The Official Website of AgoraCart and Agora.cgi
AgoraCart.com Demos Download AgoraCart User Manuals & Wiki Gold Members Forum Go Gold Now! Gold Version Memberships

AgoraCart.com

About
Features
Download
Payment Gateways
Send a Donation
Founders Club
BLOG: News & Updates

Showcases & Demos

AgoraCart Demos
Shop Live Stores

Downloads & Add-ons

Gold Version Downloads
DBwizz Database Mgr.
AgoraCart.com Store

Help & Support

User Manuals
Gold Version Users Forum
Gold Version Chat
Tech Support
Certified Agora Pros
Certified Designers
Hire a Freelancer

Gold Version Members

Member Benefits
Join Today!
Gold Members Home
Gold Version Users Forum
Gold Version Chat Rooms
Gold Version Downloads

For Store Owners

Merchant Accounts
Cool Resources
Advertise Here
"Powered by" Logos
Web Hosting Search

Misc.

Contact Us
MEET's Talking Guide
The Ancient Greek Agora

AgoraCart Free User Forums

This is the official FAQ and Cool Tips guide For the AgoraCart shopping Cart software

Official Sponsors of the AgoraCart Project:

RegisterSearchFAQLog in
Reply to topic Page 1 of 1
ver. 4.0K-4b Standard ?? do I need to upgrade??
Post ver. 4.0K-4b Standard ?? do I need to upgrade?? 
Hi:
Am in the process of upgrading a static cart using static html to a shop using a db. I note that the cpanel that my webhoster is using is at version ver. 4.0K-4b Standard. The checkout is working well at this version.

I'd like to know do I need to upgrade to a newer version, if so, which one?
And what will break? What do I need to do ...
Scared of this as it is almost a year since I got the checkout working and can hardly remember.

cheers
Liz

I would suggest just installing a fresh copy of the new version, 5.0.
Then, set up the manager and just get familiar with it, at first...
You can slowly work with the new version, learning all of it's capabilities, etc... before jumping headlong into it and having problems with messing up things between the 2 stores.
I never use the upgrader, I just transfer files I need or rebuild them.

HTH!

Get a Gold Membership
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger ICQ Number
version 5.0.x = High tech roller coaster (wahoo!)

However, the updates are substantial, so an straight across upgrade is not for the faint of heart. Exprienced users can complete it fairly quickly, but an occasional user might want to do as Bonnie suggested: try it out as a second store and work on it a bit at a time, as time allows. v5 is easier, but converting old v4 layouts takes study of v5 versions against v4 copies one might be using, then makes the appropriate migration changes.

Mister Ed ... of course ... of course
Chief Propeller Head

Need Low Cost Startup Option? Try NiftyPay's Pay to Play
http://www.NiftyPay.com
you can do it. set up a second store and develop. when things are right then just make the new version live by changing store folder names and urls in the store managers. takes about 10 minutes to switch.
why are you going to dB? are there some features you need to employ? like inventory or more order log features? the pro version is like a trip to space over 5.x free. especially with the booster pack. if you want to see the lifetime and boosterpack store, out of the box, then pm me and i'll send you some links and access so you can look it over. maybe get some ideas as how to enhance your store for more sales and flexability.
d

Post Why going to db? you ask ... 
Hi:
I'm moving to a db becos my client wants to be able to 'do' her own inventory - add to it and delete as she wishes. Seems sensible to me to get her to do thru the Product Add/edit rather getting her to learn HTML and editing the static pages ...

Is this correct logic?

I remember that my main problems doing the static html store was getting the templates in teh shopping cart to display the way I wanted. I was thinking it would be nice to avoid doing this again - hence was thinking about upgrading.

I'm very comfortable with templates and css so am thinking that v5 might be in the long run easier for me than to just switch the static v40K-4b to a db store.

How much is the pro version for V5?
THere is a V5 free, isn't there?

I was figuring when I got my head around the process and how it works, I would 'buy' in time from one of you (what is it you are called .... uh, let's see ... 'e-commerce engineers') when ready to implement rather than just using my one-blade newbie skills Laughing See my previous post from 3 mins ago ...)
Liz

well the 1a ppinc is much easier than any of the ppinc files with "myans" in it. if your design can be 1 across then anyone can edit that file.

yup. that's what i thought. the need for more advanced features requiring a dB. well inventory is a pro feature. uh, just had a thought. you being from oz and all do you mean inventory as in adding and removing products or inventory as in how many you have in stock? Shocked

again being from oz you probably don't have any issues with realtime shipping, right? it's flat rate or some sort of logic? i'm not too sure that you'll benefit from upgrading the free version so you don't have to change much in the store besides adding products to the dB. however, if you need some of the cool addons or default features the pro version offers then 55 greenbacks and a learning curve will be in order. the css is a challange and finding some files like the headers and footers requires some brain remapping.

if you want to see what the pro version is all about pm me. i have a default setup i can grant you access to.

d

Post To clarify ... inventory ... 1 across ... 
Gidday Mate ...
What do you mean by the 1a ppinc, the 1 across and the myans? I'm not sure I understand. I think you are saying something about whether my shop will present 1, or 2 products across the page. Well, I'd like to present 2 products across the page.

Inventory to me is adding/editing/removing products and also looking at the stock levels associated.

The site can be seen (in all it's static html glory) at www.pelage.co.nz (see shopping)

It sells offshore. It is flat rate shipping.

I was thinking that when I'm ready to get stuck in, I would buy in time/support from one of you experts/e-commerce engineers/gods Laughing

So do I upgrade? Do I upgrade to v5 free, or v5 PRO (and pay my $55USD). And, can you use the V5 Pro on other sites or is it $55USD each?

Oh ... and I'm a New Zealander. 'downunder'. Slightly crazy as all the blood stays in my brain becos I'm upside down all the time ... Confused

cheers
Liz

ppinc is short for productPage.inc, it is reference to the files in the 'html/html-templates' directory that control the layout of the product pages.
So, when some refers to 1a, 2a, 4a, search2, etc... They are refering to the productPage.inc file with various extensions. IE: productPage-1a.inc, productPage-search2.inc, etc...
So, if you want to present you products 2 across, just use the default productPage.inc file, it is the same as the 2a file, BTW...
If you want to view your page with the other ppinc files, to see what they are like, review the thread on how to do that, at:
http://www.agoraguide.com/faq/viewtopic.php?t=2582
There's another thread that explains each of the ppinc files a bit:
http://www.agoraguide.com/faq/viewtopic.php?t=27

adding/editing/removing products is standard with all versions of AgoraCart.
Stock Levels are managed in version 5, with a Premier Membership and Booster Pack.
It's available for v4, too, but only requires a basic membership to get it.
However, the v5 inventory control is much better and really works to prevent overselling of products.

V5 Pro, is kinda per site. See the Pro Version requires that you input your pro member login info in the store's password settings and if you don't want your clients having access to that info on their site, then you need to have separate pro member account for each of them.

HTH!

Get a Gold Membership
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger ICQ Number
Reply to topic Page 1 of 1