The Official Website of AgoraCart and Agora.cgi
AgoraCart.com Demos Download AgoraCart User Manuals & Wiki Gold Members Forum Go Gold Now! Gold Version Memberships

AgoraCart.com

About
Features
Download
Payment Gateways
Send a Donation
Founders Club
BLOG: News & Updates

Showcases & Demos

AgoraCart Demos
Shop Live Stores

Downloads & Add-ons

Gold Version Downloads
DBwizz Database Mgr.
AgoraCart.com Store

Help & Support

User Manuals
Gold Version Users Forum
Gold Version Chat
Tech Support
Certified Agora Pros
Certified Designers
Hire a Freelancer

Gold Version Members

Member Benefits
Join Today!
Gold Members Home
Gold Version Users Forum
Gold Version Chat Rooms
Gold Version Downloads

For Store Owners

Merchant Accounts
Cool Resources
Advertise Here
"Powered by" Logos
Web Hosting Search

Misc.

Contact Us
MEET's Talking Guide
The Ancient Greek Agora

AgoraCart Free User Forums

This is the official FAQ and Cool Tips guide For the AgoraCart shopping Cart software

Official Sponsors of the AgoraCart Project:

RegisterSearchFAQLog in
Reply to topic Page 1 of 1
Problem with product database is locking up manager.cgi
Post Problem with product database is locking up manager.cgi 
Hi all,

I have a store all ready to go, and it's the 3rd or 4th store that I've set up with AgoraCart, so I thought I understood what I was doing with the product database. But I keep screwing something up in such a way that it makes manager.cgi run endlessly!

The first time, it happened when I exported the database to a CSV, edited it and then imported the new file. When I went back to the "Edit Product" screen to tweak a mis-spelling, and hit "submit", it put the script into an endless loop that locked up the server. It was so bad that my hosting company (MidPhase.com, which recommends AgoraCart) had to reboot the shared server.

So I backed off and imported a backup of a product database that I knew was "safe". Then I went to the manager.cgi and did "Add Product", but by the second or third one I entered, when I hit "Submit Edit", it just ran and ran, and never actually submitted. I heard from my hosting company (MidPhase) that I had locked up the entire shared server again, and they were very annoyed!

So I have two questions:
1) Is there any way that I can test a product database "offline", so I don't lock up the server again?
2) If not, I've posted the problematic file at http://www.sas.upenn.edu/~scheydec/agora/ so you can see it - the first record seems to be okay, but there's something wrong with one of the later records.

I'm sure I'm following all of the guidelines at http://www.agoracart.com/agorawiki/index.php?title=Adding_Products_to_Your_Store_V5, so I don't know what I've done wrong!

If anyone can help me with this, I'd really appreciate it!

Thanks!

The database in AgoraCart is a flat file, pipe delimited database. THe best thing would to use something like CSVed to convert your Excel file into a pipe delimited file without any "" text qualifiers.
Then you can just upload the file directly to the server in ASCII mode.

HTH!

Get a Gold Membership
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger ICQ Number
Okay, I'll do that for download/edit/upload. But I had the same problem when I started with an empty database and went to the manager.cgi and did "Add Product". By the second or third product I entered, when I hit "Submit", it just ran and ran, and never actually submitted.

My hosting company (MidPhase) is really, really annoyed that I've locked up the entire shared server a couple of times, so they're threatening to disable my AgoraCart entirely if I do it again. I can't afford for that to happen, so I want to be really, really careful.

So could you please have a look at my data (opening it in CSVed or whatever) to see if you can see what I'm doing wrong in some field that might be causing this endless loop?

Thanks!

You don't even have a data.file file on the server...
You need to have a data.file file on the server. Create a blank one and upload it to the server in ASCII mode.

HTH!

Get a Gold Membership
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger ICQ Number
No, I definitely have a data.file on the server! The file I posted for you is just the CSV export that I edited and then imported, which was giving me trouble. I used FTP to download it from the server where my AgoraCart file is, and uploaded it to a totally different server so I could show it to you.

