The Official Website of AgoraCart and Agora.cgi
AgoraCart.com Demos Download AgoraCart User Manuals & Wiki Gold Members Forum Go Gold Now! Gold Version Memberships

AgoraCart.com

About
Features
Download
Payment Gateways
Send a Donation
Founders Club
BLOG: News & Updates

Showcases & Demos

AgoraCart Demos
Shop Live Stores

Downloads & Add-ons

Gold Version Downloads
DBwizz Database Mgr.
AgoraCart.com Store

Help & Support

User Manuals
Gold Version Users Forum
Gold Version Chat
Tech Support
Certified Agora Pros
Certified Designers
Hire a Freelancer

Gold Version Members

Member Benefits
Join Today!
Gold Members Home
Gold Version Users Forum
Gold Version Chat Rooms
Gold Version Downloads

For Store Owners

Merchant Accounts
Cool Resources
Advertise Here
"Powered by" Logos
Web Hosting Search

Misc.

Contact Us
MEET's Talking Guide
The Ancient Greek Agora

AgoraCart Free User Forums

This is the official FAQ and Cool Tips guide For the AgoraCart shopping Cart software

Official Sponsors of the AgoraCart Project:

RegisterSearchFAQLog in
Reply to topic Page 1 of 1
Dynamic Product Options?
Post Dynamic Product Options? 
Hi,

I want my customers to make computer configurations much like the way you can see at Dell's web store, but I need a little bit more freedom. I need what I would call "dynamic options", meaning the menus appear dinamycally in the configuration page.

I'd like to give the customer the possibility to add options by simply having a "+" sign below a particular option. Let's say the customer is configuring her computer with two disks. The basic layout of the configuration page would show just one "Choose disk" drop-down menu, below that menu, I'd like to put that "+" sign so clicking on it would dinamycally create a new "Choose disk" drop down menu. Then the user would choose her second disk. The same would go for a third, a fourth, etc. with a limit on the number of a given type of component set by me.

The goal is keeping the configuration page tidy and elegant. There would be as many drop-down menus as components needed by the user. No more, no less.

Can this be done with AgoraCart? Any ideas?

Another even better approach would be to start with the very bare minimum required for building a computer. Then the user would have a drop-down menu called "Add addiotional component". Choosing "Optical drive", for instance, on that menu, would add a new drop-down menú to choose from the optical dives choices the store has available.

So my basic question would be: can options be added dynamically to the page being displayed?

I'm new to shopping carts and I'm Spanish, so if my English is a bit too confusing, please don't hesitate to ask for explanations.

Thanks everyone.

CM

You can set up your computer configuration options using the standard options files.
But to do it exactly the way you describe would take some extensive coding.

HTH!~

Get a Gold Membership
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger ICQ Number
Post RE: Dynamic Product Options? 
hell-o
try using javascript in the option file itself. something similar to a dynamic menu only instead of links you expand to bulleted, drop down, check boxes or any combination of option styles. it just may work.
plain options nested in a expanding menu...sounds like fun!
if you need help let me know!
regards,
dan

Problem with the javascript is that if the customer has javascript turned off in their browser, they will not be able to configure a system.
Mister Ed discourages the use of javascript for these types of things.

HTH!~

Get a Gold Membership
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger ICQ Number

First step was knowing if there was a solution to this problem INSIDE AgoraCart. It looks like it doesn't and for what I've seen, it's not a common feature in other free shopping cart software either.

You have made a good point on using javascript (I really don't care that much about people turning javascript off; I might put a sign somewhere telling users beforehand they must have turned it on). I think I'll come back to you guys if I go down that road.

Thanks everyone.

CM

there is script that detects whether or not java is enabled and i believe you can customize the meassage if java script is not enabled. been a while since i seen or used the script.
anyway, i haven't done this before but i'm kinda sure it's possible. shouldn't be any prob maintaining state as the js will be imbeded in the option itself. it maybe possible to do in dhtml but you may have xbrowser issues.
regards,
dan

Reply to topic Page 1 of 1