The Official Website of AgoraCart and Agora.cgi
AgoraCart.com Demos Download AgoraCart User Manuals & Wiki Gold Members Forum Go Gold Now! Gold Version Memberships

AgoraCart.com

About
Features
Download
Payment Gateways
Send a Donation
Founders Club
BLOG: News & Updates

Showcases & Demos

AgoraCart Demos
Shop Live Stores

Downloads & Add-ons

Gold Version Downloads
DBwizz Database Mgr.
AgoraCart.com Store

Help & Support

User Manuals
Gold Version Users Forum
Gold Version Chat
Tech Support
Certified Agora Pros
Certified Designers
Hire a Freelancer

Gold Version Members

Member Benefits
Join Today!
Gold Members Home
Gold Version Users Forum
Gold Version Chat Rooms
Gold Version Downloads

For Store Owners

Merchant Accounts
Cool Resources
Advertise Here
"Powered by" Logos
Web Hosting Search

Misc.

Contact Us
MEET's Talking Guide
The Ancient Greek Agora

AgoraCart Free User Forums

This is the official FAQ and Cool Tips guide For the AgoraCart shopping Cart software

Official Sponsors of the AgoraCart Project:

RegisterSearchFAQLog in
Reply to topic Page 1 of 1
TarTar Sauce!
Post TarTar Sauce! 
I found 2 different sets of installation instructions, directly from Agora sites, both differing in the final step as far as what to type into the browser. I'll get to that later.

Anyway, I'm wondering if this is part of my problem, when downloading the zip files, we're told to to get the correct installer for either the tgz or the tar carts, yet they're BOTH .tar or .tar.tar files. This kind of thing really makes it difficult for those of us who don't really need to know all this computer gibberish because, in my case, this is a one-time thing and I'll never need to do this again. So, I will totally forget every bit of it a week from now, just like algebra.

BTW, I can't get any help from my host - ANHosting from MidPhase - they treat you like you're supposed to know it all already, and act as if you're bothering them as they IM and text message/email friends while they're talking to you. Their so-called 24/7 hotline for support, or even sales, doesn't have anyone answering again today, just like yesterday morning. After waiting 20 minutes yesterday afternoon, some fool started to answer, then clicked the wrong button and hung up on me, causing me to have to wait another 1/2 hour only to receive no help once again. They don't know how to help me set up a shopping cart.

I put in a complaint to a manager and haven't heard back from him either. They completely suck! Sorry, I just had to get that off my chest...And warn others not to join their horrible "service".

Oh yeah, and when using this forum, what the heck is BBCode? Please help.

Evidently, you are trying to download the old v4 version...
You want to get v5...

Get a Gold Membership
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger ICQ Number
Post Nay 
Thanks for responding.

No, actually this is the link - http://www.agoracart.com/download.htm - and these are the choices near the top of the page (Version 5.0.00) -
AgoraCart Shopping Cart - AgoraCart5_0.tgz
or
AgoraCart Shopping Cart - AgoraCart5_0.tar.gz

If you just click on them but don't install, you'll see that they're both .tar or .tar.tar files.

I don't think this rediculous Windows Vista operating system should make any difference, should it?

Post Also... 
I found in another topic, someone asking a similar question and you offered them a link to a zip folder with both the v4 tgz and installer. Why do you suggest to others, then, like me that we need v5 anyway? I'm confused. But please don't take my direct language as an attitude as most people do.

Thanks

Post Oops! 
I see, that was August 5th of 2006. Sorry, just ignore these last 2 replies.

Get the FTP5 file... That is the v5 installer file... It is what you want to use when installing the cart...

HTH!

Get a Gold Membership
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger ICQ Number
Post Already.. 
I already have it uploaded into my file manager, in the same location. But you didn't address my question... Did you see that they're both .tar files?

when using xp or xp pro microsnot in their infinate wisdom renames the tgz and some other extensions to tar. just mak note of the proper file extension then after it's finished downloading rename the file back to the original. do not try to use the zip file for installing. that file is for picking out original files when forgetting to backup files before editing or other silly things like that.
so for example download the tgz file, when done rename from .tar back to .tgz then upload to the server via ftp in binary. chmod to 755 and make sure the extension is correct. then run the installer file on it.
d

Post OK 
Thanks for you help.

use the appropriate installer files in the zip files. the zip files will be plainly labeled according to the installer they contain. unzip the installer file the ftp in ascii, chmod to 755 then access the installer file with your browser. after installing delete both install files so you don't install over an existing store.

the auto installer... download the auto installer, unzip, ftp in ascii, chmod to 755, access the installer file with your browser then install. no tgz,gz or tar files to mess with.
d

Reply to topic Page 1 of 1