookies are allowed in your browser, jsut to seee if it makes a difference.

Could be many things though,

Mister Ed

Need Low Cost Startup Option? Try NiftyPay's Pay to Play
http://www.NiftyPay.com
you might want to try an online free proxy service. it will assign and maintain an ip address if yours is unstable.
did you set the manager not to run with session cookies?
d

Tried it with manager set to not use session cookies. Kicked me out right away the next time I logged in.

Only does it with the cart login, not the .htaccess login.

Can you recommend a proxy service to try?

Laura
Mom to Eight

well that is getting closer. Do you have norton Internet security, or zone alarm or similar type software? if so, you will need to lower the security settings or whitelist your site (maybe all the way down to the manager.cgi in the URL).

One interesting thing to consider ...

your server might have what is called mod_security installed and it might be too restrictive. This would block form submit variables (such as data it thought to be a potential attack). To isolate that, see if you can log into a cart elsewhere, such as the demos and see if that makes a difference. You might look at changing your username and password to something generic as well ... just to test (it might see a portion of a word or character set it doesn't like).

disclaimer: these idears will only isloate a couple million options from the 10 billion possibilities ... lol

Mister Ed

Need Low Cost Startup Option? Try NiftyPay's Pay to Play
http://www.NiftyPay.com
pm me and i'll send ya access to my pro/boosterpack default store and store manager. you can test there for access probs and also see what the lifetime/boosterpack looks like. it's so cool.
d

Thanks guys... I'm only using XP's default firewall, and it isn't set so it will interfere. No other software to conflict.

Accessing with Mozilla, to a shared hosting account on a 'nix platform.

Laura
Mom to Eight

Did you ever figure out a solution to this problem? I'm having the same issue. Seems to be a timeout. FOr example, if I don't type real fast when entering a product or making any change, it asks me for the username and password.

When accessing the manager make sure that you are not breaking the "2 dot rule" and are accessing the manager using the www. in front of your domain name.

HTH!

Get a Gold Membership
It isn't the two-dot rule with my situation. And no, I never did find a solution. I am assuming it is the internet connection, as I am also experiencing severe problems with FTP uploads.

Reply to topic Page 1 of 2
Goto page 1, 2  Next