The Official Website of AgoraCart and Agora.cgi
AgoraCart.com Demos Download AgoraCart User Manuals & Wiki Gold Members Forum Go Gold Now! Gold Version Memberships

AgoraCart.com

About
Features
Download
Payment Gateways
Send a Donation
Founders Club
BLOG: News & Updates

Showcases & Demos

AgoraCart Demos
Shop Live Stores

Downloads & Add-ons

Gold Version Downloads
DBwizz Database Mgr.
AgoraCart.com Store

Help & Support

User Manuals
Gold Version Users Forum
Gold Version Chat
Tech Support
Certified Agora Pros
Certified Designers
Hire a Freelancer

Gold Version Members

Member Benefits
Join Today!
Gold Members Home
Gold Version Users Forum
Gold Version Chat Rooms
Gold Version Downloads

For Store Owners

Merchant Accounts
Cool Resources
Advertise Here
"Powered by" Logos
Web Hosting Search

Misc.

Contact Us
MEET's Talking Guide
The Ancient Greek Agora

AgoraCart Free User Forums

This is the official FAQ and Cool Tips guide For the AgoraCart shopping Cart software

Official Sponsors of the AgoraCart Project:

RegisterSearchFAQLog in
Reply to topic Page 1 of 1
FrontPage 2K2 Compatability
Post FrontPage 2K2 Compatability 
I'm considering adding Agora Cart to my client's site. I maintain it using FrontPage 2002. I work on a local site and publish to the hosted Internet site.
The hosting service has a link to install Agora Cart to the folder of my choice and I have performed that option.
I'm not sure how to proceed now, but think I should import that folder to my local site and manage the files there. Then use my normal FP2K publish operation.
Can I get any opinions on the workability of this approach?

Here is a repost of a message posted on the agora2 forum on Yahoo by Mister Ed about using Frontpage with the cart.

Quote:
Agora2 - Message 15130
Date: Fri Jan 16, 2004 8:15 pm
Subject: Re: [AgoraCart] MS FrontPage

because it's not an HTML editor. It's a proprietary site builder with
some editing capabilities. It addes extra code in when it doesn't need
to, changes characters such as the & sign to &amp; which kills a lot of
files, and also auto completes code even when you don't want it to.
Finally it also designs sites that are not cross browser compatible...
big problem. More technical and security minded folks use Netscape or
Opera (or Mozilla based browsers) which don't support the proprietary
microsoft code it uses for MS only websites

It's also not a script editor, so it doesn't edit core web technologies
such as perl/cgi and others without messing it up substantially.

but after that, its good for beginners or okay for designing the initial
look for a site.

ME

most pro designers will shoot ya sight unseen fer even saying the f word ...lol (frontpage that is).

so, if you "publish" teh site, then it will do well fer ya in that regard. You can add in the links and such in most cases... but it's best to use html-kit for spicing in the links afterthe initial site is designed. this requires a lot more knowledge than clicking on a MS button though. Frontpage will convert some characters such as & to &amp; which will muck up your links to the store if you don't watch Frontpage carefully.

next, it like to complete code (and not all that well mind ya). So things like headers with be messed up as they are half of the completed page (other half is the footer).

so my final take on this: use frontpage until you can graduate to something better. But fer now, design with it, but tweak with a real editor like the "free" program called html-kit.

Mister Ed ... of course ... of course!!!

PS - I use Hot Dog Pro and also plain old text editors

Need Low Cost Startup Option? Try NiftyPay's Pay to Play
http://www.NiftyPay.com
Post RE: FrontPage 2K2 Compatability 
hell-o
i have successfully converted frontpage stuff for use in agoracart without any loss in layout/design.
generally you need to revert to css classes, standard image linking and removal of propritary code. i don't think there is anything in frontpage that you can't do in css and regular html coding. you just need to convert and becareful not to include anything in the shopping cart that perl my try to interpet.
here's a cart i'm helping out with. i converted the frontpage stuff myself and designed the options (though they're not completed as of yet).
http://www.mc2productions.com/ynm/agora.cgi
anyways the entire site was done in frontpage so it is possible to use it as the editor (for non cart stuff). another thing, once the site is created in frontpage, the cart layout/design integration and any cart file edits must not be done in frontpage. html, ppinc, header and footer inc's and any other files must be done in and editor that will not do any auto-correcting on import or export. toggle these features off in editors like dreamweaver.
so, go ahead and design in frontpage but don't use it for any agora files and convert the frontpage code to html/css.
regards,
dan

Post What files does Frontpage 2k2 modifify.... 
Are there certain files that get changed by Frontpage? If there is, it would be easy after an upload (Publish) to FTP up just the changed file that Agora doesn't like.

Does anyone know what those files are?

With FP it isn't a certain file, rather image paths and some other HTML. A person who has a working knowledge of HTML and tables can use FP for layout purposes, then edit to what works with Agoracart. Anyone with limited skills in those areas will face problems.

Post RE: What files does Frontpage 2k2 modifify.... 
hell-o
it can change any file and is not to be trusted not to corrupt coding or add stuff into html that will break the cart. and you should not use to upload and download from your site.
it's not just agoracart it will break any perl/cgi file.
i took fp developed pages and converted them in a non fp program.
so, for files outside of the cart use whatever you want (watch the forms and the links for bad coding leading into the cart).
regards,
dan

Reply to topic Page 1 of 1