The Official Website of AgoraCart and Agora.cgi
AgoraCart.com Demos Download AgoraCart User Manuals & Wiki Gold Members Forum Go Gold Now! Gold Version Memberships

AgoraCart.com

About
Features
Download
Payment Gateways
Send a Donation
Founders Club
BLOG: News & Updates

Showcases & Demos

AgoraCart Demos
Shop Live Stores

Downloads & Add-ons

Gold Version Downloads
DBwizz Database Mgr.
AgoraCart.com Store

Help & Support

User Manuals
Gold Version Users Forum
Gold Version Chat
Tech Support
Certified Agora Pros
Certified Designers
Hire a Freelancer

Gold Version Members

Member Benefits
Join Today!
Gold Members Home
Gold Version Users Forum
Gold Version Chat Rooms
Gold Version Downloads

For Store Owners

Merchant Accounts
Cool Resources
Advertise Here
"Powered by" Logos
Web Hosting Search

Misc.

Contact Us
MEET's Talking Guide
The Ancient Greek Agora

AgoraCart Free User Forums

This is the official FAQ and Cool Tips guide For the AgoraCart shopping Cart software

Official Sponsors of the AgoraCart Project:

RegisterSearchFAQLog in
Reply to topic Page 1 of 1
I just installed the Cart, Now What??
Post I just installed the Cart, Now What?? 
Exclamation Do NOT start customizing the layout, look or the products, yet... Exclamation

The first thing to do after installing the cart is to get the default cart working all the way thru the checkout process using the Offline gateway.

Getting the default cart working *first* will save you headaches down the road.
In the process, you learn to know how the cart functions which will be invaluable when you begin your customizations.

HTH!

Get a Gold Membership
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger ICQ Number
i went to the download page but i dont know which of the many files there,i need to download,i am using windows xp,and i go winzip,can you help me on which one of them i need to download,or maybe send me the link to the file itself,

thank you

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number
Edited: 06/28/2007 - Instructions in this post are for version 4.x - Current Version is version 5

To install, you'll want the agoracgi.tgz and installtgz.cgi files.
Upload the installtgz.cgi file in ASCII mode to the server and chmod to 755.
Upload the agoracgi.tgz file in binary mode to the server and chmod to 755.
Open your browser and type in the URL to the installtgz.cgi file.
AgoraCart should then install to the server.

To use the AgoraCart on your local computer for editing files, you can just unzip using winzip to whatever location you want. If you want to develop the site completely on your local computer, you will need perl installed on your computer. Something like indigoperl will work.

HTH!

Last edited by scottcrew on Thu Jun 28, 07 6:23 am; edited 1 time in total

Get a Gold Membership
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger ICQ Number
wow that sounds so confusing! WHERE do I get the files to download and where do I install everything?

Things have changed a little bit... The instructions in this sticky were for v4.x, the current version is v5. It is still suggested to set up the default store before doing any customizations, though.

Click on the "download" link on the left navigation bar of this page and get the FTP5 files, there are, also, links to the install guide there, too.

HTH!

Get a Gold Membership
One more thing... If you're getting a blank white page, you've probably forgotten to do the first steps mentioned on the "SUCCESS" page when you installed the cart... So, for your convenience, here's a refresher of what that screen may have looked like:

HTH!

Get a Gold Membership
Post New and not sure what I am doing. 
Hi!

I'm new to the forum and agora cart. I have version 4k. I have done the first steps for the agoracart. I'm not sure what I should do next. I want to be able to integrate the cart with my website which is www.creativecollectiblesandmore.com. I already have a sort of catalog of my own on there. Thing is I am not sure how to go about doing that. I am not sure what is the right thing to do in each of the different categories. I'm not sure what to do when it comes to the free form logic with the open for business thing. If someone could explain I would appreciate it. Also do I need to upload all the pictures that are on my website as I have alot and I don't have them listed with product numbers. I would appreciate any help I could get. Also my website host is host monster and they offer the 4k version. If I switch to the 5k version would there be an extra charge to use that one?

Thanks
Helene

Install v5... Just uninstall the v4 store you just installed and grab the installer file for v5 from the "Download" link on the upper left of this page.

v5.0 is free.

HTH!

