The Official Website of AgoraCart and Agora.cgi
AgoraCart.com Demos Download AgoraCart User Manuals & Wiki Gold Members Forum Go Gold Now! Gold Version Memberships

AgoraCart.com

About
Features
Download
Payment Gateways
Send a Donation
Founders Club
BLOG: News & Updates

Showcases & Demos

AgoraCart Demos
Shop Live Stores

Downloads & Add-ons

Gold Version Downloads
DBwizz Database Mgr.
AgoraCart.com Store

Help & Support

User Manuals
Gold Version Users Forum
Gold Version Chat
Tech Support
Certified Agora Pros
Certified Designers
Hire a Freelancer

Gold Version Members

Member Benefits
Join Today!
Gold Members Home
Gold Version Users Forum
Gold Version Chat Rooms
Gold Version Downloads

For Store Owners

Merchant Accounts
Cool Resources
Advertise Here
"Powered by" Logos
Web Hosting Search

Misc.

Contact Us
MEET's Talking Guide
The Ancient Greek Agora

AgoraCart Free User Forums

This is the official FAQ and Cool Tips guide For the AgoraCart shopping Cart software

Official Sponsors of the AgoraCart Project:

RegisterSearchFAQLog in
Reply to topic Page 1 of 1
Owners do not match!
Post Owners do not match! 
O.K. I sc@#wed the pooch... I have a successful install from 2004 of AgoraCart 4.? that has been up and running for quite some time (http://www.shopthecatstore.com/cgi-bin/store/agora.cgi); however, it is currently sitting unused. Now I am in the process of setting up a new store on the same private server and have been fighting with a manual install of AgoraCart 5.0. I did have the store and manager up and running but with a few errors that I couldn't seem to get corrected. I couldn't finalize an order as the confirm order step would only go to https://secure.server???/~username/store5/agora,cgi??? and not to the secure server that I had designated in the store manager (setup). I couldn't figure out why. The install was done manually with tar -zxvf (even tried tar -zxvpf like in the FTP5.cgi script) in the cgi-bin (as the Apache server runs under one user id) and ran o.k. with a wild card ssl cert (the old store is on the same server). I did see access errors for .pl files and tried different permissions until I decided to just open it up wide with chmod 777. When I did that I got the "Owners do not match!" error. Start again... removed the store5 directory, untarred, and gcc'd the wrappers... now I constantly get the "Owners do not match!" error and I have not changed any permissions. There are no errors in the Apache error_log pertaining to the agora cart problem.

I don't expect you to tell me what I could have done to my server, but why is it that this account has decided to have trouble since changing the permissions? I built and manage the server. Slackware 10.0, Apache 1.3.31, mod_ssl, gcc 3.3.4. I am not a Linux newbie but not yet a guru. I have tried fully deleting the user and recreating the account and directories but this still occurs. I have even tried to do the install with the older account (keeping the two stores in separate directories) and get the same. If I access the agora.cgi file before gcc'ing the wrapper, I get the program but incomplete with no images (or showing of dead image links). (NOTE: I need to add a "0" to the "exit()" line oat lines 50 and 60 to create the wrappers.) Has the chmod 777 prompted the AgoraCart 5 program to create a security file to stop it's use? Have I missed something along the way? I would like to get this store up and running with a current version of AgoraCart. If you suspect a permissions error, is there a listing of permissions for directories and files for AgoraCart 5? I seem to only be able to find for AgoraCart 4.

Store URL w/ wrappers: http://www.starlingsjewelry.com/cgi-bin/store5/agora.cgi
Store URL w/o wrappers: http://www.starlingsjewelry.com/cgi-bin/store/agora.cgi

You need to go through the managers and set up all of them...
Especially the PAYMENT GATEWAY manager for the Offline gateway...

Of course you probably could have used the FTP5.cgi installer file... Much easier to use than anything else...

Get a Gold Membership
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger ICQ Number
I cannot get the manager.cgi file to open through the browser since things have gone awry. I was able to before chmod 777... And I cannot use the FTP5.cgi script because I am using Apache 1.3 without mod_proxy.so (that would allow running each account under separate user id's) and Apache is running through a single defined user (i.e. - Apache, nobody,...). (http://www.starlingsjewelry.com/cgi-bin/FTP5.cgi - it hangs and does not do the tar -xzvpf installation) So, again, since I previously decided to chmod 777 the entire store5 directory on a different installation, I get the "Owners do not match!" error message. ...even with installing the cart under a different user. That is why I am wondering if AgoraCart has created a block (file) of some sort because chmod 777 is a severe security risk.

See here http://www.starlingsjewelry.com/cgi-bin/store5/protected/manager.cgi

Also, thank you all for your advise and help, in advance...

It is NEVER, EVER suggested to chmod to 777... This creates a HUGE security risk to the store.
I am thinking that your server is substandad for running AgoraCart...
You should consider procuring web hosting that is adequate to run AgoraCart without causing security risks because of the server setup...

Here is a list of requirements for running AgoraCart:
Cart Requirements:
* Unix, FreeBSD, OpenBSD or a Linux based hosting account (or server).
* Perl 5.6.x or higher. (most servers will satisfy this requirement)
* This Perl Module must be installed on your server for Version 5.0.x: LWP::Simple (most servers will have this installed)
* This Perl Module must be installed for Pro Version of the cart (Version 5.1.x): LWP::UserAgent (most servers will have this installed)
* FTP or online file manager access with the ability to set permissions on files.
* Run cgi scripts under your own user ID (most servers offer this now) AND/OR the ability to install the wrappers (yourself by SSH2 or by your server admin at your request).

