The Official Website of AgoraCart and Agora.cgi
AgoraCart.com Demos Download AgoraCart User Manuals & Wiki Gold Members Forum Go Gold Now! Gold Version Memberships

AgoraCart.com

About
Features
Download
Payment Gateways
Send a Donation
Founders Club
BLOG: News & Updates

Showcases & Demos

AgoraCart Demos
Shop Live Stores

Downloads & Add-ons

Gold Version Downloads
DBwizz Database Mgr.
AgoraCart.com Store

Help & Support

User Manuals
Gold Version Users Forum
Gold Version Chat
Tech Support
Certified Agora Pros
Certified Designers
Hire a Freelancer

Gold Version Members

Member Benefits
Join Today!
Gold Members Home
Gold Version Users Forum
Gold Version Chat Rooms
Gold Version Downloads

For Store Owners

Merchant Accounts
Cool Resources
Advertise Here
"Powered by" Logos
Web Hosting Search

Misc.

Contact Us
MEET's Talking Guide
The Ancient Greek Agora

AgoraCart Free User Forums

This is the official FAQ and Cool Tips guide For the AgoraCart shopping Cart software

Official Sponsors of the AgoraCart Project:

RegisterSearchFAQLog in
Reply to topic Page 1 of 1
Sales Tax by County
Post Sales Tax by County 
I am not currently an Agora user, but am thinking of using this for my website. Before I do, I want to make sure that it will meet my requirements. I am located in NC where there is a 4.5% state sales tax and the county sales tax varies from county to county. I want to make sure that this is something that can be easily set up before I decide to use Agora. Is it possible to set this up by just entering the county name or do I have to include zip code ranges? Also, does Agora integrate with PayPal Pro? If I already set up zip code ranges in my PayPal account, can I tie that information into my Agora shopping cart? Do I need the Gold Version for this? Thank you.

There is no PayPal Pro gateway currently available, but you can use the regular PayPal gateway.
You can set up sales tax by county, it could be done by zip code.
Haven't played with it much, but you might be able to use what you already have set up in PayPal to override the shopping cart sales tax that gets passed to PayPal.

Get a Gold Membership
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger ICQ Number
california has the same thing. base state tax +county and/or city added tax. this is best done with zipcodes. your state should have a list of taxes by city, county and zip.
these (zips +local tax) can be added through the tax logic in the manager. for your state it maybe less tedious than california. there are lots of zipcodes and tax and spenders in california and it's only going to get worse. Sad
so, yes, it can and should be done and should be kept current once done.
you can install a test store and work out the tax logic before adding to a live store. it's not hard just tedious.
d

Thank you for your replies. So, do I need the gold version for this?

No, you do not need to use the Gold version to set up the sales taxes.

Get a Gold Membership
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger ICQ Number
give the logic a whirl and if you get stuck just holler. i have a personal interest in this so i'll help out.
d

this is best done with zipcodes.

my bad! zip codes should not, ever, be used as the basis for tax! at least in california. taxes are based on city or county. zipcodes can and do span cities and possibly even counties.
probably be best to use city match first then county if no city is matched. further, as i understand it the seller is responsible for collecting purchases within the state, if you have a presence (business location, dropshipper, agent, etc.), to be shipped within the state...
if the CA purchaser requires shipment outside the state then the purchaser is required to pay the use tax.
if the ca purchaser requires shipment within CA to the purchasers address or a different location then the tax is based on the purchaser's location.
if the purchaser is located outside of CA but the shipment originates in CA or the seller has a presence in CA and the product is shipped to a CA address then tax must be collected.

as you can see the tax logic would be quite extensive and the tax tables woul dhave to be monitored and updated whenever any rate changes for any location.
d

Reply to topic Page 1 of 1