The Official Website of AgoraCart and Agora.cgi
AgoraCart.com Demos Download AgoraCart User Manuals & Wiki Gold Members Forum Go Gold Now! Gold Version Memberships

AgoraCart.com

About
Features
Download
Payment Gateways
Send a Donation
Founders Club
BLOG: News & Updates

Showcases & Demos

AgoraCart Demos
Shop Live Stores

Downloads & Add-ons

Gold Version Downloads
DBwizz Database Mgr.
AgoraCart.com Store

Help & Support

User Manuals
Gold Version Users Forum
Gold Version Chat
Tech Support
Certified Agora Pros
Certified Designers
Hire a Freelancer

Gold Version Members

Member Benefits
Join Today!
Gold Members Home
Gold Version Users Forum
Gold Version Chat Rooms
Gold Version Downloads

For Store Owners

Merchant Accounts
Cool Resources
Advertise Here
"Powered by" Logos
Web Hosting Search

Misc.

Contact Us
MEET's Talking Guide
The Ancient Greek Agora

AgoraCart Free User Forums

This is the official FAQ and Cool Tips guide For the AgoraCart shopping Cart software

Official Sponsors of the AgoraCart Project:

RegisterSearchFAQLog in
Reply to topic Page 1 of 1
Oversized Box
Post Oversized Box 
UPS has a certain size limit on their boxes.... we have an oversized item (over 60" long) that incurs a "oversized" fee of approximately $6.00.

Is there anyone to add that onto the shipping cost for just this specific item. We are doing ours by weight, if that helps anyone. I know we could just increase the cost of the item by $6.00, but that would increase the tax cost - and our sales manager wants me to figure out a way to do it purely for shipping.

So, if anyone has any ideas. Let me know! Thanks!

Oversized items are charged for a weight that is set for the size box that the item is in.
IE: A box that is 24" x 18" x 18" is charged as a box with a weight of 41#.

What size is the box that this item goes in?

Get a Gold Membership
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger ICQ Number
The box is 73" x 7.5" x 3" and it weighs 11 lbs. If I type in 11lbs and don't specify the dimensions, the cost is $6.00 cheaper. So, you're saying in order to take in account the oversized dimensions I just need to up the weight (even though it isn't that weight). Is their a formula to it?

That size box is not considered "oversize"...
any thing over 84" in total girth via UPS is considered "oversize"...

Get a Gold Membership
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger ICQ Number
Hmm... well on our UPS Worldship software here at work I type in the send to address, the weight, then if a box is too large I specify its dimensions. Without specifying (or specifying smaller dimensions) I get a certain cost. As soon as I specify the dimensions I stated earlier it has a price increase.

So, it appears as though for us that size box cost extra to ship because of how long it is.

In the Worldship software, when you specify dimensions, look in the "Detail" tab. You should see where the actual weight is specified and billed weight is. Then you can use the billed weight for your product in Agora's database.

HTH!

Get a Gold Membership
The actual weight is 11, and the billed weight is 11.

However if I put that weight in for the product it approximately the same cost as what it would be in UPS Worldship. However, because I am specifying the dimensions as well there is some sort of upcharge for having that long of box. So, I entered in the dimensions and then the price changed. I went to details and the weight billed was still 11, but the dimensions still changed the cost.

I appreciate your help in trying to figure this out with me. Any other ideas?

Make note of the amount when you enter the dimensions...
Then keep upping the weight, without dimensions, until the cost is close to the cost with dimensions.
Then use that weight.

It is strange that yours changes the amount when you put in dimensions but not the billed weight...
My Worldship doesn't...
Have you gone online to use UPS' online cost calculator to see what happens?
I am, also, assuming that you have Worldship 9.0 installed?

Get a Gold Membership
Yes, I do have Worldship 9.0 installed. I do notice under the 'options' tabs that there is a box called "Additional Handling" that is selected which is a $6.00 charge.

I haven't gone online and tried the online cost calculator. I will give that a shot and see what happens.

Also, I did the change in weight (kept upping it to get to where the other cost was with the dimensions entered in). Anyway, I got up to 52 lbs and I was within a couple cents of the original cost. However, then I changed the shipping location to a different area in the state and that same new weight that I entered did not work the same.

For example... location a costs 13.22 with the dimensions entered in. So, I delete the dimensions and up the weight from 11lbs to 52lbs and then the cost is 13.28. That works fine!

However, I change to location b and it costs 13.99 then without the dimensions and the weight from 11lbs to 52lbs it is now 18.57. So it varies depending on who you are shipping to (and I imagine whether or not they have some sort of UPS account).

The easiest thing for me to do would be to add a "handling" charge of $6.00 to just that one specific item... is that possible somehow?

I would just add the $6.00 to the price of the product...

Get a Gold Membership
Yeah, I was just trying to figure out the 'proper' way to go about it. Because that $6.00 would then be taxed upon, whereas if it were part of a shipping/handling charge that fee wouldn't incur the tax.

That isn't a big deal, just wanting it to be how it should be.

Thanks for all your help and suggestions! I really appreciate it.

If shipping & handling charges are combined, they are generally taxable.
You need to check with your state taxing authority to verify this information.
But that is what it is in most states that I have seen.
If you only charge a shipping charge that is exactly the shipping charges then it is generally not taxable, but if combined with any charges that are not shipping charges, they are taxable.

BTW, why do you need "Additional Handling"?

HTH!

Get a Gold Membership
I am not sure why it says "Additional Handling" under the UPS 'Options' tab and that it has a $6.00 charge. I assumed because of its size, but you're saying that an item with those dimensions shouldn't incur any additional costs?

I'll have to look into this with UPS.

Thanks!

I just looked it up in the Worldship definitions and here's the definition:
Quote:
Additional Handling

A shipment from any origin to any destination that requires additional handling due to its size or packaging is assessed an Additional Handling charge per package.

This charge applies to:

*Any article that is encased in an outside shipping container made of metal or wood.
*Any cylindrical item, such as a barrel, drum, pail, or tire, that is not fully encased in a corrugated cardboard shipping container.
*Any package for which the length exceeds 60 inches or the width exceeds 30 inches.
*Any package with an actual weight equal to or more than 70 pounds but less than or equal to 90 pounds and that does not have a Large Package Surcharge.

Additional Handling charges are applied without regard to the service level selected.

So, I guess you do need it...

Well, I would just go with the additional weight... After all, the quotes that are given by the UPS API are just that, quotes... and may vary from what is actually shipped and what the end costs are.

What gateway are you using? If Offline, it would be easy enough to only put through a CC charge for what it actually comes out to and if there are overages, you just adjust the amount. The one thing you don't want to do is to undercharge... It's easier to refund an overage than to try to collect on an undercharge...

HTH!

Get a Gold Membership
Reply to topic Page 1 of 1