The Official Website of AgoraCart and Agora.cgi
AgoraCart.com Demos Download AgoraCart User Manuals & Wiki Gold Members Forum Go Gold Now! Gold Version Memberships

AgoraCart.com

About
Features
Download
Payment Gateways
Send a Donation
Founders Club
BLOG: News & Updates

Showcases & Demos

AgoraCart Demos
Shop Live Stores

Downloads & Add-ons

Gold Version Downloads
DBwizz Database Mgr.
AgoraCart.com Store

Help & Support

User Manuals
Gold Version Users Forum
Gold Version Chat
Tech Support
Certified Agora Pros
Certified Designers
Hire a Freelancer

Gold Version Members

Member Benefits
Join Today!
Gold Members Home
Gold Version Users Forum
Gold Version Chat Rooms
Gold Version Downloads

For Store Owners

Merchant Accounts
Cool Resources
Advertise Here
"Powered by" Logos
Web Hosting Search

Misc.

Contact Us
MEET's Talking Guide
The Ancient Greek Agora

AgoraCart Free User Forums

This is the official FAQ and Cool Tips guide For the AgoraCart shopping Cart software

Official Sponsors of the AgoraCart Project:

RegisterSearchFAQLog in
Reply to topic Page 3 of 4
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page lag on submitting product add and edits

I turned off all non relevant settings in the Shipping Settings, emptied the shipping_dimensions.file and things are running very fast now. Just a thought but I think it might be a good idea to have all settings in Shipping turned off as default in a new cart. This will avoid similar problems in future.
Thanks everyone for your input and help. It's much appreciated.
Like to know if this fixed things for you Operaman and breck680228

well, i had em turned off in my client's site but the file was still written to. so it's a bug in the xml shipping script which makes perfect sense for the manager hanging on some stores.
d

v5.x public is the same as the pro with less features. removal of the xml stuff would be too much work. so even if there is no xml swtich in the manager the script is still running broken as is apparent when turned off in the pro manager.
so, this may or may not be what's causing the edit products timeout but it is a major bug.
btw, this kind of thing happens on two other features as well. if you have logging enabled and a busy site then over time the log file can get quite large slowing things down.
another is if some script is broken not allowing carts to be deleted automatically. this usually only happens if a file is uploaded in the wrong mode or you hacked the code improperly. but too many obsolete carts can slow the store down. each time there is a page transition the store checks the carts (if any for the client). so if there are thousands of obsolete carts then the program has to sort through the thousands to find, open, check and or update then close for each page transition. so you can see that it wouldn't take much here to really slow things down especially if there are many visiting the store at the same time.
d

So far I'm only testing the carts and no problems. The shipping_dimensions.file is not being written to yet. Keeping fingers crossed! Rolling Eyes I will keep you posted if anything develops.

hmm, just had a thought. i wonder if cookies are enabled (test) that the cart couldn't be uploaded to the client's browser to be updated and checked as opposed to storing on the server. seems to me offhand that this would not only eliminate some speed issues but lend to a predictable overhead since most stats i've seen display the fact that most ppl have js turned on and do accept cookies. adding a little overhead the cart file could be encrypted for security.
the pro side would also be that any lag would be server/individual client and not so much server/all clients.
on the surface sure sounds good to me.
d

speaking of timeouts. server overhead is a major issue with shared servers. runaway scripts can cause havoc on a shared server as most ppl only have their hosted server for trial and error hacking or development. so my theory as to why some are experiencing edit product screen problems is (other than the bug) is most are on tightly administered shared production servers. suppose most current server timeout settings are based on the assumption that if a program cannot complete a task in 10 seconds or less then it's considered timed out and the server kills the process. suppose the ppl having problems are on a more liberal server set up and the time out is the default 300 seconds or even trimmed to 60 seconds.
with a shorter timeout the xml file will not be hammered with entires or maybe even not make any entries at all. however, with the longer timeout the script has a chance to do it's dirty thing over and over and over until timedout. hence the millions of entires over a short period of time.
while i was working on a store that the add and edit products screen would hang i did use the browser's stop button then the back button then either refresh or back again to the product list. or use the navigation at the top to do this to add more product after stopping the browser, of course. by doing this i apprently adverted the slowing down of the store's front end by keeping the xml file small (same thing as a server with a much lower timeout).
well anyways those are some thoughts and observations on my part that may help concpetualize the issue. but then again i may be full of proverbial brown sauce Laughing
d

No brown sauce! You're right on the money.
I also used the browser's stop button then the back button then either refresh or back again to the product list. Worked for me too. Cookies are not the problem as they are being written to the browser. I did check that too.
Agree with you re- shared servers. Usually these are set tight to cover for the newbies with kiddy scripts and protect the other users. I think the main problem here though is with the xml script bug.

I'm watching the shipping_dimensions.file like a hawk on all carts now and sofar so good.

my reference to cookies was on the visitor side and not necssarily on the manager side. i was just musing about a test for visitors. if cookies enabled then place their cart on their computer when one is created instead of hosting it. it's such a small file that encryption/decryption would be be a breeze in terms of server resources, pageload speed and eliminate the majority of serverside searching through files. always thinking of ways to cut server resources and speed up services. there is a lot of client side options that can be utilized (not js) i think.

cool. until a fix can be had (i'm sure it will be announced) then the browser's stop button resolves writing to the file, it appears.

ed takes sundays off so it wont be til tomorrow at the earliest before he can see this thread. reference to this thread has been posted in the pro group so those that only visit the proforums can view what's going on and pipe up if they have any ideas/observations.
hang in there
d

A coder who takes Sundays off!

