The Official Website of AgoraCart and Agora.cgi
AgoraCart.com Demos Download AgoraCart User Manuals & Wiki Gold Members Forum Go Gold Now! Gold Version Memberships

AgoraCart.com

About
Features
Download
Payment Gateways
Send a Donation
Founders Club
BLOG: News & Updates

Showcases & Demos

AgoraCart Demos
Shop Live Stores

Downloads & Add-ons

Gold Version Downloads
DBwizz Database Mgr.
AgoraCart.com Store

Help & Support

User Manuals
Gold Version Users Forum
Gold Version Chat
Tech Support
Certified Agora Pros
Certified Designers
Hire a Freelancer

Gold Version Members

Member Benefits
Join Today!
Gold Members Home
Gold Version Users Forum
Gold Version Chat Rooms
Gold Version Downloads

For Store Owners

Merchant Accounts
Cool Resources
Advertise Here
"Powered by" Logos
Web Hosting Search

Misc.

Contact Us
MEET's Talking Guide
The Ancient Greek Agora

AgoraCart Free User Forums

This is the official FAQ and Cool Tips guide For the AgoraCart shopping Cart software

Official Sponsors of the AgoraCart Project:

RegisterSearchFAQLog in
Reply to topic Page 1 of 1
Apache/Win32 Install Help
Post Apache/Win32 Install Help 
I am creating a local development machine and have installed Apache. I am now trying to get a local version of Agora running but the agora.cgi is throwing off errors. There is probably some problem with the environment but i cannot find much in the docs about using agora with a winNT/XP host.

does anyone here have any tips or pointers on getting Agora to work under Apache/winXP???

- mark

you have to disable your XP server.
you need perl installed as well.
you also need to config your httpd.conf file or you wont be able to execute any perl/cgi let alone agoracart.
your best bet is to install a program like indigoperl where perl and apache are set up at the same time. it's free too.
regards,
dan

Post ok... 
well i did install a "bundled" apache distro (ApacheFriends XAMPP Lite) which does have CGI/Perl, PHP, MySQL etc. Do you know if I *need* mod_perl?

I can get the test cgi's to work, but when i run agora.cgi I get an "unable to create thread" error...any ideas?

I will try your suggestions. I am really trying to get a development environment running so I can start playing with the code. I am a professional C/C++ guy (over 15 years) who hasn't worked in *NIX since my school days (oh about a century ago), and PERL/CGI reminds me of the shell script programs I wrote in some 2000-level CS class...

I am really trying to shake the mounds of cobwebs off the neurons to get this system working...thanks for any and all help!

- mark

no, i don't believe mod perl is necessary. xampp is very good! however, i ma currently (as time allows) attempting to install in xp so agoracart will function properly. their newer versions i think make it much more difficult for the shebang to work.
what i had to do in windows 98 was do the install (with an older version) then move the usr folder and contents to c:\usr to create the path usr/bin/perl to match the shebang. another thing i did was create the path to perl in the autoexe.bat file. so there are probably two issues here. the path to perl and the httpd.conf file. you need to add handlers and allow for the
Options +ExecCGI
in the directory...

Options Indexes FollowSymLinks MultiViews Includes ExecCGI
AddType text/html .shtml
AddHandler server-parsed .shtml
AddHandler cgi-script .cgi .pl

<Directory "C:/xampp/cgi-bin">
AllowOverride None
Options Includes ExecCGI
AddHandler server-parsed .shtml
AddHandler cgi-script .cgi .pl
Order allow,deny
Allow from all
</Directory>
something to that effect. uncomment ssi and cgi handlers.

regards,
dan

Post well good news... 
Yes your suggestion about looking into the perl path was spot-on. By changing the perl path in agora.cgi to read

#!D:\xampplite\perl\bin\perl.exe -T

instead of the default

#!\usr\bin\perl -T

the cart has begun to work. I need to look into the httpd.conf docs to understand it more fully...what does it do exactly if you do not mind me asking, or pls send a link.

The only odd behavior is that when agora is run, CMD screens keep flashing on and off. I think it has to do with system calls and the XP handling of the PERL interpreter...what do you think?

Either way big THANKS for your time and expertise!

- mark

i noticed the same think in XP. the flashing dos windows. a real pain. maybe they should be set to echo off or something.
i haven;t had time to fully investigate.

having to change the shebang is unacceptable as far as i'm concerned but you have found the issue. maybe there is a way to set the path to perl in an alsised way. possibly even through the apache config file. there is tons of allowances for alised stuff like the cgi-bin even.
go to run. i'll post a copy of my config file someplace and send you a link so you can compare and pick it apart.
regards,
dan

you are right dan, changing the "shebang" is the wrong approach. I decided to take your approach and created a usr/bin under the ServerRoot (as defined in httpd.conf) and put a perl.exe there...it seems to work without having to modify the source files.

I am looking at the perl docs to see if there is some kinda "silent" mode or something...will keep you posted!

- mark

Post sendmail under winXP?? 
well, Dan, i'm at it again found a little time. I have got the cart kinda working but when i go to add an item to a cart I get this jolly error...

Content-type: text/html I can't find sendmail, shutting down...
Whoever set this machine up put it someplace weird.
(Edit library/mail-lib.pl to set the path manually.)

