The Official Website of AgoraCart and Agora.cgi
AgoraCart.com Demos Download AgoraCart User Manuals & Wiki Gold Members Forum Go Gold Now! Gold Version Memberships

AgoraCart.com

About
Features
Download
Payment Gateways
Send a Donation
Founders Club
BLOG: News & Updates

Showcases & Demos

AgoraCart Demos
Shop Live Stores

Downloads & Add-ons

Gold Version Downloads
DBwizz Database Mgr.
AgoraCart.com Store

Help & Support

User Manuals
Gold Version Users Forum
Gold Version Chat
Tech Support
Certified Agora Pros
Certified Designers
Hire a Freelancer

Gold Version Members

Member Benefits
Join Today!
Gold Members Home
Gold Version Users Forum
Gold Version Chat Rooms
Gold Version Downloads

For Store Owners

Merchant Accounts
Cool Resources
Advertise Here
"Powered by" Logos
Web Hosting Search

Misc.

Contact Us
MEET's Talking Guide
The Ancient Greek Agora

AgoraCart Free User Forums

This is the official FAQ and Cool Tips guide For the AgoraCart shopping Cart software

Official Sponsors of the AgoraCart Project:

RegisterSearchFAQLog in
Reply to topic Page 1 of 1
my store installing on a new domain
Post my store installing on a new domain 
Well : unfortanely my (own)webhost does not have ssl to do secure business

So i'll must go to a other domain ( webhost)

Suppose the shop is 100 % good working a the current site ( not for the ssl part ofcourse)
Q: what new reinstallations procedures to follow?

Note: the agora shop is automatically configured via teh c-panel: nly one click: fantastic

The shop consist of 2 directories:
- imagesshop ( for shopconstructing)
- shopzs ( agora main program and productimages)

1 There is a database backup made=> i can import this
2: configuration on the new server ??
3: how about links?

Well i upload the 2 directories to the domain and then?

doumawis Smile

you don't need the SSL if you're using a remote merchant service to collect confidential information and complete transactions. however, i offer a shared ssl at cartsolutions.net and you can have a dozen websites there! Laughing
anyway, you don't need it. you're going to use paypal only, right? if you get hooked up with authorize.net then it would be a good idea to have ssl to avoid warnings. warnings bother ppl sometimes.
regards,
dan

Well i try to start-up the shop first with a inp pay pal module (this is the remote merchant account i think)

Later we will look at real time creditcard business for Europe and other aerea's like the US region=> it depens on the costs and how about the customer react on it for selling parts.

You offer a shared ssl at cartsolutions.net and i can make there more than one shop

Note: Suppose you make a cloonshop of the shop => how about the chance(probability) to be found by a searching engine?

Well i use metatags for to be found, so i can as many tags added in the head=> what is than the advantage of a cloneshop?

The problem is that the old shop is via a dutch webhosting and shared ssl cost a 2 $ /month

Q: so for the inp module no necessary shared ssl ?

Doumawis Smile

No, SSL is not required if you are only using the PayPalIPN gateway.

HTH!

Get a Gold Membership
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger ICQ Number
if you have a mirror site (clone) in the same language your ranking will suffer. as soon as they find out you're gonna be penalized. you could have a site in english and another in another language without penalty (i think). maybe best to have on different servers (ip).
anyway, becareful of the tactics you employ so you don't get blacklisted.
regards,
dan

sell the same products under a different name : a monopolistic strategy
( the customers think they have a choice)

i can only sell the same products with a different shopname( probably with a different owner is the best) : this can not be forbidden seems to me

so i can make a clone shop with a different name

I put a Flash movie on the top of the store : StreetPowerNL

like our friends in Sweden http://www.streetpower.se/catalog/

But their shop is based on a other shoppingcart

Doumawis Smile

the problem isn't a guy with a bunch of stores. the problem is multiple sites with the same content. or sites with no content linking to other sites to boost importance. i had google nail a guy who was stealing agoracart traffic with half a dozen websites leading to one or two to boost importance. when you went to google and typed in agoracart he came up flooding the first page and interspersed thoughout 20 pages but had no links or any data or any business with agoracart. as a matter of fact he was promoting another cart. i can no longer find any of his sites in google. Wink
you can have a thousand sites. no one is saying any different. however, if one violates certain search engine rules then they'll dop the sites like a hot rock. especially if the sites all originate from the same server (ip) which will likely get the entire ip block banned as well.
regards,
dan

you can have a thousand sites. no one is saying any different. however, if one violates certain search engine rules then they'll dop the sites like a hot rock.

Well th shop of my brother has a certain exerpertise: he nows where he is talking about
So 999 shops acts as a storewindow

Interesting is the chance to be found by a searching engine when you search for a particulair product if you have 1000 shops
Is there a greater chance that customer shops with me?
( so it seems to be tricky to redirected to the original store )

Well in that case i am am owner of 1000 shops, but the ZeroSpec shop has built up a reputation , so...

This discussion is all about how to get as much customers to your store
( you told me before that the dynamic agoracart dificult can be found by a search engine?

