The Official Website of AgoraCart and Agora.cgi
AgoraCart.com Demos Download AgoraCart User Manuals & Wiki Gold Members Forum Go Gold Now! Gold Version Memberships

AgoraCart.com

About
Features
Download
Payment Gateways
Send a Donation
Founders Club
BLOG: News & Updates

Showcases & Demos

AgoraCart Demos
Shop Live Stores

Downloads & Add-ons

Gold Version Downloads
DBwizz Database Mgr.
AgoraCart.com Store

Help & Support

User Manuals
Gold Version Users Forum
Gold Version Chat
Tech Support
Certified Agora Pros
Certified Designers
Hire a Freelancer

Gold Version Members

Member Benefits
Join Today!
Gold Members Home
Gold Version Users Forum
Gold Version Chat Rooms
Gold Version Downloads

For Store Owners

Merchant Accounts
Cool Resources
Advertise Here
"Powered by" Logos
Web Hosting Search

Misc.

Contact Us
MEET's Talking Guide
The Ancient Greek Agora

AgoraCart Free User Forums

This is the official FAQ and Cool Tips guide For the AgoraCart shopping Cart software

Official Sponsors of the AgoraCart Project:

RegisterSearchFAQLog in
Reply to topic Page 1 of 1
Help with installing
Post Help with installing 
Hi there, I seem to be having some big problems with the loading of AgoraCart onto my computer. The following problems are happening.

I follow the prompts till I get to the Save files into folder: C:\EasyPHP then I click on the Next button.

Then it comes up with the window; This installer needs a web server for some tasks.

You entered the following path for the install location on your computer C:\EasyPHP\

Please enter the URL of the install location on your local web server.

Install location URL: Then I have the window http:// I enter in my domain name and then hit Next.

The following error comes up:

A folder 'ipf-work-dir-1133514902' has been created, but cannot be located on the web server.

Please adjust the URL so that it points to the location of the package install folder on the web, then click Next to retry.

I hit OK and then I dont know what else to do, Im only learning to do this for the first time and I really do want to use this program as it is part of the web host.

Please tell me what I am doing wrong, Im lost. Im a greenie when it comes to the internet and web sites.

Thanks

Fiona (LadyBeldaran)

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Are you trying to install this on your local computer or the web server?
If on a web server, is it linux, unix, or windows hosting?
AgoraCart requires Perl to run. You are placing it in a folder with PHP?
AgoraCart does not work well with PHP.
If you can tell us more of where you are trying to install AgoraCart we might be better able to assist you.

Get a Gold Membership
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger ICQ Number
Post Installing on Computer 
Bonnie,

I am trying to install it onto my home computer. I am using MS Windows as my operating system. I was sure that I was supposed to install it onto the computer as instructed in the installation instructions. Is this not how it is done? I am given the option of installing onto another computer. Im not sure what operating system the web host is. I am with planetdomain.

Fiona

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
The store will not work on your Windows local computer since perl is not installed on it.
You would need something like IndigoPerl to have it run on Windows.
You really don't need it to run on your local computer, though, just have files available for editing.
All you really need is to just unzip the agoracgi.tgz with a program like WinZip and extract to a folder on your computer. You can, then, use these files as your backup of original files and to do editing of the files.
Then, those edited files get uploaded via FTP in ASCII mode to the server. (Graphics and compressed files are uploaded in binary mode.)

As for installing to the web hosting at planetdomain, if they have cpanel access there is probably an icon for installing AgoraCart to the server and you will want to use that.

Once the cart is installed on the server, there is an excellent tutorial for getting started at:
http://www.allisonsonline.com/training/agora.cgi

HTH!

Get a Gold Membership
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger ICQ Number
Post Posting shopping cart onto web 
Thank you for your help so far, I just need to know how once I have entered all the products into the shopping cart, how do I get them to appear on the web site? I have seen other sites who have the papers listed in sub categories and such, will mine do the same? I am embarrassed to say I have no idea what happens once they are all listed.

Regards
Fiona

You basically have a link from the main part of the site into the cart for customers to enter the store.
If you are only selling products, you can have your home page of your site look exactly like the front page of the store, or, vice versa. Then the customers don't even realize when they are entering the store. Or you could just have a link on the home page that says something like, "Enter Our Online Store".
What is the URL to your store?

Get a Gold Membership
Post URL to store 
Hi and thanks again for your help, the url to my store is www.I like to run around all day waving my hands inthe air and screaming: I am Perl Harbor today.com.au, I think that is what you are asking for, or I have www.I like to run around all day waving my hands inthe air and screaming: I am Perl Harbor today.com.au/store Im not entirely sure to be honest.