The actual store is
http://www.stolkerproperties.com/available/agora.cgi
which just has one item in the database now, because I had to clean it out so it would run. I'm worried about how to add other products without causing an endless loop that requires my hosting company to reboot the server. The file that I pointed you to at http://www.sas.upenn.edu/~scheydec/agora/ is NOT the installation, it's just a place I could publicly "park" the file to ask people to check it for me.

Is there any way to test a product database (data.file) offline, so I don't crash the server again?

Thanks

The store should work fine and add products just fine...
Unless you are putting hard returns in the description, you should be able add the products with no problem...

What kind of server errors are logged when it happens?
Are there and errors logged in AgoraCart's error log?

Get a Gold Membership
My hosting company didn't tell me what kind of server errors were logged, but I saw that when I hit "submit" on adding a problematic product, it never took me to the next page, it just hung. And the hosting company said it was a runaway script.

I didn't know you couldn't have hard returns in a description, so I probably did have those! Could that have caused this problem? Should I be using <br> or <br /> for a line break? Is there any documentation on this, because http://www.agoracart.com/agorawiki/index.php?title=Adding_Products_to_Your_Store_V5 isn't specific about hard returns causing havoc!

My error log doesn't seem to have anything about it that I can see (this problem happened in August, and the error log only has entries from July, when I was first setting up the structure of the store). But here it is, in case there's anything helpful you can see in it, that I've missed.