What will they think of next.

he's the big cheese, the head honcho, keeper of the code, king of the hill, top of the dog pile, top of the proverbial brown sauce flows down hill, hill Laughing , lord and master, mr agoracart, da man, big weenie Razz , master of the house of agoracart, slave driver and most importantly married to mrs agoracart. she gets 6 days of peace and quiet. we had to insist that he leave us alone for one day and get on mrs agoracart's nerves for one day a week to remind her how good she has it the rest of the week.
when the cat's away the mice will play. well, he doesn't know it but we're all sitting around in our virtual offices in our underwear with empty beer bottles and pizza boxes scttered all over. jkdkjhfmnnflhfiorpffgmgf
oops sorry, had to dig a piece of anchovie out of my keyboard.
whelp gotta run. the dancing girls left and have a mess to clean up before morning.
d

Post Operaman Product Edit now seems okay for me to 
Hello the shipping_dimensions.file did seem to be the culprit for me too! In my case just short of 2 million lines in my file. I downloaded and then edited (I use UltraEdit) and then uploaded in ASCII mode. Not sure if I followed this thread completely - are there other shipping properties that I should be changing to ensure that this doesn't happen again? Great sleuthing harvard!

Thanks,
Operaman

Post shipping_dimensions.file 
Hi Operaman

Nope, the shipping_dimensions.file is all you need to edit.
All carts of mine have been running great since taking care of that glitch.

I just uploaded an empty txt file and renamed it.
Worked for me.

Dan, just hope my wife doesn't see that Ed gets Sundays off!

Thanks!

LOL@sundays off. the only time i have off is when i lock myself in my room and watch LOTR extended. what beautiful scenery.
has anyone tried deleting the file all together? doe sit break add ing to cart, checking out adding or editing a product? it just could be that if the file is not found the script will say, Oh Well then go on to bigger and better things. i have looked for the file in other installs and it isn't there. so maybe the issue lies in the fact that someone left the file there when it wasn't supposed to be included in the distro.
d

if someone could look into this if they have time...
find the bit of code that checks and writes to the xml file. insert a check for file and if not found then dienice or something equal. then delete the file. see if that doesn't stop the issue.
i would but i don't have time. maybe in a day or 30 i'll have time lol.
d

Unfortunately all my carts are working carts and I can't risk upsetting them.
However, as soon as I have time I'll setup a cart and have a play with it to find the code that checks and writes to the xml file. If Mister Ed is watching can he maybe shed some light on it please?
Scottcrew did say that in v5.0, there isn't a setting, only in the pro 5.1 store so I suppose that that means that the script thingy is most likely not in v5 Standard.

H > 80 miles from Middle Earth

Post Still a few problems 
This problem that is described in the following post happened to me today also (v5 standard).

http://www.agoraguide.com/faq/viewtopic.php?p=20899&highlight=delete#20899 This was a nasty one to find - several core.nnnnn files were in my /store5/ directory - one that was 80 Meg (filling my server capacity). Which prevented me from logging into /manager.cgi because my server / hosting account was filled to the brim. Where do these core.nnnnn (where nnnnn = some random number) come from. If there inside my /store5/ directory they must be coming from Agora code somewhere.

Also, (and more pertinent to this thread) - I still think there is something weird going on when editing products within the manager. When ever I do a series of edits - say about 6 or 7 product edits - I get the lag problem. Then when I check the shipping_dimesions.file I find there are over a million blank lines in the file again. I have since set the "Use custom shipping settings?" parameter to "no" inside shipping settings - so we'll see if that comes up again.

Operaman - I do not have that core.nnnnn problem anywhere.
If you can give us a bit more information we may be able to help you.
Is it just in the store5 folder or in one of the sub-folders?
Please give us the location.
I've checked all my cart folders and I've not got it there. Thank goodness!

By turning off all non relevant settings in the Shipping Settings I got the script to stop writing to the
shipping_dimensions.file. I will be looking into what may cause the shipping_dimensions.file to fill up like that soon. If you do need to set some shipping settings the problem may re-appear.

Cheers!

also post the first 20 lines or so of the offending core files. i have not heard of this before that other post and now you're saying they appeared for you. the content of these files are most important. also change your password to ftp and cpanel just to be on the safe side. when logging into cpanel always check the message about the ip address that last logged in. be sure this ip address displayed matches all known autorized ip addresses. if you encounter any odd ip address report it to your hosting like yesterday. it could be someone is accessing your account from another virtual account on your server.
d

Post core.nnnnn 
I wish I had done a bit more digging but when I found the "offending" files I took them out right away - without viewing the content (basically following the "urgent" sounding advice given in red on the other post.

I will keep an eye out to see if they reappear.

good news. ed fixed the problem. be sure to update all of your store moduals. or, if highly modified then update at least the product_edit-ext.pl. that should do it. keep an eye on it for awhile and please report and more probs.
d

Any idea what the problem was and what files need replacing?
Are the new files included in the latest download?

Cheers!

was missing a chomp or a chop or something while reading in the file for edit.
current version should include the fix.
d

It was a chomp I'll bet.
Probably cause Mr Ed is a horse! Of course.

Sorry, couldn't resist.
(slapped myself, feel better now and going to bed)

there seems to be a problem updating the file for some versions. there is a conflict someplace. if when updating the report is success but the update button remains then the file has been updated. confirm by checking the file creation date in the store/protected folder. if when updating if it reports failed then it was infact not updated. a fix should be forthcoming. meanwhile hang tight if having problems and keep an eye on the file size as outlined previously.
d

Post New version of product-edit-ext.pl 
Hi - how do I get the new version of the product-edit-ext.pl code.

I just downloaded a fresh copy of Agora 5 and the update doesn't appear to be there (date on that module is 14/06/2007).

Reply to topic Page 3 of 4
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next