Regards
Fiona

Actually, I found your store at:
http://www.I like to run around all day waving my hands inthe air and screaming: I am Perl Harbor today.com.au/shoppingcart/agora.cgi

BTW, don't worry about the link showing as
"www.I like to run around all day waving my hands inthe air and screaming: I am Perl Harbor today.com.au"
Clicking on the link still works...
It is just a result of the forums automatic word replacer... it doesn't like the word 'c r a p' and replaces everything with that as part of the word... hence, the word, 'outbacksc r a pping' gets replaced... I had to put spaces in the word to trick the word replacer...
The things Mister Ed thinks of... Rolling Eyes Laughing

HTH!

Get a Gold Membership
Post Is that where the store should be? 
Okay,

Im really showing how green I am at the web site stuff. Is that where the shopping cart should be? Have I set it all up wrong? Is that why I am having so many problems?

Regards

Fiona

Post My store 
Thanks for the link,

I would really like to use this store for my web, how do I go about incorporating the view I see and getting it to look the way I want it to? this is how I have been wanting to have it look, I just dont know how to get it to have the content I want.

I will eventually leave you alone. I really do appreciate all the help you have given me. If only I was given a manual with the web hosting to tell me what I had to do.

Fiona

It does not look to be set up wrong...
Please refer to the tutorial I mentioned in a previous post.
There is also a tutorial on headers and footers (which control the look of the site) at:
http://www.agorasupport.com/custom-headfoot.htm

There is a hack for being able to control colors & text of the headers & footers at:
http://www.agoracart.com/addon_display.htm

More on templates:
http://www.agoracart.com/help/owntemplate.html
http://www.agoracart.com/help/designsetuptutorial2a.html

To change the front page of the store, you will need to edit the index.html file found in the 'shoppingcart/html' directory on your server.

HTH!

Get a Gold Membership
Post SSL URL 
Bonnie,

You have been great in answering my questions, what does it mean in the System manager area about using SSL URL, does this mean do I want to have the Microsoft Frontpage and Agora to work together? Im beginning to think maybe I should have just bought a template for my shop. I have never had such a challenge in my life to understand all the instructions in getting my online store to be just right without having to ask so many questions, Im sure you are getting worried beyond hair repair with me. I dont seem to be able to understand the so called simple instructions.

Fiona

Everyone starts somewhere and asking questions is not a bad thing. There are a lot of resources available and we can help.
FrontPage, actually does not work very well with AgoraCart, unless it is set up properly as outlined in the tutorial I mentioned above.
You need to edit your html files in a plain html editor and not a WYSIWYG editor.

The SSL URL is a secure URL.
Something like:
https://www.mydomain.com/store.agora.cgi

as opposed to the regular URL of:
http://www.mydomain.com/store.agora.cgi

Your webhost may have shared SSL available on the server and you will need to ask them what the URL is for the shared SSL.

HTH!

Get a Gold Membership
Post Having trouble with Milehightrader's tutorial 
Hi

What I'm reading in a tutorial, I cannot replicate on my admin page:
I make it to Chapter 2's page in allisonsonline.com's New User tutorial, to the lines that say:

"At the top of the menu will be the following link. Click on it.
htaccess protect the /protected directory where this program is running
Scroll down the page to the bottom. Enter a user name and password for the .htaccess."

There's no link there. I don't know what the line "htaccess protect the /protected directory where this program is running" means. I don't see anything on my admin page that suggests it's connected with this.

I've read further into the tutorial and have seen layouts of links in the tutorial's example images that I don't see on my AgoraCart admin page.
I've also checked the source code of the page in case there's a link that isn't visible. I've also checked my browser's cookie settings in case I'm somehow blocking something that should load or be visible which isn't due to my security settings.

Now I'm stumped. I've the same version of AgoraCart loaded as what is recommended in the tutorial. (I'm using the WinXP OS.)

It doesn't seem that I should continue further with the tutorial if I can't get my admin page to look like what is being shown in the tutor -- some links shown in the tutorial aren't on my page in any form of wording.

What should I do?
Thanks in advance.

If it's not there, then it is probably already been done when you installed the cart from your cpanel.
The .htaccess is what causes a popup login window to appear when accessing the manager.
However, you probably have an old version and should probably download and install v5, which is the latest version. You can obtain the installer file for v5 from the "Downloads" page on this site. There is also a link to the install guide for v5, there.
DO NOT use the upgrader as that can cause more headaches for you, especially if you are just getting started with AgoraCart.

HTH!

Get a Gold Membership
Reply to topic Page 1 of 1