Code:
FILE OPEN ERROR-|FILE=./library/agora_order_lib.pl|LINE=1860|DATE=Monday, July 30, 2007 at 17:49:06|CONTENT_LENGTH: 611|CONTENT_TYPE: application/x-www-form-urlencoded|DOCUMENT_ROOT: /home/stolsto8/public_html|GATEWAY_INTERFACE: CGI/1.1|HTTP_ACCEPT: text/xml,application/xml,application/xhtml+xml,text/html;q=0.9,text/plain;q=0.8,image/png,*/*;q=0.5|HTTP_ACCEPT_CHARSET: ISO-8859-1,utf-8;q=0.7,*;q=0.7|HTTP_ACCEPT_ENCODING: gzip,deflate|HTTP_ACCEPT_LANGUAGE: en-us,en;q=0.5|HTTP_CACHE_CONTROL: no-cache|HTTP_CONNECTION: keep-alive|HTTP_HOST: www.stolkerproperties.com|HTTP_KEEP_ALIVE: 300|HTTP_PRAGMA: no-cache|HTTP_REFERER: http://www.stolkerproperties.com/available/agora.cgi|HTTP_USER_AGENT: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US; rv:1.8.1.5) Gecko/20070713 Firefox/2.0.0.5|PATH: /bin:/usr/bin|QUERY_STRING: |REMOTE_ADDR: 72.78.132.13|REMOTE_PORT: 50230|REQUEST_METHOD: POST|REQUEST_URI: /available/agora.cgi|SCRIPT_FILENAME: /home/stolsto8/public_html/available/agora.cgi|SCRIPT_NAME: /available/agora.cgi|SERVER_ADDR: 216.104.33.94|SERVER_ADMIN: webmaster@stolkerproperties.com|SERVER_NAME: www.stolkerproperties.com|SERVER_PORT: 80|SERVER_PROTOCOL: HTTP/1.1|SERVER_SOFTWARE: Apache/1.3.37 (Unix) PHP/5.2.1 mod_auth_passthrough/1.8 mod_log_bytes/1.2 mod_bwlimited/1.4 FrontPage/5.0.2.2635.SR1.2 mod_ssl/2.8.28 OpenSSL/0.9.7a|
FILE OPEN ERROR-|FILE=./library/agora_order_lib.pl|LINE=1864|DATE=Monday, July 30, 2007 at 17:49:06|CONTENT_LENGTH: 611|CONTENT_TYPE: application/x-www-form-urlencoded|DOCUMENT_ROOT: /home/stolsto8/public_html|GATEWAY_INTERFACE: CGI/1.1|HTTP_ACCEPT: text/xml,application/xml,application/xhtml+xml,text/html;q=0.9,text/plain;q=0.8,image/png,*/*;q=0.5|HTTP_ACCEPT_CHARSET: ISO-8859-1,utf-8;q=0.7,*;q=0.7|HTTP_ACCEPT_ENCODING: gzip,deflate|HTTP_ACCEPT_LANGUAGE: en-us,en;q=0.5|HTTP_CACHE_CONTROL: no-cache|HTTP_CONNECTION: keep-alive|HTTP_HOST: www.stolkerproperties.com|HTTP_KEEP_ALIVE: 300|HTTP_PRAGMA: no-cache|HTTP_REFERER: http://www.stolkerproperties.com/available/agora.cgi|HTTP_USER_AGENT: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US; rv:1.8.1.5) Gecko/20070713 Firefox/2.0.0.5|PATH: /bin:/usr/bin|QUERY_STRING: |REMOTE_ADDR: 72.78.132.13|REMOTE_PORT: 50230|REQUEST_METHOD: POST|REQUEST_URI: /available/agora.cgi|SCRIPT_FILENAME: /home/stolsto8/public_html/available/agora.cgi|SCRIPT_NAME: /available/agora.cgi|SERVER_ADDR: 216.104.33.94|SERVER_ADMIN: webmaster@stolkerproperties.com|SERVER_NAME: www.stolkerproperties.com|SERVER_PORT: 80|SERVER_PROTOCOL: HTTP/1.1|SERVER_SOFTWARE: Apache/1.3.37 (Unix) PHP/5.2.1 mod_auth_passthrough/1.8 mod_log_bytes/1.2 mod_bwlimited/1.4 FrontPage/5.0.2.2635.SR1.2 mod_ssl/2.8.28 OpenSSL/0.9.7a|
FILE OPEN ERROR-|FILE=./library/agora_order_lib.pl|LINE=863|DATE=Monday, July 30, 2007 at 17:49:06|CONTENT_LENGTH: 611|CONTENT_TYPE: application/x-www-form-urlencoded|DOCUMENT_ROOT: /home/stolsto8/public_html|GATEWAY_INTERFACE: CGI/1.1|HTTP_ACCEPT: text/xml,application/xml,application/xhtml+xml,text/html;q=0.9,text/plain;q=0.8,image/png,*/*;q=0.5|HTTP_ACCEPT_CHARSET: ISO-8859-1,utf-8;q=0.7,*;q=0.7|HTTP_ACCEPT_ENCODING: gzip,deflate|HTTP_ACCEPT_LANGUAGE: en-us,en;q=0.5|HTTP_CACHE_CONTROL: no-cache|HTTP_CONNECTION: keep-alive|HTTP_HOST: www.stolkerproperties.com|HTTP_KEEP_ALIVE: 300|HTTP_PRAGMA: no-cache|HTTP_REFERER: http://www.stolkerproperties.com/available/agora.cgi|HTTP_USER_AGENT: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US; rv:1.8.1.5) Gecko/20070713 Firefox/2.0.0.5|PATH: /bin:/usr/bin|QUERY_STRING: |REMOTE_ADDR: 72.78.132.13|REMOTE_PORT: 50230|REQUEST_METHOD: POST|REQUEST_URI: /available/agora.cgi|SCRIPT_FILENAME: /home/stolsto8/public_html/available/agora.cgi|SCRIPT_NAME: /available/agora.cgi|SERVER_ADDR: 216.104.33.94|SERVER_ADMIN: webmaster@stolkerproperties.com|SERVER_NAME: www.stolkerproperties.com|SERVER_PORT: 80|SERVER_PROTOCOL: HTTP/1.1|SERVER_SOFTWARE: Apache/1.3.37 (Unix) PHP/5.2.1 mod_auth_passthrough/1.8 mod_log_bytes/1.2 mod_bwlimited/1.4 FrontPage/5.0.2.2635.SR1.2 mod_ssl/2.8.28 OpenSSL/0.9.7a|

Thanks!

Was July 30th one of the days that this occurred?
If not, the error log you posted is useless for this issue.

Yes, use <br> for your line breaks... Hard returns create a new line in the database and causes problems in the database.

HTH!

Get a Gold Membership
No, my problems on this topic were all on or after August 6th.

It must be the hard returns that messed it up. I hope! Keep your fingers crossed for me, and I'll try adding products in later today or tonight.

Thanks very much!

Reply to topic Page 1 of 1