Doumawis Smile

I think it is necessary to export my shop( shopzs) to the server of my brother( where his current internetshop exists)
He wants to stay at the moment on his current server, because he has a domain there and his webmaster likes the webhost

It is no problem to get there a shared ssl

Well than i must export the shop to there and how to do?
What steps to take for a easy export?

Doumawis Smile

You can download it all to your local computer and then re-upload to your brother's server.
Make sure that you check the permissions after uploading. You can see what the permissions should be at:
http://www.agoracart.com/help/wherestuff.html

HTH!

Get a Gold Membership
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger ICQ Number

Quote:
Most advise to tarball it.

What means this : tarball it ?

Quote:

The shop consist of 2 directories:
- imagesshop ( for shopconstructing)
- shopzs ( agora main program and productimages)

How about the database products it is still on the old server or create Agora a back up in the directory data files?

Note: there not yet a lifetime mebership confirmation : be patient?

doumawis Smile

just do a web install of the same version. then upload customized store files over writing the originals. then log into the manager and set up for that domain. then upload all the images and non default storefiles. edit any links that are not relative path and image links too. that should be it.
regards,
dan

i hope the server has a quick agora install?
it sounds ( on paper?) reasonable
Does dreamweaver not have some features for easy exporting?

Well i takes much time to finish te shop ( well i like it)
doumawis Smile

don't do a cpanel install. upload the install file and the tgz and do a web install. this way you're assured of the same version and some hosting companies customize the scripts. furthermore, if you do a cpanel install then rename the store folder there is a possibility of the files reverting to default settings. cpanel installs can be a real pain.
open up your current agora.cgi file and see which version is at the top. then install that version on the server.
regards,
dan

Never use Dreamweaver for any kind of FTP functions or exporting.
Files can become corrupted or changed by Dreamweaver, which you don't want it to do.

HTH!

Get a Gold Membership
Exclamation o my god : i made the whole site with dreamweaver and upload and download from the server with DW=> has this consequenses?

What ftp program do you recommand than?

doumawis Smile

Luckily is all written down so i can study it
Takes lots of more time to finish the final shop and perhaps never when i don't become a lifetime member : haha ( well it was nice to havespoken to you, there)
How a easy installation of the current shop if a compare with the new shop
( a very big difference)

Doumawis Smile

Well, you're lucky... It is just not a suggested thing to do. It is best to use a "real" FTP program.
Giving one program too much control is a bit scary for me... Shocked
but if it is working, you may be okay...

Get a Gold Membership
As you know how much i upload with dreamweaver : great number of uploads to get the shop : and it seems to be corrct working
Dreamweaver has a "synchronise function" and this works fantastic.
Dreamweaver is the industry-leading software for serious internet application developement( i think)
I use DW MX and maybe is DW mx 2004 more secure ?
doumawis Smile

I'm a "die-hard" html coder, so I'm a bit predjudice about these "do it all for me" pieces of software... I think it dumbs down people...
Know how to code helps to be able to correct your errors and make things better. All these WYSIWYG editors add a lot of unnecessary formatting code which eats up bandwidth on the server....

Get a Gold Membership
To use dreamweaver to set up a site can be time-saving, but for problem solving you do need a good knowledge of the html language

Automating dull html work can be done in DW: it is the combination of good html knowledge togheter with DW

Don't forget the power of software algorihtmes: reliable( for repeating tasks) and never tired

doumawis Smile

don't do a cpanel install. upload the install file and the tgz and do a web install. this way you're assured of the same version and some hosting companies customize the scripts.

On the server there is a existing shop in de public_html what uses index.html

So i do a webinstall of Agora ( possible via dreamweaver ?) in the directory : shopzs
Note: because the index.html of the agoracart is in the shopzs folder there is no conflict with the existing index.html

It possible to use than both shops ( but the old shop serves only as reference), but the searchengines must be able now to find the new shop

So customers must come now on the new shop and not anymore on the old shop=> i must add metatags to the index.html to the new shop

How to disable the old shop from the searchengines( but it must be possible to look at it if we want)

doumawis Smile

"Dan"hell-o
don't do a cpanel install. upload the install file and the tgz and do a web install. this way you're assured of the same version and some hosting companies customize the scripts.

well i should like to do ofcourse a webinstall, but dont get Agora to talk
Q1: programfiles: bin format + chmod ....?
Q2: install file asc2 format +chmod ..?

Quote:
furthermore, if you do a cpanel install then rename the store folder there is a possibility of the files reverting to default settings. cpanel installs can be a real pain.

i am not a masochist and like a 100% good working Agora and i did als other webinstalls but it don't work yet, but what means 'rename the storefolder?=> a already given name to the programfiles dir chance in a other name

Well i am stuck with thewebbased installation=> i made a shop via a cpanel installation and now i have to move this shop to the server of my brother to install there the final shop, BUT i do a pratice test on my ownserver=> i try to install there a webbased Agoracart and then build up than existing shop

doumawis Smile

Reply to topic Page 1 of 1