HTH!

Get a Gold Membership
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger ICQ Number
You know, I've read through both of your replies and I'll be darned if I cannot find answers to the questions I posted. I did, however, find that you took the opportunity to insult my technical ability:

scottcrew wrote:
It is NEVER, EVER suggested to chmod to 777... This creates a HUGE security risk to the store.
I am thinking that your server is substandad for running AgoraCart...

Thanks for calling my nice stable server "substandard." And, yeah... I'm not an idiot and I know that opening the permissions (as such) is unacceptable when running an online store. I did it to test and see if I was having a permissions problem (maybe I wasn't clear enough about this previously). Also, about, "NEVER, EVER suggested...":

Quote:
This brings up another good point... I have seen a lot of people say just to set everything to 777 to get it working. That is fine in some cases, just make sure that you go back and then adjust the permissions back down and test it after each file to get the permissions as low as you can with the cart still functioning properly. (From: http://www.agoracart.com/agorawiki/index.php?title=Installation_Troubleshooting)

hmmm... Embarassed

Also, nice dig with reminding me of the system requirements:

scottcrew wrote:
Here is a list of requirements for running AgoraCart:
Cart Requirements:
* Unix, FreeBSD, OpenBSD or a Linux based hosting account (or server).
* Perl 5.6.x or higher. (most servers will satisfy this requirement)
* This Perl Module must be installed on your server for Version 5.0.x: LWP::Simple (most servers will have this installed)
* This Perl Module must be installed for Pro Version of the cart (Version 5.1.x): LWP::UserAgent (most servers will have this installed)
* FTP or online file manager access with the ability to set permissions on files.
* Run cgi scripts under your own user ID (most servers offer this now) AND/OR the ability to install the wrappers (yourself by SSH2 or by your server admin at your request).

Yeah... again, not an idiot... Evil or Very Mad I have my server setup to allow cgi scripts under user accounts, I just do not have an instance of Apache running under individual accounts and, considering that there are wrappers, this is not fully necessary.

So, with that said, how's about we play nice?

To reiterate: I had AgoraCart and the manager.cgi up and running to the point of the order confirmation. Then I did the chmod 777 thing and it has replied in the browser "Owners do not match!" (Even after re-installation under the same account AND installation on a separate account.) My questions, again, were:

Quote:
...why is it that this account has decided to have trouble since changing the permissions? ... Has the chmod 777 prompted the AgoraCart 5 program to create a security file to stop it's use? Have I missed something along the way? (O.K. so you did reply by telling me that I had to "...go through the managers and set up all of them...") If you suspect a permissions error, is there a listing of permissions for directories and files for AgoraCart 5?

Finally, I don't like belittling people; especially ones that take time to voluntarily support others. I am, however, a professional technician and know that being short or even slightly offensive to others (newbies or not) is unnecessary. Wasn't there something in the Christian Bible about that... some type of rule... purple, silver, or golden?

Yeah... and, uh... God Bless...

I'm sorry... It's just I have never had a problem with installing the cart to other standard web hosts...
I've seen a lot of people try to install the cart on a server that runs under "nobody" but they all seem to have major problems, let alone having to jeopardize the security of the store with having to set permissions to 777... so that throws a huge red flag when I see that...

Have you went back and changed back the permissions?
The file permissions specs can be found at:
http://www.agoracart.com/agorawiki/index.php?title=AgoraCart_File_Structure%2C_File_Locations_%26_Permissions

Going back to the original post in this thread, you mentioned:
Quote:
I couldn't finalize an order as the confirm order step would only go to https://secure.server???/~username/store5/agora,cgi??? and not to the secure server that I had designated in the store manager (setup).

Was this the only problem you were having? or were there others?
The URL you had mentioned is in the Payment Gateway Settings for the Offline Gateway and is an evidence of that manager not being set up...
It is something that is also present in v4.x.

If you are still running into problems accessing the manager or the store, the installation may have gotten corrupted somewhere along the way.
I would suggest deleting that installation of the store and trying again.
Also, does the server require that the cgi scripts be installed to the cgi-bin? If not, try installing outside of the cgi-bin...

HTH!

Get a Gold Membership
you can't run agoracart under "nobody" you'll need wrappers to do so.
i didn't notice which perl version you're using... which version?
chmod folders to 777 is not an issue but if possible 755 is perferable.
you may want to use the mod_proxy.so as this may afford an extra level of security as well as running your scripts under your own id.
if you install into the cgi-bin then and you want to deliver images from the store's subfolder(s) then you must enable picserve or the images wont render. you must also move your css files outside of the cgi-bin or the page will look really bad.
remember that the nature of the cgi-bin is html, images and css files are not rendered. it's generally a scripts only dedicated folder with additional security measures employed.

it sounds to me like the store was working just fine but you failed to accomodate the neccessary configs for cgi-bin use.
d

Thank you both for your time and efforts. I have found that my issue lied on my own foolishness fortified by panic. The issue was with the permissions on the wrapper and not the rest of the store directory. After reviewing every step with the installation with careful attention, I found that I did not chmod a+s the wrappers. Thank you for the tips. I will work on those as well.

You are both doing something great by volunteering your time and I appreciate you. Thank you, again.

that bites. well at least you found the answer and that's good.
happy customizing.
d
ps you're more than welcome.
nobody here thinks anybody is an idiot. well that's not entirely true; most ppl think i'm an idiot. most responses are made as simple as possible for those with lesser abilities to follow along. too, we have no way of knowing the level of expertise of any given poster so common responses, especially with things like file permissions, are just hammered out then on to the next post.
good luck.

Reply to topic Page 1 of 1