...so I deduce that i need to install sendmail on my XP box under apache...any tips of this?? I have found info about linux "make"-type install but not much for win...

As always, any help greatly appreciated!

- mark

Post Re: sendmail under winXP?? 
menriquez wrote:
well, Dan, i'm at it again found a little time. I have got the cart kinda working but when i go to add an item to a cart I get this jolly error...

Content-type: text/html I can't find sendmail, shutting down...
Whoever set this machine up put it someplace weird.
(Edit library/mail-lib.pl to set the path manually.)

...so I deduce that i need to install sendmail on my XP box under apache...any tips of this?? I have found info about linux "make"-type install but not much for win...

As always, any help greatly appreciated!

- mark

I just downloaded sendmail for Windows from:

http://www.indigostar.com/sendmail.htm

and all is running well. It will work on XP also

in ./library/mail_lib.pl

I placed the following according to my paths
$mailer0 = '/usr/bin/sendmail'; // not a real path
$mailer1 = '/apache/cgi-shl/sendmail';
$mailer2 = '/cgi-shl/sendmail';
$mailer3 = 'h:\apache\cgi-shl\sendmail.exe';
$mailer4 = '/sbin/sendmail'; // not a real path

I don't know which one it is exactly that worked it was one of the three, but it finally did so if it works, don't fix it.

Hope this helps

cool thanks for the send-mail solution.
i generally don't mess with emails locally so what i've been doing is adding a small edit to the agora.setup.db file. changing ...
Code:
$sc_mail_lib_path = "$sc_lib_dir/mail-lib.pl";
to
Code:
$sc_mail_lib_path = "$sc_lib_dir/send-mail-lib.pl";
send-mail-lib.pl is an alterantive to mail-lib.pl and doesn't complain if mail is not found.

regards,
dan

*very* cool CW and Dan...great help, great resource..dare I say "great" people?? :)
I think I will do both of these...install sendmail AND change the setup...

- mark

Post last but not least... 
Dan, maybe you have a quick answer for this one...the final problem seems to be that the picserve.cgi is not serving the images correctly. I suppose I could noodle around a bit but do you have a quick fix for this??

- mark

don't dare just say it... we are cool! Laughing j/k but thanks.
the new version of xampp and winxp isn't working out too good. i'm not familiar with either platform and very little time to play. but my older version of xampp and win95 through ME works fantastic.

hey did anyone ever get the flashing dos screen problem resolved in xp?

Quote:
I don't know which one it is exactly that worked it was one of the three, but it finally did so if it works, don't fix it.

can't you install sendmail to one of the paths already defined in the mail.pl? it would seem the less you have to tweak the local store file for function the better off you'll be when uploading (and forgetting to restore default settings) or having to constantly customize more than necessary for every local store you install.
just thinkin out loud.
regards,
dan

Last edited by Dan on Wed Aug 24, 05 10:55 am; edited 1 time in total
picserve is a sub program of agoracart and is one of those things that either works or it doesn't. if it doesn't then you've set up your store manager incorrectly.
try this if your images are in the store/html/images sub-directory...
path to images
html/images
selfserve?
YES
that should get it going. there is no reason to put the full url or anything else for the path if you're using the default sub-directory for images.
regards,
dan

Post no go 
well, i just can't seen to get the images served up...i have played with all the CONSTs at

agora_user_lib.pl

that seem to ref picserve.cgi, and have even hardcoded the actual paths ("D:/xampplite/...") but still i can;t get the images. Do you have any other places to look to get that to work? anyone?

- mark

can you get images to display anywhere within the store?
can you get images to display in any files?
is the store in the cgi-bin?
try uncommenting this line in your httpd.conf file...
LoadModule mime_module modules/mod_mime.so
might help. be sure to restart apache after uncommenting.
regards,
dan

1. no
2. no
3. no - what do you mean exactly "store in cgi-bin"??
4. i will try that.

thxs
- mark

make a copy of your httpd.conf file, rename to httpd.txt then upload to your site someplace and provide a direct link.
if images aren't showing up even on your homepage (127.0.0.1 or localhost) then apache is not allowing the images to be served. this is odd because by default all server setups i've see allow for images. other media types may have to be invoked but jpg, gif and png are minimal settings.
what os are you using and what version of xampp? are you sure you're using the correct version for the correct os?
regards,
dan

well i was a bit hasty with my last post...some images are being served (the banners most noticably)...just NONE of the cart images. i know i have been going on for a while with this, but i feel THIS is the LAST issue to get working, and want to conquer this molehill...

have you got picserve.cgi working?

did you revert back to the default shebang for your picserve file? sometimes when trying to get things to work we can overlook the little things. like changing all of the shebangs then when testing a for a new path just change one then test. and when it's working forget to bring all the others up to speed.
anotherthing would be to unpack a new store to the same directory you can run scripts from. test the default store install. do not change any of the image stuff in the store manager. just do the urls and the emails.
dan

dan

I am looking at the perl docs to see if there is some kinda "silent" mode or something...will keep you posted!

- mark

did you find a way to keep the dos windows from flashing?
i'll be working on that soon. my os took a nose dive big time so i thought i'd upgrade to xp. been going 24/7 setting up to where i was with ME. what a royal pain.
dan

Reply to topic Page 1 of 1