The Official Website of AgoraCart and Agora.cgi
AgoraCart.com Demos Download AgoraCart User Manuals & Wiki Gold Members Forum Go Gold Now! Gold Version Memberships

AgoraCart.com

About
Features
Download
Payment Gateways
Send a Donation
Founders Club
BLOG: News & Updates

Showcases & Demos

AgoraCart Demos
Shop Live Stores

Downloads & Add-ons

Gold Version Downloads
DBwizz Database Mgr.
AgoraCart.com Store

Help & Support

User Manuals
Gold Version Users Forum
Gold Version Chat
Tech Support
Certified Agora Pros
Certified Designers
Hire a Freelancer

Gold Version Members

Member Benefits
Join Today!
Gold Members Home
Gold Version Users Forum
Gold Version Chat Rooms
Gold Version Downloads

For Store Owners

Merchant Accounts
Cool Resources
Advertise Here
"Powered by" Logos
Web Hosting Search

Misc.

Contact Us
MEET's Talking Guide
The Ancient Greek Agora

AgoraCart Free User Forums

This is the official FAQ and Cool Tips guide For the AgoraCart shopping Cart software

Official Sponsors of the AgoraCart Project:

RegisterSearchFAQLog in
Reply to topic Page 1 of 1
using multiple categories
Post using multiple categories 
I know you can use sub-categories, I've changed the user2 to a category name and user3 to another category name. Then I added a description like gold, silver, etc. but when I go to the front page all it shows is the category name that is titled category. In the examples it showed things like books, etc ( I can't remember what else). Now we've decided to add more things to the store. Our home page has a link to Teas, Jewelry, Accessories and Books. Do I have to have 4 different stores or can they all work with sub-categories? That is my interest in sub-categories..

You could set up the main categories as
Tea
Jewelry
Accessories
Books

and then put things like
Black Tea
Green Tea
Necklaces

in the user4 field (or whichever one you are using for the 'subcategories') Then the display would look something like

Tea
-Black Tea
-Green Tea
Jewelry
-Necklaces
-Bracelets

etc.

Get a Membership and join me in the Members Only forums!
This is weird, this is what I have done. Entering the information in the box (category) I put either Tea, Jewelry, Book, etc. At the bottom I renamed user2 - Tea, user 3 - Jewelry, I didn't rename user 4 because that is the only one that puts the subcategory name in the menu. I renamed user 5 - Books --- Do I need to rename these? because I am putting the category in the category box. For one of the teas, Green Pomegranate I put Tea in the Category box and put green in user2 (tea) = nothing, I put green in user3 (before I changed it) = nothing, I put green in user4 and it listed green as a sub-category of tea, I put green in user5 = nothing. I did this with a necklace with Jewelry in the Category box. Why is user4 the only one that works?

I've gone through the few things I have in the database and changed it with the categories of:
This is copied from the Category menu.

•Books
•Jewelry
Necklace
•Tea
Green
White

Just to put something in I put a sub-category of fiction in the renamed user5(books) and nothing. ?Do I really need to have the user2-5 renamed and what is the purpose?

If I click on Category Tea it brings up all the teas, if I click on the Sub-category Green it brings up just the Green teas although because I don't have a lot of stuff in it yet until it works better, If I click on Tea I can get to the same information as the Sub-Category.

If I put a link from my Home page to Tea (or any of them) it will go to a listing of everything and not the subs. If I put the link going to the front page of the store, why have three links?

You do not have to have the user fields re-named, that's just to help you keep track... for instance, I use user5 to denote whether something is new, or discontinued, or featured, so I have "renamed" my user5 field to "Status". Just helps me remember what to fill in there, nothing more.

In order for the subcategories to display in the menu you have to use user4 for the subcategory.

You can link directly into subcategories like this

http://store.celticteas.com/agora.cgi?product=Tea&user4=Green

this will show only the green tea.

Similarly a link to
http://store.celticteas.com/agora.cgi?product=Jewelry will show all jewelry
http://store.celticteas.com/agora.cgi?product=Jewelry&user4=Necklace will show all necklaces.

other user fields work the same way. For instance, I can get your fiction book by going to
http://store.celticteas.com/agora.cgi?product=Books&user5=Fiction

Fiction does not display in the menu because the menu only uses the user4 fields.

Thank you very much Rachel, I learn a lot today. I'll have to take you out to dinner for your efforts.

I can't get sub-cats to work at all! I've tried everything stated in the instructions. Can someone please walk me through it?
Thanks!

Sure. Couple administrative things first:

1. URL to your store

2. Example of a category and subcategory that you would like to use for a specific product:
Product ID:
Category:
Subcategory:

(CAT) Capacitors:
(sub1) • Poly Film Caps
(sub2) • Ceramic
(sub3) • Electrolytic

PRODUCT ID (Starts at:) # 00037

I could also use a link to some header/footer files...I messed mine up.

All right. Well let's start here with product 00037.

Edit that product in the store Manager. In the user4 field, put

Poly_Film_Caps

And save it.

PS. You mean you didn't back up your headers and footers! *horrors*

No worries. Smile We'll get to that after this.

i had the header and footer copied to not6epad...and closed it by mistake! Wink>

Is this section set up in the main settings page?

Database Section

Select your Database library and set the product database key pad length:
Library:agora_db_lib.pl Key Pad Length:5
Do you wish to use Product Sub Categories?Yes

Select Product UserField you wish to Enter Sub Category Names in: NOTE: when entering a product into multiple sub categories, separate sub catergory names with double colons (:Smile in the edit/add product manager screens. If you have subcat names of "Books" and "Used Books", they would be entered as: "Books::Used Books" in the UserField of choice. Spaces allowed in the sub-category names. user4

Do you wish to use Count total products in Categories and Sub Categories? This will display the item counts in each category or sub category next to the title/name of the category, if using standard layouts and/or standard AgoraScript category display code. NOTE: if you get multiples in product counts equal in proportion to the number of category lists on a page, remove the extra category lists in the headers, footers and page layouts or turn this feature off. No

this just isn't working. first of all it added subs to ALL my products and tripled them up like:
resistors
resistors
resistors
Diodes
Diodes
Diodes etc. I had to manually remove the extra info. I then turned subs off and now most of the pictures on the front page are not displaying. this is super buggy at best. I sure would like a header footer file if anyone can provide.

well i'm giving up on using subs since i just spent an hour fixing everything it screwed up!

I still need replacement header/footer files...please!
Thanks.

Part of the display problems may be because of the header file you have. All of my current header and footer files have been heavily modified, but I found copies of some old 2006 unmodified header and footer files that I can send you if you PM me your email address or if you want to post it here, like someone at someplace dot com so the spammers don't easily pick it up.

Have you gotten your store where you want it to be or are you still needing some help?

Not sure what you mean by need replacement header/footers....
But you could download fresh copies of the default Agoracart files from the "download" link.
You will need either the .tgz or .tar.gz file. Then you can unzip it and have all of the default files as a backup.

Get a Gold Membership
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger ICQ Number
Reply to topic Page 1 of 1