Get a Gold Membership
Edited: 06/28/2007 - Instructions in this post are for version 4.x - Current Version is version 5

To install, you'll want the agoracgi.tgz and installtgz.cgi files.
Upload the installtgz.cgi file in ASCII mode to the server and chmod to 755.
Upload the agoracgi.tgz file in binary mode to the server and chmod to 755.
Open your browser and type in the URL to the installtgz.cgi file.
AgoraCart should then install to the server.

To use the AgoraCart on your local computer for editing files, you can just unzip using winzip to whatever location you want. If you want to develop the site completely on your local computer, you will need perl installed on your computer. Something like indigoperl will work.

HTH!

where are you getting these installtgz.cgi and agoracgi.tgz files? i downloaded the cart files available and there is no installtgz.cgi file whatsoever. there is an agora.cgi but no such install anywhere in the download.

please help with this as it entirely confusing

For current version there is just the installer file, FTP5.cgi....

Get a Gold Membership
ok i have it installed i think. i am a total newbie! i have access to the store manager and i have gone through the tweaking of it. i need to know how to see the store? i cant figure out how to publish it and i am confused.

does the cart produce the store pages for you or do i have to create the pages. i am in need of serious help here. i had to put everything into my cgi bin to gain access to the store manager. i did move the CSS file to my public_html folder where my index.htm is located.

do i need to create a template for my site...I have no perl experience and a basic/intermediate knowledge of html. also i use frontpage 2000 to create site pages.

The store is automatically published for you...
To view the store, you need to put in the browser a URL that is related to the location of your store manager. (Also, in the manager, there is a tab at the top, left to "View Your Store".)
If your manager URL looks like:
http://www.mydomain.com/cgi-bin/store52/protected/manager.cgi
Then the store is located at:
http://www.mydomain.com/cgi-bin/store52/agora.cgi

Who is your web host?

Do NOT use FrontPage to publish anything to the store, it will break the files.
You will need to use a plain html editor like DzSoft's WebPad or a plain text editor like Edit Pad Lite.

You don't necessarily have to create your own template if you happen to like one of the default templates included with the store.

HTH!

Get a Gold Membership

this is my store: http://www.mikelcompany.com/cgi-bin/store52/agora.cgi

i can add items to my cart, view my cart but, my cart doesn't go all the way through check out. actually when you click check out it brings an error page.

i would be a good candidate for paying for site tweaking but i really want to learn this.

btw i really appreciate all your help.

i got my images to appear!!! sorry i got excited lol.

You still need to finish setting up the settings for the Payment Gateway in the manager.
Also, make sure you have set up the other important managers like Sipping Settings and Sales Tax Settings...

Get a Gold Membership
ok so once i finish the gateway settings it should work? i did set the shipping and taxes. i will get on that gateway setting. thanks a ton!!!!!!

Yep, need to fix up those SSL URL settings...

Get a Gold Membership
I dont know what is going on, Im so confused. I use hostmonster, and it says I have and exzizting agora cart to modify, but it is the old 4.0 version. I downloaded the 5 version but it is on my computer, and not on my host server. Like I said I am so confused

Hostmonster is not an adequate web host to run AgoraCart v5.2 on.
I've already had a few clients have a lot of trouble with them.
You should consider switching to a web host that is more compatible and suited for ecommerce.

I have some excellent web hosts listed at:
http://resources.scottcrew.com

BTW,
If you are wanting to try to install on Hostmonster, you need to install a fresh copy of the v5.2 installer file.
There is no upgrader available to go from v4 to v5.2...

HTH!

Get a Gold Membership
Post HOW DO I GET THE CART IN MY WEBSITE? 
Can somebody please tell me how to add the shopping cart to my website?

Once the shopping cart is installed, it is already part of your website, you just need to create links on the rest of your site to point to the 'store52/agora.cgi' file. (store52 is the default install location of the current version, v5.2)

Get a Gold Membership
Post Installed 
You got me at installed.... Can somebody please tell me how to install it?

Please use the "Download" link on this page to get the installer file and install instructions...

Get a Gold Membership

I'm new to the forum and agora cart. I have done the first steps for the agoracart. I'm not sure what I should do next.
Can you help me to this problem ?

anchor

Have you accessed the manager and set things up in there?

Get a Gold Membership
Thanks @scottcrew for sharing the valuable advices. These will help me a lot. Smile I just joined here in this awesome forum and pretty excited now..
Cheers!

Reply to topic Page 1 of 1