The Official Website of AgoraCart and Agora.cgi
AgoraCart.com Demos Download AgoraCart User Manuals & Wiki Gold Members Forum Go Gold Now! Gold Version Memberships

AgoraCart.com

About
Features
Download
Payment Gateways
Send a Donation
Founders Club
BLOG: News & Updates

Showcases & Demos

AgoraCart Demos
Shop Live Stores

Downloads & Add-ons

Gold Version Downloads
DBwizz Database Mgr.
AgoraCart.com Store

Help & Support

User Manuals
Gold Version Users Forum
Gold Version Chat
Tech Support
Certified Agora Pros
Certified Designers
Hire a Freelancer

Gold Version Members

Member Benefits
Join Today!
Gold Members Home
Gold Version Users Forum
Gold Version Chat Rooms
Gold Version Downloads

For Store Owners

Merchant Accounts
Cool Resources
Advertise Here
"Powered by" Logos
Web Hosting Search

Misc.

Contact Us
MEET's Talking Guide
The Ancient Greek Agora

AgoraCart Free User Forums

This is the official FAQ and Cool Tips guide For the AgoraCart shopping Cart software

Official Sponsors of the AgoraCart Project:

RegisterSearchFAQLog in
Reply to topic Page 4 of 4
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page lag on submitting product add and edits
hmm should have been uploaded by now. even if it was broken.
i'll look into it
d

I just downloaded the v5 today, it doesn't work and it does NOT have that file- product-edit-ext.pl , instead, it has this: product-edit-ext_lib.pl

Is it possible to provide just that file for fix? thank you!

AND I AM HAVING THIS ISSUE when editing. oy

additionally, any fix yet for the dimensions file situation yet? dislike kinda sorta maybe to not be able to use the shipping options if needed.

product-edit-ext_lib.pl is the correct file...
The store should be working fine if it was installed properly using the FTP5.cgi installer...

Get a Gold Membership
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger ICQ Number
OK, did all of the above, shut down the shipping stuff so it wouldn't write to dimensions file, etc. and guess what? after editing 5 items I got this.... (It's still trying to write to that file!)

Code:

The manager program cannot continue for the following reason:
Can't Open ./data_files/shipping_dimensions.file

Permissions are the most common cause of errors.  The following directories and files contained within need to be made read/write:
     admin_files
     data_files
     log_files
     pgpfiles (only when updating public keys)
     protected/files
     shopping_carts

CGI programs run under the following id:  uid=35079(bonniesk) gid=35085(bonniesk) groups=35085(bonniesk)
If your user id is not listed above, then you must chmod 777 those directories and files.
If your user id is listed above, then you may chmod 755 everything and try to chmod 700 the order log file.

I continue to get the message even after chmod change.

My mistake, it doesn't seem to be happening in the edit product anymore with all of the above changes, however, it happens with the delete product now. It needs to open that shipping_dimensions file

I tried to update the product_edit-ext_lib.pl file via the module upgrade in the manager and I get this... Thought you should know.

Code:

Updates Attempted:
ERROR: The file you requested was not reachable for updates. 

that file (shipping_dimensions.file) is required and needs to be in the data_files folder. ftp your store and navigate to the data_files folder. you will probably see the file is missing. just create a new one in notepad with no content and upload in ascii then try your manager functions.
d

It's not missing. In fact, before shutting down all the shipping controls, it filled up to 5 megs. I reuploaded it in ascii. It has now quit filling up. Editing a product doesn't seem to be an issue any longer.

The issue NOW, is much the same as the editing issue, but with delete. After deleting a couple of items, I get the same blank page result or the message as you see above that starts out

- The manager program cannot continue for the following reason:
Can't Open ./data_files/shipping_dimensions.file etc.

The deleted item is deleted. But the page goes blank or gives me a white page with that error, instead of giving me a page that tells me the item was deleted.

What I really don't understand is why the editing or deleting product functions would try to call on that dimensions page at all in the first place. I find that odd. Somewhere something just isn't right.

And, I suppose as it stands now, client will not be able to use any of the shipping functions as that management page has to remain shut down in order for the program to work. Has anyone found a fix for this that will allow these shipping functions to work without messing up everything? Thanks.

Have you made sure that all of the files are up to date in the "Update AgoraCart Modules" manager?

Get a Gold Membership
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger ICQ Number
you can use any shipping functions. just make sure the use non xml switch is yes. meaning you are no using xml. you cannot use the xml stuff in the free program anyways. you can use realtime api ship by weight, custom shipping methods and/or free form logic. they can be mixed and matched or used exclusively. there is no need to limit the shipping configurations as they will work.

this is the only report i've heard since the fix was added to the distro. i suppose the fix could have been made to the add/edit sections but not the delete section. when you delete a product i assume that the xml file must be addresses to remove the associated data so this could be why delete is calling the file.

until something can be done what you'll want to do is ignore the warning. just hit your back button and continue since you have confirmed that the product has indeed deleted the product from the dB.
so, when deleting products hit delete then wait 20 seconds or so. hit the stop button in your browser then hit the back button then navigate to where you want to go next.

do you forsee your client deleting products often? this is usually not the case. for most ppl products added are there for quite awhile.
d

Believe it or not, this is probably the only client in the world that will use the delete function on a daily basis. She sells one of a kind items, live koi fish. And that's how she does it. It's sold, she deletes it.

I did have the xml turned on for USPS, so I turned it off, we'll see what happens. Thanks, I'll get back to you when I am more familiar with the workings and see what is going on more clearly.

the proversion has inventory that works great. so if she can swing it please consider having her go pro. there are other enhancements that she may find useful as well.
d

Post Page lag happening again on Product Edit 
Hi Guys,

I have just upgraded to Basis 5.2 and now I find that I am facing this page lag problem again. Likely it has something to do with shipping settings. I typically sell only theatre tickets through my store and all sales are for pick up - so I don't really need to use any shipping settings.

I read some of content in this thread and it appears as though problems can occur when UPS (Non-XML) is set to "NO". I have switched that setting to "YES" now - but my web host doesn't want me to retry a produce edit until Feb 9th (when he can monitor). He just shut my site down because my product edit was consuming 75% of the server. Are all the necessary updates with regard to product-edit-ext.pl mpdule in place in version 5.2 (missing chomp)?

-Operaman

Please make sure that you review and apply all settings that are mentioned and all fixes to the shipping_dimensions.file, as necessary.

HTH!

Get a Gold Membership
Post Page lag - shipping.dimensions.file correlation? 
Hi again,

I found that my shipping.dimensions.file had almost 6 million blank lines in it (probably would have continued had my host not shut my process down). How can I ensure (through correct shipping settings or otherwise) that this will not occur again when editing a product using the form based product editor in agora (Basic version 5.2)? Confused

Thanks very much,
operaman

well you have to run the program sooner or later.
make sure your "dimensions" has a zero byte size! just upload and overwrite the file if it has any more than 0 bytes.
create a new product and category then edit the product several times if and when the page lags on transition then hit your browser's stop button the click the back button. regardless of page lag or not ftp your "dimensions" file and see if anything was added to it - just check the byte size.
note whether or not there was page lag and note whether or not the "dimensions" file changed size and report back.
you said you're running version 5.2 and still having this problem, was it a fresh install or an up grade?
d
you may want to have the hosting look into runaway script prevention. it a standard kill that will protect the server and other on it and should be in place as a matter of course. but they will not want to crank it down too tight - just kill scripts before it gets critical.

did he shut your site down and it's still down until the 9th? we can have your site up and running on another server where you wont have these heavy handed hosting problems in a day (excluding possible MySQL issues).
d

Post Page lag - shipping.dimensions.file correlation? 
Hi Dan,

Thanks for your comments. I did a 5.2 full install. I had downloaded my products data.file (from 5.0) - but had to go in and edit at least one product using the online product editor in order to get the categories to refresh on the main store page (remove the shipped product (Art, Books, etc. )categories and get them replaced with my own). When my product edit did not return - I closed the page (rather than hitting "stop" and going back). This left my process running on the server, whereup my host killed the process. The host is back up of course - but they killed my URL until we had a chat about what I was doing. A 75% chew on memory is awfully high - and I agreed. In any case they are performing some server memory upgrades from 5am to 7am eastern time - and they don't want me to "fiddle" with this product edit until after that. As I said this had happened to me last summer in version 5.0 - and admittedly I haven't done much in the way of product edits since then (I have a limited range of product offerings - mostly theatre and event tickets for our opera productions). So can't recall if problem really went away or just went away because I wasn't doing product edits any more. I have set USPS (non-XML) to "YES" in the dropdown. Not sure if that has impact on the shipping.dimensions.file. Ultimately - I have very simple shipping needs - i.e. none - as all of our tickets are "Will call" (meaning tickets are held at the door for purchasers).

with no shipping needs then be sure to diable usps and ups and shipping logic and custom shipping. make sure that you have 0 entered for the handling charge. with all shipping disabled i don't see how this problem can occur at all. in the future if you have shipping needs then only enable that which will fullfil your needs.
i understand the hosting issue. not good to have unexpected stuff happening while trying to upgrade hardware, for sure.
just keep an eye on that file to make sure it never exceeds 1k. the stores i work with maintain a 0 byte file size so there shouldn't be anything written to the file.
update this thread from time to time so we can monitor your progress.
d

hmm this could be an issue i suppose; if you're renaming the "Art" category insted of deleting it then the shipping info may have an effect. what i do is open the data.file on a new install and delete everythingthen populate the dB through the manager or an import. for newbies i suggest they keep the example products so that they have some reference then delete just prior to going live. so i'm wondering if there isn't something someplace to tell agora that product A or product B triggers the "dimensions" file thingy. not sure but a possibility, i suppose.
i think the key issue is you enabled xml then turned it off which would definately cause problems.
d

the product edit file needed some more tweaking. ready in version 5.2.001 of the file.

I was in the edits/adds/detlets. Pro version was fixed all the way, but 5.2.x was only half way due to cut and paste errors. But all fix nce you update that file

Need Low Cost Startup Option? Try NiftyPay's Pay to Play
http://www.NiftyPay.com
d

Get a Gold Membership
how about for the free version making the xml thingy on the manager shipping screen invisible to the rendered page but with a default hidden input disabling the feature in the source code. very easy to do. this would maintain the source code but not allow ppl to mistakenly enable the feature which is purposely broken in the free version anyway.
d

Reply to topic Page 4 of 4
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4